Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2011, 10:49 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
The right wing is against the liberal safety net system. So...my question is (and republicans espouse this belief that help should come from personal charity and the churches), why aren't the churches flinging their doors open to house the homeless and those in need? Certainly they have plenty of pews (aka benches) and could afford a few sleeping bags from those Sunday collections.

WWJD?

good Question!! They sure do know how to talk the talk, but walking it is another story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 10:46 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
good Question!! They sure do know how to talk the talk, but walking it is another story.
Riiight. That's why conservatives donate more money that libbies. Because libbies prefer giving away other people's money.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:29 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,829 times
Quote:
No, honestly, I had this conversation with my mother and she got so perturbed (as a republican and church goer), I thought I'd ask it here.
My church supports two homeless shelters. I have received money from my church to help pay medical bills when I had no insurance. My church has helped with auto repair bills. Churches establish benevolence funds to help the poor in the community with rent, utilities, and food.

Although, most churches do want to help with job searches so if a person doesn't want to work, then a church may not be able to help. A person eventually needs to try to take responsibility if they are able.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:01 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
The right wing is against the liberal safety net system. So...my question is (and republicans espouse this belief that help should come from personal charity and the churches), why aren't the churches flinging their doors open to house the homeless and those in need?
Lawsuits.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
The OP has not gone silent. The OP wants to know why the churches do not open their doors and let their church benches be used as a place to sleep.
You already know why.

Besides, most churches are businesses. They aren't in the business of charity although some do have a charity or two.

Churches and religion are a joke. No one really believes in this stuff anyway. But hey, ya gotta keep up appearances and make it look good.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Riiight. That's why conservatives donate more money that libbies. Because libbies prefer giving away other people's money.
That's a bunch of crap. I've never believed that nonsense. It's something that's been said so often that people actually take it as fact.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:58 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
First of all, the thread title is a little misleading. There are some conservative churches, but there is no political test to join a church. Some people are politically liberal or moderate yet religiously conservative. Secondly, as has been amply demonstrated in this thread, churches are doing a lot for the poor/homeless.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:00 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,620,504 times
Quote:
The right wing is against the liberal safety net system. So...my question is (and republicans espouse this belief that help should come from personal charity and the churches), why aren't the churches flinging their doors open to house the homeless and those in need? Certainly they have plenty of pews (aka benches) and could afford a few sleeping bags from those Sunday collections.

WWJD?
My church does provide food and help to the poor. We also donate to local homeless shelters. My wife and I make a monthly donation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's a bunch of crap. I've never believed that nonsense. It's something that's been said so often that people actually take it as fact.
Why don't you believe it? Why do you think we're for less social programs and smaller government? Think about it. If the government takes less money from us we have more to spend on charity and helping people. Libs on the other hand, tend to think government should take care of it instead of personally doing it themselves.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:00 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:

WWJD?
Somehow I don't think you spend much time in churches. Or else you would know that almost every one of them participates in some kind of ministry to the homeless, not by making them listen to scripture, but by giving them food, a place to stay, and support while lives are turned around. My church participates in a ministry with thirteen other churches and synagogues to give people a decent place to live. We set up our church's common areas, provide them with food, a warm place to sleep and--most importantly of all--dignity.

A shame that you would rather make unfounded generalizations instead of actually learning the truth for yourself.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:04 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,397,212 times
Quote:

WWJD?

I don't know. Why doesn't the party of theft give away all of their money to the homeless instead of buying iPads and granola?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies