Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 03:45 AM

674 posts, read 698,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As above. Plus, you don't like "forced charity", AKA, tax supported social programs. I think Somalia would be the perfect place.

It really bugs me to hear people complain about "forced charity". Obviously, the real kind of charity isn't working, or we wouldn't need these programs.
I actually will be leaving in a couple of years so that my daughter can be raised at home. However there are many like me and if you don't like people living in the same country with you who share different beliefs perhaps you should also leave. This country is based on a plethora of voices creating the best solutions, democratically. So instead of leaving this country I've done my part to spread the ideas of political candidates who support my ideas and politely debate with people. If this is not appealing to you then North Korea, Equatorial Guinea, Cuba, and other similar nations might be.

There are a lot of things about the U.S. I don't like but, at the end of the day I believe in the way the U.S. functions and I'm sure, as a legal immigrant, that I've done as much as you, if not more to be here. For you to suggest that I should leave because something "bugs you" is immature at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Not really. Somalia has no strong government. It's essentially an anarchists wet dream. It has no law, a crazy number of guns, and highly religious.

The theocracy that the religious-right wants is only a boat-ride away.
Well I'm neither nor an anarchist, a member of the religious right, nor a muslim so it wouldn't suit me at all. All you've done is make some very poor assumptions.

The U.S. is a great country for me. There are amazing economic opportunities here. Here I've the right to make as much money as I have the energy for while practicing my own religion and living in one of the most exciting cities on the planet. This thread is about people who do not take advantage of the economic opportunities millions of immigrants are still clamoring to get a chance at. I have exercised my first amendment right to say that I don't believe in that.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:33 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As above. Plus, you don't like "forced charity", AKA, tax supported social programs. I think Somalia would be the perfect place.

It really bugs me to hear people complain about "forced charity". Obviously, the real kind of charity isn't working, or we wouldn't need these programs.
And the government handout programs are working? There are more people living in "poverty" than ever before, more children being born to welfare programs. I guess if the goal is to produce much more poverty and more welfare then yes, the government forced charity is working like a charm.

But forced charity is not charity at all. The confiscation of working people's income to redistribute to those who never worked for it is nothing more than a kind of slavery.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dushanbe View Post
I don't get why conservatives hate the lower classes so much when it's the very richest people that are hogging most of the money.
Not the lower classes who work for the things they want. Only the parasites who expect to have the money I work for taken from me and given to them.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:28 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
These lazy bums would get a job almost immediately once they have nothing to eat so yes to cutting food stamps.

Umm, Brian, try reading the OP again. WORKING POOR should give you a clue that these people are, wait for it...working.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:33 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And the government handout programs are working? There are more people living in "poverty" than ever before, more children being born to welfare programs. I guess if the goal is to produce much more poverty and more welfare then yes, the government forced charity is working like a charm.

But forced charity is not charity at all. The confiscation of working people's income to redistribute to those who never worked for it is nothing more than a kind of slavery.
In case you haven't noticed, we have the worst economic disaster since the Great Depression, which was primarily caused by the free market.

You, and the rich, should be damn glad we have these safety net programs. There is nothing that causes social unrest more than unemployed people who need to eat. If it wasn't for these programs, the wealthy would have to live like those in Columbia, who live behind walled gates and have an army of private security.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:39 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
In case you haven't noticed, we have the worst economic disaster since the Great Depression, which was primarily caused by the free market.

You, and the rich, should be damn glad we have these safety net programs. There is nothing that causes social unrest more than unemployed people who need to eat. If it wasn't for these programs, the wealthy would have to live like those in Columbia, who live behind walled gates and have an army of private security.

Actually it was brought about by the repeal of Glass-Steagle (spelling???) by the Gramm-Leach-Bliley, written by three Republicans and signed by Clinton. The bill once again allowed banks to sell investments under the same roof. They marketed the dicey mortage-backed securities as AAA, then after the whole thing collapsed, was rewarded by the gubmit under TARP.

When the same thing happened in 1929, banks collapsed, taking hard-working people's life savings with them.

We have a short memory of what caused the Great Depression, and and even shorted one of what cause the Great recession.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:43 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
You are dead wrong! The wealthy are not obligated to do anything they don't want to do. That is only in your thinking. I'm not wealthy, but if I were I would donate to who I want to donate to. As long as I have no control over what the government does with the tax money I pay, then I'm not going to give my money away to someone who can't find a job. I realize that education costs money, but if you work while you are going to school you don't have student loans to pay off. My whole problem with welfare, food stamps, and all the rest of it is the fact that so many people de-fraud the system and get away with it. People who shouldn't be getting welfare work the system. It needs to be fixed, before I believe it is a good thing. I have a right to spend my money on what I want to spend it on, and I don't want to spend it on some un-deserving person.

Why there are fewer jobs in the United States is another thing you would struggle with to understand. Why should the government be able to tell someone who is providing jobs, how much they have to pay per hour? Why is that the governments business? When government controls get tough enough it is easy to move your business to a place where the government can't tell you what you must do. The problem with that is, the jobs in the United States are lost, as we all see they are. Add the unions into this mix and you have more of a problem with other people trying to control your business. No wonder business owners move off shore.
You said that problem with these programs is fraud, and that's why you think they should be eliminated. By that argument we shouldn't have insurance, because some people defraud the insurance companies.

With regard to the wealthy, they are obligated to do whatever is within the law. If that means paying higher taxes, they are obligated to pay higher taxes -- for which they derive great benefits. Their employees are educated and travel via the public roads and education system. The legal system adjudicates business matters. Their products are shipped on safe public roads and protected by the government on the high seas, etc., etc.

Quote:
Why should the government be able to tell someone who is providing jobs, how much they have to pay per hour?
The government has certain powers, including the regulation of interstate commerce.

In 1941 the Supreme Court, in a unanimous opinion in the case US v Darby Lumber Company upheld the Constitutionality of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the law that established the Federal minimum wage. The FLSA also guaranteed time-and-a-half for overtime in certain jobs, and prohibited most employment of minors in "oppressive child labor." The court ruled that:
Quote:
While manufacture is not of itself interstate commerce, the shipment of manufactured goods interstate is such commerce, and the prohibition of such shipment by Congress is a regulation of interstate commerce. P. 312 U. S. 113.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:29 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,504,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
Well I'm neither nor an anarchist, a member of the religious right, nor a muslim so it wouldn't suit me at all. All you've done is make some very poor assumptions.

The U.S. is a great country for me. There are amazing economic opportunities here. Here I've the right to make as much money as I have the energy for while practicing my own religion and living in one of the most exciting cities on the planet. This thread is about people who do not take advantage of the economic opportunities millions of immigrants are still clamoring to get a chance at. I have exercised my first amendment right to say that I don't believe in that.
You said Somalia was a random nation to choose--I was pointing out it isn't.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
You said Somalia was a random nation to choose--I was pointing out it isn't.
Your characterizations of Somalia are not applicable to me insofar as I don't support any of them so yes it is a random nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies