Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Sure why not. Let private companies pay the traditional first 6 weeks and then the Federal Government can pick up the tab for the other 46 weeks of salary and health insurance premiums.

Go for it..we got a printing press and no one seems to care that we have no surplus anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 05:13 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sure why not. Let private companies pay the traditional first 6 weeks and then the Federal Government can pick up the tab for the other 46 weeks of salary and health insurance premiums.

Go for it..we got a printing press and no one seems to care that we have no surplus anymore.
These folks call that "stimulus" (stim-you-lost).

Old 12-07-2011, 05:14 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Ya, we talk a good game about family values but we don't really support families as well as other counties.
Who pays?

We should strive to be more like Greece, Spain, Italy and Portugal to name four? Very generous public benefits worked out very well for them.

And if that $15/hr minimum wage in Australia sounds good you ought to check out and see what kind of a shack (a real shack) $200k buys over there. You think housing prices are high in San Francisco?

In the end someone has to pay, who? You?

Old 12-07-2011, 05:14 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Can you imagine receiving 6 to 12 months or more of paid time off to have a baby?

No. And I can't imagine working my azz off to pay for somebody else who chooses to have a baby and take off work for 12 months.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:16 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Who pays?

We should strive to be more like Greece, Spain, Italy and Portugal to name four? Very generous public benefits worked out very well for them.

And if that $15/hr minimum wage in Australia sounds good you ought to check out and see what kind of a shack (a real shack) $200k buys over there. You think housing prices are high in San Francisco?

In the end someone has to pay, who? You?

It's always easy to give other people's money away..... That's the lifeblood of liberals.... OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY.

I wonder how many on this board would be willing to pay me out of their own pocket for a year to take care of my baby

Old 12-07-2011, 05:22 PM

995 posts, read 1,116,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It's always easy to give other people's money away..... That's the lifeblood of liberals.... OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY.

I wonder how many on this board would be willing to pay me out of their own pocket for a year to take care of my baby
Actually, it's taxes that have been paid to the country. Once you do that, it's our money.
We pay to be a citizen here, and if we're all so upset about minorities and illegal aliens having such high birthrates, why not have paid maternity leave so all the conservative white citizens can get the racial balance thing back on track.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:22 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
If you live in the United States, you can't imagine it.

U.S. Maternity Leave Benefits Are Still Dismal - Forbes.com

....The U.S. and Australia are the only developed economies in the world that provide no paid maternity leave. France, Singapore and Austria all offer four months' paid maternity leave benefits, and Germany offers 14 weeks. In the U.K., a woman receives 90% of her salary for up to a year off with her baby. Swedish mothers hit the jackpot with 480 days off at 80% of their salary, followed by their counterparts in Serbia and Denmark with a full year off at full pay. Even in Gambia, Somalia and Vietnam new mothers receive at least three months' paid maternity leave.
That's so rediculous!! If you want to stay home with your baby (which is what's best for the baby) then stop working/holding on to a job that someone else could use!

This is totally the "have you're cake and eat it too" "entitlement" mentality!! You're not ENTITLED to have a job and you're not ENTITTLED to have a family. You need to either choose one or the other, or find a way for YOU to do it by yourself.... like starting your own home based business!

That's what I did... and it wasn't easy, but I'd rather live on a small budget and be home with my children than try to squeeze money out of an employer for nothing! Talk about unfair!

Old 12-07-2011, 05:23 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
Quote:
Canada has very high immigration rate with lots of minorities.
But over there you still get up to 50 weeks of paid leave at 55% of pay.
(35 weeks for the mom + 15 weeks for the dad).

In America we probably think such generous benefits are over the top
but it seems to be pretty normal in other countries.
Ok, maybe the fact we have 350 million people to Canada's 35 million? People come cheap perhaps. I'm just looking at the glass half empty. Or put it this way, if Americans started leaving the US for a better life down the road I'm sure plenty of baby benefits would materialize out of thin air.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:27 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Can you imagine receiving 6 to 12 months or more of paid time off to have a baby?

No. And I can't imagine working my azz off to pay for somebody else who chooses to have a baby and take off work for 12 months.

It doesn't have to be for a whole 12 months.

4 to 6 months of paid leave would be adequate for the US, IMO.

Most working mothers in the states can't afford to take even a month off when they are pregnant because they would lose their income since the time off isn't paid. They could end on the street if they took leave. So they end up working late into their pregnancy which is bad for their health and bad for the baby's health. I thought people were supposed to be pro-life here in America? Or is it all talk?

Old 12-07-2011, 05:30 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
If you live in the United States, you can't imagine it.

U.S. Maternity Leave Benefits Are Still Dismal - Forbes.com

....The U.S. and Australia are the only developed economies in the world that provide no paid maternity leave. France, Singapore and Austria all offer four months' paid maternity leave benefits, and Germany offers 14 weeks. In the U.K., a woman receives 90% of her salary for up to a year off with her baby. Swedish mothers hit the jackpot with 480 days off at 80% of their salary, followed by their counterparts in Serbia and Denmark with a full year off at full pay. Even in Gambia, Somalia and Vietnam new mothers receive at least three months' paid maternity leave.
Pregnancy is a voluntary condition. Nobody gets a year off when they decide to get a face lift or nose job.

Same deal.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies