Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 09:50 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times

Advertisements

I think when someone like her credibly speaks out in favor of getting educated, that can be very motivating, particularly with Hispanic boys and kids in general.
With many young people these days education is considered a bit uncool, nerdy...

Plus, an adviser doesn't decide anything, they just say their opinion, which might or might not be considered by decision makers, who hopefully are experts in their fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 09:52 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, after all many of those conservatives complaining here about Shakira's little adviser's job now would have liked to see Palin as their next president
We seem to be reading two different threads. I cannot read the one you're commenting on since it appears to exist only in your imagination. I just did a quick scan and it seems that, as usual, the person (You) who brought up Palin was on the left. Go figure.

Hey, if Palin is the one at the forefront of your thoughts, that's fine. Whatever trips your trigger.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
It is axiomatic amongst the RW that women do not have any intelligence and that dancers in particular cannot have any brains. These little boys can't stand the competition.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
We seem to be reading two different threads. I cannot read the one you're commenting on since it appears to exist only in your imagination. I just did a quick scan and it seems that, as usual, the person (You) who brought up Palin was on the left. Go figure.

Hey, if Palin is the one at the forefront of your thoughts, that's fine. Whatever trips your trigger.
Nah, I was just thinking of the most extreme opposite of Shakira and Palin popped up
I did read this afternoon that Palin said she would not run for the presidency, that might have influenced my choice, though... Plus, I couldn't remember the name of the other TP woman.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:58 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Not once is it said that she was the "brains" behind any of this!!

She's got cash and fame!

A lot of dumb athletes and celebs "found" charities! But they hired people to to do the speaking and organizing.

What's a founding memebr except someone who was there at the beginning. Again.....did she do the "organizing"??

Goodwill Ambassador??? What do you need for that except good looks and a hit movie or record???

What are her qualifications.....the one's that count!!??

This is why Obama wants her next to him....he aint slick! LOL

Shakira - Whenever, Wherever - YouTube
The problem is that you assume she is "brainless" based on zero information. You don't know how intelligent she is, but because you don't like Obama, you gleefully bash someone that you admittedly know very little about.

You don't know how deeply she was involved in the Barefoot Foundation, but the Foundation SHE started has helped thousands of children. And she went on to be a founding member of another organization aimed at helping children. She collaborated with the World Bank--that means she was involved with the negotiations and plans (key word----INVOLVED, not just a figurehead) to help distribute educational materials and programs. The thing to note about this is that her commitment to children's education over the past TWO DECADES is not the commitment of an idle celebrity. She's been involved in multiple organizations, for an extended period of time, and bashing her for being attractive and for being an entertainer simply doesn't make any sense.

Jerry Lewis was a comedian and an entertainer. And he was also a very smart man, who was very involved with charity work. Do you think he knows anything about Muscular Dystrophy, or is he just an airhead know-nothing, like the people he often portrayed on screen?

Old 10-06-2011, 10:02 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM 156 View Post
First Scarlet Johansson on his BlackBerry... Now Shakira...
Don't forget Lady GaGa.......

Old 10-06-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
It is axiomatic amongst the RW that women do not have any intelligence and that dancers in particular cannot have any brains. These little boys can't stand the competition.
I guess despite the drooling there is a general disrespect for strong and beautiful women.
A couple of days ago I was watching a quiz show where a dozen or so candidates have to answer lots of questions. After every round the remaining candidates decide who was the weakest player and thus has to leave. There was a strikingly attractive woman among them and right after the first round most candidates (almost all of them men) decided she was the weakest player. Statistics showed however that she was by far not the weakest, several men had more wrong answers than her. That was very telling and I am not sure the men were even aware of their attitude.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:18 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I guess despite the drooling there is a general disrespect for strong and beautiful women.
A couple of days ago I was watching a quiz show where a dozen or so candidates have to answer lots of questions. After every round the remaining candidates decide who was the weakest player and thus has to leave. There was a strikingly attractive woman among them and right after the first round most candidates (almost all of them men) decided she was the weakest player. Statistics showed however that she was by far not the weakest, several men had more wrong answers than her. That was very telling and I am not sure the men were even aware of their attitude.
Lack of self-awareness is a dangerous thing, and there seems to be an epidemic of it going on.
The rest of your post is spot-on, as evidenced by some of the posts in this thread.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I learned a lot about beautiful women by living with one for over 45 years and being around a lot more at school and at work. The old adage applies: Never judge a book by its cover. Same goes for people.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:25 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,389,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The problem is that you assume she is "brainless" based on zero information. You don't know how intelligent she is, but because you don't like Obama, you gleefully bash someone that you admittedly know very little about.

You don't know how deeply she was involved in the Barefoot Foundation, but the Foundation SHE started has helped thousands of children. And she went on to be a founding member of another organization aimed at helping children. She collaborated with the World Bank--that means she was involved with the negotiations and plans (key word----INVOLVED, not just a figurehead) to help distribute educational materials and programs. The thing to note about this is that her commitment to children's education over the past TWO DECADES is not the commitment of an idle celebrity. She's been involved in multiple organizations, for an extended period of time, and bashing her for being attractive and for being an entertainer simply doesn't make any sense.

Jerry Lewis was a comedian and an entertainer. And he was also a very smart man, who was very involved with charity work. Do you think he knows anything about Muscular Dystrophy, or is he just an airhead know-nothing, like the people he often portrayed on screen?

If Shakira had anything to offer besides her body, she would be in a lab somewhere applying her intellect.

Instead, she capitializes on the only think of value she has....her body. Just like a stripper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies