Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 02:27 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Again, I answered your question although it was a failed attempt to change the direction of the thread.

You have yet to answer ANY one of mine.

Yeah Sam try a little intellectual honesty.
Please quote these ignored questions you speak of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 02:28 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,201 times
[quote=SamBarrow;21028602]Disparate != Intertwined
Quote:
A mispelled word proves???
How insepid.

Quote:
I never said it did. I just don't think the solution is more racism.

You would think it is racism. The concept is simply one you fail to comprehend.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Race and class are intertwined, which is why class-based affirmative action would still disproportionately benefit minorities without recourse to racial quotas.
If by intertwined you mean there are disparities, fine, they are intertwined. And I don't have a problem with disparate impact as long as the focus isn't on race.

Quote:
Instead, our current system allows universities to select the best and brightest (and usually wealthiest) blacks to diversify their brochures and leave poor students in the lurch.
Which is wrong.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:30 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,172,104 times
If MLK JR were alive today he would be called a racist by the liberals. Liberals judge people based on the color of their skin.

6,129 posts, read 6,813,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
That may be the case but think of it this way: If that student is accepted into a college, what's to say he can now learn the study skills, etc. necessary for successfully finishing college? He may drop out and that spot could have gone to someone who would finish.
No, many colleges already have these programs and they offer special services for kids who are smart but may be coming in at a disadvantage (first generation students, low income students, etc). The programs tend to work. Once you get kids past that first transition year things level out.

I think the disconnect comes from parents, etc thinking of college as something their kid has earned by virtue of their grades. But the admissions people are not really looking to reward people, they are trying to assemble a good class. Their job is to fill the class with interesting students that fit the school's culture and whom they think can do the work. The difference between the viewpoints is where the tension is, I think.

Quote:

Instead, our current system allows universities to select the best and brightest (and usually wealthiest) blacks to diversify their brochures and leave poor students in the lurch.
Now THAT is the truth. I wholeheartedly agree. Most of the minority students going to selective colleges these days are middle class. Very few poor people of any race get in outside a special program, and those programs are kept small if they exist on a campus at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
You would think it is racism. The concept is simply one you fail to comprehend.
And you think that choosing a black kid over a white kid based on race is not discriminatory and/or racist.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:32 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
I would never let my daughter mark the 'race' category on any admissions sheet, just for the reason that someone may think she didn't get in on her

What's to stop a person from checking an "incorrect" box? Are there race police to prevent it?b

Old 09-25-2011, 02:36 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
If by intertwined you mean there are disparities, fine, they are intertwined. And I don't have a problem with disparate impact as long as the focus isn't on race.

Which is wrong.
Sam, you're terrified of any acknowledgment of race on the part of the state at all.

I don't agree with that.

I simply believe that affirmative action is an ineffective stop-gap solution that allows people to avoid looking at the systemic inequalities in our society.

Unfortunately for you, these inequalities are in large part predicated on racial segregation and the fact that America is still trying to escape the legacy of white supremacy.

What we have now is a milquetoast liberal notion of diversity which assumes that putting a few people of color in the right places will act as a panacea for a wretchedly broken system. When I militate in favor of class-based affirmative action, I don't do it because, like you, I'm afraid to think about race. I do it because I recognize that a vaguely multicultural oligarchy is still an oligarchy.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:37 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,395,125 times
Quote:
Yet most current diversity initiatives are structured in a way that does prefer rich blacks over poor whites.
WHAT are you basing that on?

If dad's rich, connections, alumnus status, school/booster supports, common social circles plays more of role than your kid being black.

The rich black kid is less likely to be on the bubble (actually the rich kid period) and 'need' to have someone overlook subpar scores.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:39 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Please quote these ignored questions you speak of.
Wealthy whites benefit from resources that are unavailable to poor black students.

Per percentage of the population, black people are overwhelmingly more poor than white people and a higher number per individual count of this country.

Is not the bar lowered when wealthy white students score extra points because they have been coached/ tutored to the ACT and SAT?

Is that not affirmative action for whites?

How is legacy admissions not lowering the bar for whites when it affords them an enormous advantage over others.

Is that not affirmative action for whites.

Does this country not have a separate and unequal education system that overwhelmingly benefits white people across the educational spectrum.

You can deny, evade, spin, all you want. The minute you tell me that this is a color blind society and that the wealthy and the majority of top tier colleges are not geared towards wealthy whites and whites in particular, is when a your intellectual capital has been spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies