Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 09:51 PM

298 posts, read 389,769 times

Advertisements

There are people out there who are pro-animal and anti-children. It's weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 10:35 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
These lazy bums would get a job almost immediately once they have nothing to eat so yes to cutting food stamps.
Do you know how hard it is to get a job these days?

I graduated Summa *** Laude with a B.A. I can't even get hired as a bank teller.

In addition, if I would have to buy my own food, I would find it impossible to afford what I already find very hard to pay for pertaining to my job search - gas, repairing the failing transmission on my car, decent clothes for interviews, electricity so I can run my shower, heat so I don't freeze, internet so I can research jobs, phone so I can answer job-related calls, etc., etc. There are so many things that go into a successful job search. The days of handing in an application and being interviewed and hired on the spot are over. Many people, though, think that's how it is.

In addition, the thread title is named "Should we make it harder for the working poor to get FOOD STAMPS?" If somebody is "working poor", they already have a job.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:27 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
In addition, the thread title is named "Should we make it harder for the working poor to get FOOD STAMPS?" If somebody is "working poor", they already have a job.
Clearly they aren't working hard enough. If a poor person isn't putting in 80 hours a week, he or she deserves absolutely no help from anyone ever.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:31 AM

521 posts, read 466,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
There are people out there who are pro-animal and anti-children. It's weird.
Yep they are called liberals.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:55 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I have a beef with the poor because in most cases they are the one's who put themselves in the situation they are in. It may be that they are too lazy, or too dumb, but I see no way this could be compared to a rape victim. That is your whole problem, the way you think.
This is the mindset rational people must deal with -- people who believe it's all due to lazy and stupid people.

Newsflash: The poor aren't poor because they chose to be poor or thought it would be a good idea or fun to be poor. The poor are poor because they have no other options. The very fact that there are many poor who work very hard at minimum wage jobs -- with wages that have not risen in years, disproves this obvious meme.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:02 AM

674 posts, read 698,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
Yep they are called liberals.
Well it's called choice. If some people want to donate their money to the humane society over the children of some irresponsible single mother then they should be allowed to. Same goes for people who want to donate their money towards cancer research, feeding the hungry in Somalia, or developing clean energy. Those people are actually called libertarians and we want other people's hands out of our pockets.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:15 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,254 times
I've been pondering this thread for several days, and while I still can't come up with a definitive answer, I wanna post again. A previous poster, freightshaker, said something I very much agree with. A few people on here were complaining about having to work long hours, like 60 a week just to make ends meet. Freightshaker's response, I can't remember it exactly, was something like; "there times when you do what you gotta do." In all honesty I have to agree with that. I work construction. While my job is seasonal, when it is paving season where I live, my average week is about 50-60 hours, sometimes up to 70, (I'm a truck driver I can't work more than 70),. When I go into work in the morning I have no idea what time I will be done for the day. It could be 3:00, 5:00, 7:00, who knows ? Monday through Saturday it is damn near impossible for me to make plans. When I starting dating my girlfriend last summer and things got serious she said would like it if we could eat as a family, (meaning myself, her and her son), I said don't hold your breath, it's the construction lifestyle, get used to it. She's still with me. I'm only 32, but I don't what it is with people in this country, particularly those younger than me that ***** & moan about having to work. The 40 hour work week is just about extinct, and over time is the norm. Deal with it. You people on here complaining about working 60 hours week, that want 3 hour lunch breaks, 30 hour work weeks, and 6 weeks vacation a year need to move to Europe. The American way is to grind. Here's another thing to consider. The "poor" today live like kings, (for the most), compared to most of the population during The Great Depression. I've heard the stories from my grandparents: no shoes during the summertime, 1 vehicle per family, many kids quit school because they HAD to help support the family. No mention of $80 designer jeans or iPhones. Yes I've seen people with these @ the grocery store while they pay with food stamps!!! So maybe some of the working poor wouldn't need asistance if they did this thing called doing what it takes, overtime, second job, who knows
I will say this, I think the middle class is being squeezed out of existance by both parties, but that's off topic

Old 01-25-2012, 12:40 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
I've been pondering this thread for several days, and while I still can't come up with a definitive answer, I wanna post again. A previous poster, freightshaker, said something I very much agree with. A few people on here were complaining about having to work long hours, like 60 a week just to make ends meet. Freightshaker's response, I can't remember it exactly, was something like; "there times when you do what you gotta do." In all honesty I have to agree with that. I work construction. While my job is seasonal, when it is paving season where I live, my average week is about 50-60 hours, sometimes up to 70, (I'm a truck driver I can't work more than 70),. When I go into work in the morning I have no idea what time I will be done for the day. It could be 3:00, 5:00, 7:00, who knows ? Monday through Saturday it is damn near impossible for me to make plans. When I starting dating my girlfriend last summer and things got serious she said would like it if we could eat as a family, (meaning myself, her and her son), I said don't hold your breath, it's the construction lifestyle, get used to it. She's still with me. I'm only 32, but I don't what it is with people in this country, particularly those younger than me that ***** & moan about having to work. The 40 hour work week is just about extinct, and over time is the norm. Deal with it. You people on here complaining about working 60 hours week, that want 3 hour lunch breaks, 30 hour work weeks, and 6 weeks vacation a year need to move to Europe. The American way is to grind. Here's another thing to consider. The "poor" today live like kings, (for the most), compared to most of the population during The Great Depression. I've heard the stories from my grandparents: no shoes during the summertime, 1 vehicle per family, many kids quit school because they HAD to help support the family. No mention of $80 designer jeans or iPhones. Yes I've seen people with these @ the grocery store while they pay with food stamps!!! So maybe some of the working poor wouldn't need asistance if they did this thing called doing what it takes, overtime, second job, who knows
I will say this, I think the middle class is being squeezed out of existance by both parties, but that's off topic

You're nuts. If you want this country to be a third-world hell hole, you'll have it soon enough by constantly cutting everything workers the past 200 years have been righting for: the 40 hour work week, minimum wages, child labor, unionization, time off, benefits.

Keep believing what you're rich owners tell you to believe. You're a disgrace to the working man. If you want work 70 hours, good for you, I hope you do well. But if the standard to survive in this country is working 70 hours, I hope you lose your house.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:40 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
Well it's called choice. If some people want to donate their money to the humane society over the children of some irresponsible single mother then they should be allowed to. Same goes for people who want to donate their money towards cancer research, feeding the hungry in Somalia, or developing clean energy. Those people are actually called libertarians and we want other people's hands out of our pockets.
I agree. Besides, animals are the true innocents in all this. Look at all the "innocent" children killing their parents these days, stabbing & bullying other students etc etc. They are about as innocent as your average politician.

Besides...our country isn't inundated with animals (as opposed to excess children), in fact we just keep pushing them further and further out of their natural habitats to make room for new people.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:33 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
Default Should we make it harder for the working poor to get FOOD STAMPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
So to be clear, you have no qualms with allowing 15 million children in this country to go hungry, but are more apt to shed a tear when you watch a Sarah Mclachlan commercial. Got it.
It is good that you do understand something. I don't know how Sarah Mclachlan got into this conversation, nor do I care. The 15 million children in this country who are going hungry are in that situation because of their parents. When people have kids knowing they can't support them and feed them, who's fault is that? Our government welfare system makes it worse, because the more kids a woman has the more money she gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies