Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 06:22 PM

674 posts, read 698,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I have a right to spend my money on what I want to spend it on, and I don't want to spend it on some un-deserving person.

Why there are fewer jobs in the United States is another thing you would struggle with to understand. Why should the government be able to tell someone who is providing jobs, how much they have to pay per hour? Why is that the governments business? When government controls get tough enough it is easy to move your business to a place where the government can't tell you what you must do. The problem with that is, the jobs in the United States are lost, as we all see they are. Add the unions into this mix and you have more of a problem with other people trying to control your business. No wonder business owners move off shore.
You speak of individual liberties and the right to spend your own money as you please!

Of course you're 100% right but you'd think it's blasphemy the way people advocate forced charity around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 06:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
You speak of individual liberties and the right to spend your own money as you please!

Of course you're 100% right but you'd think it's blasphemy the way people advocate forced charity around here.
Perhaps you should go live in Somalia.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Beside -- we all heard the Obama speech the other night -- the automotive industry is back hiring millions of Americans, he's created many jobs, everything is back on track so there is ABSOLUTELY no good reason to keep all these welfare programs going.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:38 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,504,600 times
Oh good, a response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
My owners? Excuse me, no one owns me. I'm a disgrace to the working man? How many hours do you work a week?

Quote:
Since I'm paid by the hour and work seasonally that thing called overtime is how I make my money.
Great, I hope you do extraordinary well, because you're working 70 hours a week. But 70+ hour work weeks should never be the norm. That is a tremendously grueling work-schedule. I'm actually surprised your girlfriend sticks around if you're never there.

You voluntarily work extreme hours. As a result, you should be doing well. But why would you even suggest such workhours be normal, just to live in this country? It's insane, asinine, and completly ignorant and disrespectful to the centuries of progress the American working men and women of this country. They fought, literally, for workers rights. And you want to **** it all away by saying everyone should be working the grind? By saying that the 40 hour work week is extinct? That's why you're a disgrace.

Quote:
I don't think anyone believes you can survive on minimum wage anymore.
The minimum wage was designed specifically to guarantee a minimum standard of living for all workers--and I'm paraphrasing FDR, who started the minimum wage in 1938.

Quote:
I'm all for child labor laws, unionization, time off and benefits. I have damn good benefits as a matter of fact. On a side note, it's pretty much impossible to only work 40 hours a week in my field anyway.
A lot of people work more than forty hours a week. They shouldn't have to in order to live and survive. Hard-work should pay-off, and the last 30 years made that false.

Quote:
Someone like you needs to either move to Europe, blow your nose and get the nonsense out, grow-up, or all three.
I think you need to understand your history as a citizen of this nation.

Quote:
Quit thinking your life should be like Hollywood and the world owes something You're one of these people that think life should be a like a John Lennon song where everything is just happy, peaceful, and flowers all the time. I'm all for what Obama said about an economy where everyone gets a fair share, but there's also a such thing as DOING your fair share
And once again, doing your fair share? Explain how working 60 hours a week while taking care of three kids and trying to get an education is anywhere near fair, all while under threat of losing your home and job (if you have either), and paying off loans at interest rates inexorabantly high.

People are struggling with all of these, and if simply working more hours fixed those problems, people would work more hours. People would work harder--but that isn't the case. The laws of this nation, the taxes, the system: all of it is aimed at keeping people down. Wages have stagnated over the past thirty years--the only people getting rich, are the richest of this nation. Inflation is making everyone else poorer.

And I do mean everyone else. That 99% mantra? That's the middle-class on down, and they've all lost.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:38 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Sure, some will starve off and nobody will have to worry about them anymore.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:34 PM

674 posts, read 698,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Perhaps you should go live in Somalia.
Do you suggest that everyone who disagrees with you go live in Somalia? Random country to choose.....

Old 01-26-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Do you suggest that everyone who disagrees with you go live in Somalia? Random country to choose.....
Not really. Somalia has no strong government. It's essentially an anarchists wet dream. It has no law, a crazy number of guns, and highly religious.

The theocracy that the religious-right wants is only a boat-ride away.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
As above. Plus, you don't like "forced charity", AKA, tax supported social programs. I think Somalia would be the perfect place.

It really bugs me to hear people complain about "forced charity". Obviously, the real kind of charity isn't working, or we wouldn't need these programs.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:59 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
You're nuts. If you want this country to be a third-world hell hole, you'll have it soon enough by constantly cutting everything workers the past 200 years have been righting for: the 40 hour work week, minimum wages, child labor, unionization, time off, benefits.

Keep believing what you're rich owners tell you to believe. You're a disgrace to the working man. If you want work 70 hours, good for you, I hope you do well. But if the standard to survive in this country is working 70 hours, I hope you lose your house.
What a horrible thing to say and what sort of person are you? The condition of things is hardly his fault and he's doing what he needs to make it. Since when is it a disgrace to support yourself?

Old 01-26-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
What a horrible thing to say and what sort of person are you? The condition of things is hardly his fault and he's doing what he needs to make it. Since when is it a disgrace to support yourself?
If it takes losing your house to realize what has happened to the working men and women of this country, so be it. This man advocates for the stripping of workers' protections which have been earned with blood over the past centuries. It isn't a disgrace to support oneself, it's a disgrace to **** on our ancestors fights for freedom and security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies