Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 07:44 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,216,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
It's absurd because in the real world you need to prepare yourself for a job market that exists somewhere other than in your own head.

I'd love to be a Nigerian movie critic but no one is hiring for that..........

So you are saying that no one should aspire to be a Nigerian movie critic? Oh darn, those poor Nigerian movie directors are going to be angry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 07:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Try prayer.

It works!
For whom?

He may as well buy a Ouija board.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:46 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I haven't found a source yet, but i think it's common knowledge. I remember reading somewhere that 80% of registered voters in Cleveland Ohio don't vote in 75% of elections. It's astounding. I'm trying to find the piece.

And we all know that only a very, very narrow sliver of the American public votes in primaries...which means only a few people choose the candidates for all of us.
I see a lot of "we all know" but no evidence.
It's sort of like Obama being the "Food Stamp President" exceptr that more people went on Food Stamps while bush was President

Old 01-23-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Those in NEED should get help.

A healthy man with three teens should not.
And you know this because you know his entire situation, right? Seems you conservatives have equated trickle down economics with backwards mobility because that's what we've got today. Thanks a lot Presadunt Raygun.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:49 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
And you know this because you know his entire situation, right? Seems you conservatives have equated trickle down economics with backwards mobility because that's what we've got today. Thanks a lot Presadunt Raygun.
I know that he should not be on the dole!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:51 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
For whom?

He may as well buy a Ouija board.
Well, his atheism doesn't seem to be helping him.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Try prayer.

It works!
No sir, it does not.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by orogenicman
I think you people make this crap up. I am on disability (and believe me, if I had any other choice, I wouldn't be on it), and am eligible for a whopping $16/month in foodstamps. Needless to say, I don't bother with it. But the disability I get doesn't cut it either. After rent and utilities, doctor bills and medicines, I have just enough money to buy food for about 20 days out of the month. And I'm due for yet another operation in the next two months. So I have to go to Dare to Care once a month to get food suppliments. And I NEVER go our to eat, or do much of anything else (except post on the internet). I don't even own a television.
Then you need to alter your life-style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea
I live on disability and I do just fine. There's an animal called Craigs List. You can find a place and share it with someone else and increase your disposable income.

You can also move to any number of other places in the US where the cost-of-living is significantly cheaper.

Look into it.
Significantly cheaper than where I currently live? I seriously doubt it. Oh yeah, I could live in a cardboard box, but even I have scrupples. As for Craig's list, sorry, I wouldn't touch that place for all the gold in Peru. Too many criminals and scam artists using it. And a guy just killed a bunch of people in Ohio using Craig's list. No thanks.

And I have a very hard time accepting your claim that you live on disabiity and yet have a disposable income. I know plenty of people on disability besides myself, and NONE of them have disposable incomes.

Quote:
I'm disabled and I'm telling you that very few people can survive on a food allowance of $160/month. Not in this country. Not in this economy. What is very easy is to criticize the disadvantaged. Congratulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea
Then don't make it easy for us to criticize.

You have choices, but you refuse to exercise them. That's not my problem.

I didn't use Student Loans to pay for my education. I paid for it myself. I got a stipend of $10,200 or whatever it was, and worked part-time or full-time to support myself. I even shared an apartment with others, sometimes 2 other people so that I could have the money to live my life the way I like to live it.
This is what I was talking about earlier about people critical of things they know nothing about. What choice? I am on permanent disability for a reason - I am permanently disabled. I am a disabled geologist. I went to college for nine years and paid for all of it myself. I worked my way through college. I do some computer work on the side when I can get it, but with the economy the way it is right now, those little jobs are few and far bewteen. It doesn't come close to touching what I owe in medical expenses, much less puts food on my table.

Quote:
Erm, I'm afraid that not everyone will find your menu to be palatable (or healthy).

Quote:
It's perfectly healthy. As far as palatable, there's condiments and sauces for that.

I rent a condo, albeit in the 12th Level of Hell. I eat at fine dining at least once a month. Can't help it. I love escargot. I walk down to Findlay Market and buy some yummy Chilean sea bass, which sells for $24.99/lb. But I also buy a 3-lb bag of chicken livers for $3.00. I'll take two pounds and make liver pate, which I'll eat as a snack on my home-made toasted bread. Better than potato chips and all the other garbage. I make my own pita bread and hummus. I cut up my own chickens, and use the backbones and neck bones for chicken and dumplings. I usually save a leg-quarter for chicken paprikash.

Stupid consumers buy microwave popcorn. Smart consumers buy a 1 pound bag for $0.89. Sure, it takes 4:30 seconds to cook on the stove instead of 2:30 seconds in the microwave, but what the Hell?

The main problem is that people are stupid and lazy consumers, and even that wouldn't be so bad, except that they've become accustomed to the Extravagant American Life-Styleâ„¢. That life-style is over; it's done; put a fork in it.
Please don't talk to me like I was born yesterday. And you are going to tell me that you eat escargo and "Chilean sea bass, which sells for $24.99/lb" with your monthy disability payments? And then want to discuss food economics for poor people? Really?

Old 01-23-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I know that he should not be on the dole!

Well, then, it's probably a good thing for him that you don't get to make that life decision for him.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Another woman has a masters degree in therapeutic recreation and she hasn't been able to find a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
If you don't see how absurd this is I can't help you man.........
To paraphrase Mark Twain:

"Better to stay off the keyboard and be thought a fool, than to post on CD and remove all doubt".

Recreational Therapists

Employment of recreational therapists is expected to increase 15 percent from 2008 to 2018, faster than the average for all occupations. Job growth will stem from the therapy needs of the aging population. . . Employment growth in schools will result from the expansion of the school-age population and the federally funded extension of services for disabled students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies