Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:46 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,689,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Amenities?
Such as....?
Things like restaurants of various cuisines (as opposed to driving 10 miles to Red Lobster for 'fancy nights'), various little boutique shops, etc. It's not for everyone. I love all the things you can do and all the restaurants in DC, but ultimately I'd rather live farther out in a quiet suburb. Preferably one with a historic town district, those are nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 08:47 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,631 times
Quote:
Amenities?
Such as....?
Universities, museums, other cultural venues, shops, jobs, ...is that a real question what amenities exist in cities?

Look I love the countryside. I miss shooting out in the alfalfa fields during the summer time in the Inland Empire with my brother. I miss playing truth or dare in the neighbor's grapefruit grove. I loved the stillness of the farms outstretched beneath me when hiking around looking at the valley below. I liked how my first car accident was when I was learning to drive and I almost hit an orange tree.

However, I think that both city people and country people have their strengths and weaknesses. Objectively speaking, there are more opportunities in the city and overall a better standard of living.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I do believe anecdotes are not generally accepted as factual...
In your current locale,how many people live in homes with more than 1500 square feet?

Town...operative word.

I do?
Where does my water come from?
Where does my sewage go to?
Where is the rainwater runoff directed?
It's called the census...try looking at it before posting things like " I do believe anecdotes are not generally accepted as factual..."

In my current locale, the average home is roughly 160 sq. meters (about 1,600 sq. feet) This is Asia...even when it was rural Bundang did not have mcmansions...something I wholeheartedly believe.

Not city. Two very different things.

You don't drive on streets? You are completely off the grid (you generate your own electricity?) You made your own telecommunication network? Wow!

Old 07-14-2011, 08:53 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,550 times
Wow. This whole thing reads like a survivalist wanking fantasy where they are Rambo and everyone walks into their machine gun, then they yell and tanks explode while helicopters fall out of the sky. Then they finish by thinking how they never got much education or smarts, and while those people have been wiping the floor with them in every venue until then...but in their fantasy they win.

I guess fantasies can take you away from how much your life sucks, but reality usually forces people to grow up.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
In fact we have a neighbor that makes ammo.
I don't have the equipment anymore but my brother and I were able to make a few thousand rounds in a few hours. The issue with that is you still need the supplies. The casings can be reused and worse case scenario on the slug is casting your own. The powder and the percussion cap is another story.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:00 AM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,096 times
Default " It Be A Good Thang Ta Ave A Good Shootin Iron Around Da House" ... Qiute !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You got that right!

In every disaster, natural or otherwise, it is always the city critters who get relief first, because if they did not they would starve by the millions. They are completely dependent upon the support systems only a city can provide. Without that support, they are toast. They have no skills at all.

It also is the reason every metropolis is a haven for liberal freaks. Parasites that can only live off the labor of others.
Glitch !!! ... You Are On The Money !

Indeed ... Your last sentence is absolutely a pearl of great wisdom !

Without doubt you have got their number Glitch !!! Jolly well said !

How pitiful these bloody muppets truly appear to be and yes these blighters are the very reason for the unparalled decadence within many of America's big cities !!!

I be ah sidin with them thar ole "rednecks" motorbike fellers fer dang sure ! ... They be a mighty rough bunch an all and jest loves ta jack a few jawls ever now an then ... What !

Them thar redneck boys and girls be ah good bunch ah folks ... sometimes ah little "Jaw Jackin" be ah good thang thar ya'll ... Ain't dat so Glitch ?

The "Stigmata" = "Liberal Loons" ... America's destruction from within !

Ya'll ave a really nice dae thar blokes ! Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 07-14-2011, 09:00 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Universities, museums, other cultural venues, shops, jobs, ...is that a real question what amenities exist in cities?
Good point. I have never seen a university, museum, store, or job outside of a city with less than a few million people.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:04 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Things like restaurants of various cuisines (as opposed to driving 10 miles to Red Lobster for 'fancy nights'), various little boutique shops, etc.
You mean distractions from the surroundings?

Quote:
It's not for everyone. I love all the things you can do and all the restaurants in DC, but ultimately I'd rather live farther out in a quiet suburb. Preferably one with a historic town district, those are nice.
A friend's wife was VERY into big city life...theater,etc,etc....my question was how often did you go to justify the crap you have to put up with?

But I am glad millions choose to stay in the cities....

Old 07-14-2011, 09:06 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
LOL...yes there are no such things outside of cities...ohh wait,yes there is.

Quote:
. Objectively speaking, there are more opportunities in the city and overall a better standard of living.
I doubt that for MOST urban dwellers there is a better standard of living,they may earn more money(if you base quality of life on something so unimportant) however.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Good point. I have never seen a university, museum, store, or job outside of a city with less than a few million people.
Right because cities are only a few million people. Thus San Francisco is not a city...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies