Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 11:40 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
If Shakira had anything to offer besides her body, she would be in a lab somewhere applying her intellect.

Instead, she capitializes on the only think of value she has....her body. Just like a stripper.
That's a silly argument. A woman can have brains and beauty, and capitalizes on both by pursuing the most lucrative career. A stripper isn't stupid by virtue of her vocation (or his vocation, because men perform as strippers as well). What job in a lab would pay Shakira a comparable income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 11:43 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
If Shakira had anything to offer besides her body, she would be in a lab somewhere applying her intellect.

Instead, she capitializes on the only think of value she has....her body. Just like a stripper.
What a completely chauvinistic comment.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:19 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
I even agree that she exaggerates sexuality in her job, that seems to be pretty common these days (Beyonce etc.). Then again, she is from Latin America, Colombia even, not from Iowa.
Maybe she is even making fun of show business and its superficiality, and eventually herself.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:01 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,549,229 times

Shakira immigration - YouTube

She knows nothing about even the law in Arizona!! And yet there she is!!

Old 10-06-2011, 01:03 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,549,229 times

Shakira talking about anti-immigration law - YouTube

Just listen to this Bimbo!!

Old 10-06-2011, 02:09 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,656 times
Quote:

Popular Entertainers, particularly in the US, tend to make considerably more than rocket scientists. I have no idea of her intellectual prowess but if she had a 180+ IQ and chose to while her life away sequestered in some underground lab for $65K/year when someone was willing to throw uncounted millions at her wonderfully gyrating hips, I would have to question her sanity.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:21 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
If she's a spoke person for her country, wonder why she's speaking in our country about a anti-immigration.

Doesn't she know it's not immigration that's the problem, it's illegal-immigration.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:05 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The problem with your position is that you don't know if she is a figurehead, or if she is deeply involved with these organizations. Since she actually founded one of them, the odds are better that she is deeply involved, as well as very much committed to education. Your assumptions aren't based on any actual knowledge of Shakira, but just shallow judgment. She, at least, has put her time, money and attention to work on the problems. You simply criticize that she is only providing "star appeal" when the evidence is to the contrary. Usually, you are very logical in your arguments. This time, not so much.
What evidence?

I see a lot of kiddies here swooning over her sex appeal, and the sheepish nods because she is a puppet for liberal machine, but I don't see any evidence that qualifies her to be anything more than an entertainer.

Heck, look at the videos some above have posted. This "super intellectual" ability isn't making a strong case. Like most of the idiots out there that swoon over entertainers, they are enthralled by her entertaining skills, not her intellectual display.

My response was to those going off about how she is qualified and their reasoning was as valid as listening to a groupie at a Backstreet Boys concert.

Now if you would like to provide her qualifications as an adviser, then by all means, lets hear it. Until then, she is simply a pop star chosen to gain marketing appeal.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:

Yeah..but if it can get some Hispanic vote..

Old 10-06-2011, 07:21 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
President Barack Obama Shakira appointed a committee to give him advice on education for Hispanics.

This has the White House announced Wednesday.

Shakira wordt raadgever Obama - Privé | Het laatste Privé nieuws leest u op Prive.nl van De Telegraaf [prive]

Is this a joke...? This can't be serious or is it, with Obama it could be serious!

If serious and for real ...isn't there a person who has more knowledge about eduction of Hispanics than Shakira....!
Here's my question: How come conservatives always diss celebrities as unqualified to comment on politics? I don't take my cues from celebrities, but if you're going to claim Ronald Reagan as a great political thinker, then you shouldn't paint celebrities with a broad brush it's hypo---er--inconsistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Shakira is actually a very intelligent woman. I'm not saying she is ready to be in politics, but its not like she is a dumb as paper Brittney Spears. Doesn't she speak like.....7 languages and have a few degrees? I read that she has attended quite a few universities under an alias.
Apparently she's really interested in world history, which she studied at UCLA under an alias. A beautiful woman who likes history and learning. Sounds like my type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies