Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should states have the power to outlaw oral and anal sex?
Yes 19 10.05%
No 169 89.42%
Not sure 1 0.53%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 04:12 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That's a ridiculous premises though. Are you in a position to move whenever the majority votes for something that would make you a criminal? I don't think so. Nobody is.
Actually, I am. And I did move because of the smoking nazi's in California.. and many other stupid laws in California. And it's getting almost as bad here in NV and I"m already trying to figure out where I want to move to. TX & WY are pretty neck in neck with where I want to move... state income taxes, good business atmosphere, loose gun control laws, great homeschooling atmosphere... biggest difference is climate and geography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 04:15 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
No, and even if they did, how would they enforce it?
I don't think the point is to try to enforce them but rather through the government to be used as a guide as to how not to conduct your sex life.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 01-05-2012 at 04:35 PM..

Old 01-05-2012, 04:34 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Of course not. There is no reason "the state" should even be thinking about that stuff.
So true, just like no Southern state should be thinking of voting to legalize slavery.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:34 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,618,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
Again, I'll say that the poll did not ask if we personally wanted a law banning anal or oral sex, but if the states should have the right to do so. And again, I'll say that if the people of the state want to vote in that law, they should have the right to do so. And anyone who doesn't like the law should either try to get it changed or move.
No, they shouldn't. We live in a constitutional republic founded on the principles of individual freedom. Government is limited in what laws it is allowed to pass, and even laws that aren't explicitly prohibited must pass a compelling interest test. That is, if a state wants to ban something it must be able to show WHY it has a compelling interest to do so.

When it comes to private, consensual, adult sexual behavior there is no compelling interest, ergo any attempt to ban said behavior is legally moot and unenforceable.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:44 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So true, just like no Southern state should be thinking of voting to legalize slavery.
Neither should any Northern state.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:45 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post

When it comes to private, consensual, adult sexual behavior there is no compelling interest, ergo any attempt to ban said behavior is legally moot and unenforceable.

I wish your statement were true. Unfortunately, prostitution is still illegal. But, maybe you are correct since prostitution laws are for the most part unenforceable.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:47 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,576,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Good post. Last time I checked there were NO liberals demanding sexual freedom other than their favorite issue around gay rights.
so are you saying that only people who are born heterosexual should be able to have sex... or that people born with the homosexual orientation should ONLY be able to have HETEROSEXUAL sex?

...wow, how non impactful towards you would this be?

Old 01-05-2012, 04:48 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,576,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Do you think that most of the posters here that think that sodomy shouldn't be banned are Liberals?
well the conservative supreme court already said that sodomy bans are unconstitutional... so why would santorum be FOR something he ALREADY KNOWS is UNCONSTITUTIONAL?

doesn't that prove the the constitution is NOT something he is CONCERNED WITH?

Old 01-05-2012, 04:50 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
well the conservative supreme court already said that sodomy bans are unconstitutional... so why would santorum be FOR something he ALREADY KNOWS is UNCONSTITUTIONAL?

doesn't that prove the the constitution is NOT something he is CONCERNED WITH?
Maybe he wants the decision to be overturned. It was only a 5-4 decision (yes, I know it was 6-3 but it was only 5-4 that all sodomy bans are unconstitutional).

Old 01-05-2012, 04:54 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,345,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Since I'm banned from turning down renting one of my apartments to gays sure they should have the power to ban oral and anal sex.
you're out of your mind!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies