Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:19 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It doesn't matter because if the bus and train/subway isn't running, and there are no cabs to call, they can't leave. They'll just have to hunker down in Whole Foods and Starbucks until their money runs out...And in Los Angeles, they'll be stuck in traffic.
Funny you wrote this...because from watching the idiots who make up most of our society I have come to the semi-serious conclusion most will be found dead in their cars,on the evacuation routes...

Just skeletal remains,sitting behind the wheel waiting for traffic to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 08:25 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
I like the image, now partially verified, of hyperconservative nuts out in the sticks fantasizing about the one situation where they'd be able to attack major cities (apparently this civil war would be fought entirely across socioeconomic lines somehow).

Us city liberals mostly fantasize about a situation where there is a more metaphorical "war" over capital and resources, and we use our superior intelligence to secure disproportionate amounts. OH WAIT THAT IS WHAT THE WORLD IS ACTUALLY LIKE
Hmm. This kinda touches on what i was thinking bout this thread. Are we talking about lifestyle or political persuasion as a deciding factor related to "survival skills"? Personally I do feel born and bred country folks are more self reliant and skilled in coping with a lack of....amenities than city dwellers...generally speaking. We live thus every day out here. Whether we are better armed is open to debate however I do think we get more...practical use from our firearms in and around our living space. Ill take the rural dwellers on my side in shtf circumstances. Regardless of politics. That said there aint that many "liberal" types hanging out in my neck of the woods.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
We know that they are on the whole more educated.
Ahh,the famed higher education...

Quote:
That's a fact.
Is it?
Quote:
Intelligent, that's a little iffy.
Quite true,living in overcrowded hovels and paying exorbitantly for the privilege isn't a sign of intelligence in my opinion.

Quote:
Organized is too vague.If you mean socially, then obviously cities are more organized.
By a bureaucracy that would not exist...from what I have seen,most urban dwellers could not function well without a very large support system picking up the trash,providing water and sewer,etc,etc.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:31 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Funny you wrote this...because from watching the idiots who make up most of our society I have come to the semi-serious conclusion most will be found dead in their cars,on the evacuation routes...

Just skeletal remains,sitting behind the wheel waiting for traffic to move.

That is so true, in so many ways!

Thanks for the laugh. that was good.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:33 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Unless your ammo is being manufactured where you live, there's no need to take your guns away.
In fact we have a neighbor that makes ammo.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:36 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Hmm. This kinda touches on what i was thinking bout this thread. Are we talking about lifestyle or political persuasion as a deciding factor related to "survival skills"? Personally I do feel born and bred country folks are more self reliant and skilled in coping with a lack of....amenities than city dwellers...generally speaking. We live thus every day out here. Whether we are better armed is open to debate however I do think we get more...practical use from our firearms in and around our living space. Ill take the rural dwellers on my side in shtf circumstances. Regardless of politics. That said there aint that many "liberal" types hanging out in my neck of the woods.
I mean, there are more readily available amenities in cities. That's why people live in them. This isn't a bad thing, it's the mark of social and economic progress. It's also why rich city-types tend to make more money and get more education - they have the time to.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:36 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I had one neighbor with all kinds of degrees, really intelligent person but he barely knew which end of a screwdriver to hold. My favorite story about him was when he called me in a panic because a water pipe burst in his basement and he didn't know how to shut it off... There was things he be asking me to do that my nephew knew how to do before he was 10.
I think I know that guy..........

Old 07-14-2011, 08:37 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Ahh,the famed higher education...

Is it?

Quite true,living in overcrowded hovels and paying exorbitantly for the privilege isn't a sign of intelligence in my opinion.

By a bureaucracy that would not exist...from what I have seen,most urban dwellers could not function well without a very large support system picking up the trash,providing water and sewer,etc,etc.
Yes it is true.

I live in the WORLD'S second largest metropolitan area (Seoul) in a FREE two bedroom apartment by myself. Not a hovel. I grew up in the suburbs outside of Los Angeles...not a hovel. My family lived in San Diego, America's 9th largest city...not a hovel. I think that you're not making a good case for "intelligence" here...

Prior to sub urbanization, the town I grew up in was mostly rural. It has roads, trash collection, pipes for water, and proper drainage. There were public schools, the sheriff was in the next town over as well as the fire department. Most of rural America depends on much of the same things as urban/suburban America. Sorry, but you also have a VERY large support system as well...

Old 07-14-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
I mean, there are more readily available amenities in cities. That's why people live in them. This isn't a bad thing, it's the mark of social and economic progress. It's also why rich city-types tend to make more money and get more education - they have the time to.
Amenities?
Such as....?

Old 07-14-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post

I live in the WORLD'S second largest metropolitan area (Seoul) in a FREE two bedroom apartment by myself. Not a hovel. I grew up in the suburbs outside of Los Angeles...not a hovel. My family lived in San Diego, America's 9th largest city...not a hovel. I think that you're not making a good case for "intelligence" here...
I do believe anecdotes are not generally accepted as factual...
In your current locale,how many people live in homes with more than 1500 square feet?

Quote:
Prior to sub urbanization, the town I grew up in was mostly rural. It has roads, trash collection, pipes for water, and proper drainage. There were public schools, the sheriff was in the next town over as well as the fire department.
Town...operative word.

Quote:
Most of rural America depends on much of the same things as urban/suburban America. Sorry, but you also have a VERY large support system as well...
I do?
Where does my water come from?
Where does my sewage go to?
Where is the rainwater runoff directed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies