Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 07:43 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Give me a library for a week and I will go farther than if you gave me a rifle, a pistol and free ammo for life. I would bet my life on that. But hey, it does take more effort to read than shoot something, so I can understand why some people would prefer the rifle.
Actually hunting isn't exactly easy, I know hunters that get the big deer consistently every year where less experienced ones would be happy to get one like it in their lifetime.

Knowledge is important but true outdoorsman have this knowledge already, survival is not something you want to learn on the fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 07:44 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,765,700 times
That does sound a bit sad, for the neighbors. Farmers are pretty practical, and they look out for one another, and they have plenty of family members in the city who send money back to the farm.

Having paranoid nutcase buying the farm next door would be their worst nightmare. Hopefully, he will turn off the talk radio and focus on the food growing part instead of the apocalypse stuff.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:46 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Actually hunting isn't exactly easy, I know hunters that get the big deer consistently every year where less experienced ones would be happy to get one like it in their lifetime.

Knowledge is important but true outdoorsman have this knowledge already, survival is not something you want to learn on the fly.
And giving a bunch of 'redneck country boys' (the OP's words, not mine!) rifles and pistols isn't exactly something you want to do in a crisis scenario either.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:55 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I want to see a stinky city slicker go try to stalk and kill some food for his family, with a 9mm glock!

The cities are where the panic and starvation are going to take place.
Pray tell...when will this tumult occur? People have been waiting for A LONG time...yet the world seems to be increasingly urban...

Old 07-14-2011, 07:57 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,290 times
I like the image, now partially verified, of hyperconservative nuts out in the sticks fantasizing about the one situation where they'd be able to attack major cities (apparently this civil war would be fought entirely across socioeconomic lines somehow).

Us city liberals mostly fantasize about a situation where there is a more metaphorical "war" over capital and resources, and we use our superior intelligence to secure disproportionate amounts. OH WAIT THAT IS WHAT THE WORLD IS ACTUALLY LIKE

Old 07-14-2011, 07:58 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Two years after he started he was my Dad's boss...because he had the degree.
That's unfortunate, the thing is someone like that could go farther than your Dad in farming IF they were given a firm base in real experience. You have two sides of the coin here, you're Dad for example might know what fertilizer does and does not work from experience. The guy with the degree knows why it does and does not work and could offer other solutions.

In any event I'll take the experience of an intelligent person without a degree over someone inexperienced every time.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Honestly...it seems like most "intelligent, educated, organized people" I have known tend to be unable to cross the street without their school or the government telling them how or when to do it.
I find the same sort of thing...except in the opposite direction. People who bash the intelligent and educated seem to lack critical thinking skills.

With that said, I don't believe that you have to be educated to be intelligent. I just feel that those people who consistently BASH the educated are not exactly intelligent. They seem to be waiting for others to tell them what to think.

I find more critical thinking in those that are educated. This does not mean that all educated people possess the skills needed to problem solve. However, there seems to be less of what you are saying with educated people.

To be fair, this all speculation on both of our sides.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's unfortunate, the thing is someone like that could go farther than your Dad in farming IF they were given a firm base in real experience. You have two sides of the coin here, you're Dad for example might know what fertilizer does and does not work from experience. The guy with the degree knows why it does and does not work and could offer other solutions.

In any event I'll take the experience of an intelligent person without a degree over someone inexperienced every time.
We don't know the whole story. We don't know how he performed in those two years. We don't know the capacity he served as. We don't know why he called the mother.

Again critical thinking before leaping to conclusions.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:13 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
You're kidding yourself. When it goes down, the intelligent, educated, organized people will organize and quickly take over every dimension of any new society, and will survive just fine. The survivalists living on burnt hamburger and peanuts will be given latrine detail.
Why do you think those who live in cities are intelligent,educated and organised?

Old 07-14-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Why do you think those who live in cities are intelligent,educated and organised?
We know that they are on the whole more educated. That's a fact. Intelligent, that's a little iffy. I will concede that there are many ways to define intelligence. Organized is too vague. If you mean socially, then obviously cities are more organized. If you mean in terms of personal cleanliness, that's too subjective and too vague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies