Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2011, 08:08 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,613,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
What are we limiting?? I think American women are more FREE than just about anywhere else in the world. We have more choices than ever. Maybe that is why things are different here.
Really? Where in the world are you talking about? The other countries that get maternity benefits? Why do you think we are more FREE than them? In what way are you referring too? Now I am confused as well. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 08:09 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,957,833 times
In the conservative view, women are all welfare queens and/or sluts, so they don't deserve to get any maternity benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I agree with the op, we should get more benefits here. Obviously I am the minority so I have a lot of statements made to me to address from people whom disagree. If I was on the "baby mama pumping out for money" side I'd be less busy I imagine.
I didn't mean to attack unnecessarily but I don't agree with the "why do I have to pay for your baby care when I don't have them. I don't have dogs either but I pick a lot of dog crap outta my yard with out caring. I think the argument is selfish.
Don't let my opinion get you down though. It is after all just one small voice on one large website. It's not personal, it's just a point of view. It might be different than yours but that doesn't mean it's an attack. I think people should have a little respect for woman. I'm not asking for a new car at birth or a golden binky.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
Exactly and a family could actually survive on what the husband made.
Yes, but not with a big-screen television, cell phone for every family member, air conditioning in the summer, cable television, internet service.

Back when most families lived on one income, one car, one phone, one television was more the norm.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:13 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,822,380 times
Quote:
Speaking of car, I'm sure I've paid extra insurance because you drive like a jerk. You probably have a multitude of tickets, maybe even a DUI or two. I pay more insurance for my car than I'm sure I would if you were a decent driver, drove less miles a year. Hell, why don't you just live close to work and walk or take a bus. Or maybe I pay more because you want a natural preserve in your back yard that I could give 2 sheets about. We all do it, I do it too!
Ya da ya da ya da. Believe me, we mothers pay for your crap too and your crap doesn't even vote!

You didn't get here from the stork honey, at least have some respect for your mother!
Hmmm... and how does this pertain to the topic?

Tsk, tsk, tsk... do I detect out-of-whack pregnancy hormones?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If you consider our very massive welfare programs in, most likely the USA is providing far more for women to give birth and never have to worry about work or having a husband.

Those countries might actually have a better welfare-to-work program than we do. We pay all the maternity care costs, the food stamps, WIC, Medicaid, TANF, free housing and utilities for women who give birth, only the TANF is limited to 5 years, the rest can go on indefinitely.

There is no requirement for our large welfare class to return to work in 4 months or even a year. They even get WIC for 5 years, and 5 years is more than enough time to have another baby.

I would also guess this is for the lower class more than the high paid executive women or women who are married to men who can support a family. I can actually see it if we were to roll all our welfare mothers into such a program. Say give them welfare for 4 months instead of for the rest of their lives.
Well, I imagine in those countries they also have affordable medical care. As well as affordable education. So there probably isn't a need for the rest. It's a different system and more advanced to handle social issues than we seem to be. Just like hearing how our education system is failing all the time. We won't start over so it's just patch and sew, patch and sew. Anyone can see the big picture, we didn't do it right in the first place. It's the same with the rest. Yes, we didn't do it right so now our woman who work and are not on welfare don't get any benefits. It still sucks. I get sick of the tired excuses of American woman taking advantage of said benefits and making them a career choice. It's ignorant to me, and just wrong statically. I'm thinking you get the drift though, it's a losing battle at best.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:20 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,822,380 times
Quote:
I think people should have a little respect for woman. I'm not asking for a new car at birth or a golden binky.
You're just asking (demanding) to have the taxpayer finance your lifestyle choice.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
In the conservative view, women are all welfare queens and/or sluts, so they don't deserve to get any maternity benefits.
And in the liberal view all women are to be made into welfare queens and should never marry a man who is capable of providing for them, nor should a woman be capable of providing for herself.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Well, I imagine in those countries they also have affordable medical care. As well as affordable education. So there probably isn't a need for the rest. It's a different system and more advanced to handle social issues than we seem to be. Just like hearing how our education system is failing all the time. We won't start over so it's just patch and sew, patch and sew. Anyone can see the big picture, we didn't do it right in the first place. It's the same with the rest. Yes, we didn't do it right so now our woman who work and are not on welfare don't get any benefits. It still sucks. I get sick of the tired excuses of American woman taking advantage of said benefits and making them a career choice. It's ignorant to me, and just wrong statically. I'm thinking you get the drift though, it's a losing battle at best.
And you do realize that the incomes of working women and working men are heavily taxed so that the welfare women can never have to worry about working ever.

I'm actually all for giving ALL women a paid 4 month leave but that would mean no more lengthy welfare handouts that can go on and on an on. 4 months or even 6 months and the government handouts for ALL come to an end. Welfare mommies can plan to work for a living also.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Hmmm... and how does this pertain to the topic?

Tsk, tsk, tsk... do I detect out-of-whack pregnancy hormones?
Why not ask this question to the post it answered? Tsk, tsk, tsk, do I detect a woman who doesn't have kids and doesn't want them having no respect for those who do? Yes, it irritated me, it's an excuse that has no merit to me. We are a country full of people whom pay for a bunch of crap we never use or do. Why should it validate working mothers not getting paid for maternity leave? If she didn't get her flu shot do I not allow her the benefit of sick days when she gets the flu because I got mine? It's a stupid argument and yes, it irritates me.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:28 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,035,095 times
Oh greaat....so in order to get a year off, someone has to pop out a kid.....Yeah, they can keep that mess. Have it, heal up, then hurry up and come back to work so I can have MY vacation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies