Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:32 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
It doesn't have to be for a whole 12 months.

4 to 6 months of paid leave would be adequate for the US, IMO.

Most working mothers in the states can't afford to take even a month off when they are pregnant because they would lose their income since the time off isn't paid. They could end on the street if they took leave. So they end up working late into their pregnancy which is bad for their health and bad for the baby's health. I thought people were supposed to be pro-life here in America? Or is it all talk?
Oh, I am SOOOOO reminded of those women who scream... equal pay for equal work....women's rights.....we're just as good/dedicated/smart/capable as any man....

But pretty please can we have all this paid time off to squeeze out a kid? Pretty please with sugar on it?

hypocrites

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 05:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:

Most working mothers in the states can't afford to take even a month off when they are pregnant because they would lose their income since the time off isn't paid. They could end on the street if they took leave. So they end up working late into their pregnancy which is bad for their health and bad for the baby's health. I thought people were supposed to be pro-life here in America? Or is it all talk?
If you have a full time job with benefits you usually get 6 weeks paid leave (more if you have a c-section).

Old 12-07-2011, 05:38 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
Quote:

Not to mention the possibility of losing one's health insurance. It's not even a stretch to think that some employers would fire the expecting mother for some off the wall reason.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:38 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
Quote:

Please cite where working until late in a pregnancy is bad for the mother's or baby's health? If she has an uneventful, healthy pregnancy, there is no reason not to work.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:40 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Pregnancy is a voluntary condition. Nobody gets a year off when they decide to get a face lift or nose job.

Same deal.

20yrsinBranson
Not the same and you of all people should know that. Why? Ask your father.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:42 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Yes, I can imagine it. It's called get yourself a husband who will support you while you raise his children.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Gee, if we did that then that homeless woman with 15 kids would have some money, a steady income as they say.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:44 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
4 months off to have a baby? The act involved in making one only takes me 5 seconds, so this doesn't seem very fair.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:46 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
Actually, it's taxes that have been paid to the country. Once you do that, it's our money.
We pay to be a citizen here, and if we're all so upset about minorities and illegal aliens having such high birthrates, why not have paid maternity leave so all the conservative white citizens can get the racial balance thing back on track.

Actually, the color of one's skin has nothing to do with my opinion.

I don't want to pay anyone of any race or any nationality to take a year off to have a baby.

And it's not OUR money. If I earn it, it's MY money.

Maybe you would like to pay me for a year.... out of your own pocket. I doubt it. So it's really all about spending OTHER PEOPLE's MONEY.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:47 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
Actually, it's taxes that have been paid to the country. Once you do that, it's our money.
We pay to be a citizen here, and if we're all so upset about minorities and illegal aliens having such high birthrates, why not have paid maternity leave so all the conservative white citizens can get the racial balance thing back on track.

And by the way; keep your racist thoughts and comments to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies