Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 09:43 AM

25,842 posts, read 16,521,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
I am an RN and work with highly educated black Americans (apparently Afican American is not a term welcomed anymore by many) What I am hearing is many black RNs and MDs who voted for Obama the first time around are seriously listening to what Gingrich & Romney are saying. Some are on the fence but most agree nothing upsets them more than someone casting a vote for a candidate they know nothing about. A fellow RN said it is disheartening when she asks some of her extended family members why they voted for Obama only to hear that they think he is really handsome(sorry disagree) or he is such a good speaker. When pressed for what they know about his stances on issues they are absolutely clueless. When he was initially elected, he had some lofty goals to meet and was a motivational type speaker. Most educated black people are seeing the light it seems and looking at other options other than just voting party or race. Interesting observation. I am on the fence about who I like in the republican arena but I am listening and learning. What are your observations? Not a hate thread so don't make it one!
Only to racists. The average education of Democrats is much higher than the average for Republicans.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:47 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,561,719 times
Quote:
I am an RN and work with highly educated black Americans (apparently Afican American is not a term welcomed anymore by many) What I am hearing is many black RNs and MDs who voted for Obama the first time around are seriously listening to what Gingrich & Romney are saying. Some are on the fence but most agree nothing upsets them more than someone casting a vote for a candidate they know nothing about. A fellow RN said it is disheartening when she asks some of her extended family members why they voted for Obama only to hear that they think he is really handsome(sorry disagree) or he is such a good speaker. When pressed for what they know about his stances on issues they are absolutely clueless. When he was initially elected, he had some lofty goals to meet and was a motivational type speaker. Most educated black people are seeing the light it seems and looking at other options other than just voting party or race. Interesting observation. I am on the fence about who I like in the republican arena but I am listening and learning. What are your observations? Not a hate thread so don't make it one!
Geez and you are the first one to make it into a "race" thread!Why do you care who black people are going to vote for since President Obama was elected majorly by white America!
I wonder why they did that? Are they also "uneducated" blacks covered in white skin?

Old 01-23-2012, 09:51 AM

25,842 posts, read 16,521,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Geez and you are the first one to make it into a "race" thread!Why do you care who black people are going to vote for since President Obama was elected majorly by white America!
I wonder why they did that? Are they also "uneducated" blacks covered in white skin?
I swear to God that people like the OP, they sit around obsessing with the fact that a black man is the president.

Personally, I think it's a mass form of mental retardation.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:57 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Seriously listening to Romney, who has nothing to say (that he hasn't said the opposite of already), and Gingrich, who says that blacks are lazy, food-stamp-taking idiots? I don't think any blacks are seriously listening to either of those fools.
I agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
oh boy. Threads like this usually come out on Tuesday.

But, to try and stay on topic, out of all the educated and employed "black" people I know, only one of them is a republican. He was offended by want Gingrich said. I doubt that the educated and the employed black people are even looking at Gingrich or Romney. Since I am only one person, I can only speak for myself.

As an educated and employed black person, I do not think I will be voting for either Romney or Gingrich. My black educated and employed wife is not going to vote for Romney most likely. My older brother, who (as you would have guessed) is black, educated and employed, aren't going to vote for Romney or Gingrich most likely. His wife, just the same, is not going to vote for Romney or Gingrich. My younger brother, who's black and currently being educated, probably won't vote for Romney or Gingrich. My parents, both educated, employed, and of course black, are most likely not going to vote for Gingrich or Romney. I could go on like this for a couple of hours.

So based off of my own little pool of people, I would go and venture to say that I doubt educated and employed black people are going to vote for Gingrich or Romney.

And especially this. I am black, educated and I am not even a democrat (I am independent and do vote for some republicans but never in a presidential race since the presidential candidates usually try to pander to their hardcore right/prejudiced types and bash black people and I don't like that). I will not vote for any of the republicans running for president. The only one I would consider voting for is Romney because I haven't read or seen him say anything stereotypical or insulting about black people. But to me he is a lighter skinned Obama so I might as well vote for Obama. Gingrich is a ridiculous character to me so I would not consider voting for him or any of the other current GOP contenders (Santorum/Paul).

My husband is educated black and employed. He is from Chicago and loves Obama. He will vote for Obama. His whole family is the same, they still live in Chicago, they will vote for Obama. My family lives in Ohio, they are all educated, except one of my younger brothers, but he is employed (he does have a high school education). They are all voting for Obama as are my extended family, aunts/uncles, etc.

Forgot to add, that I agree with the previous poster who stated that unemployed, uneducated black people usually don't vote. Honestly, since I live in a lower income neighborhood, I saw a lot of unemployed, uneducated black people voting in 2008 but I highly doubt they will vote again since it is not an "historical" election anymore.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:59 AM

665 posts, read 1,243,430 times
Obama is going to get 88-90% of the black educated vote watch.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:06 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,104 times
It’s funny how you assume that in 2008 black people voted for party or race instead of on the issues at hand. Has it ever occurred to you that the reason blacks don’t vote republican in significant numbers is because of the GOPs antagonistic stances on most of the issues that are important to our community.

Quote:

Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this.

And especially this. I am black, educated and I am not even a democrat (I am independent and do vote for some republicans but never in a presidential race since the presidential candidates usually try to pander to their hardcore right/prejudiced types and bash black people and I don't like that). I will not vote for any of the republicans running for president. The only one I would consider voting for is Romney because I haven't read or seen him say anything stereotypical or insulting about black people. But to me he is a lighter skinned Obama so I might as well vote for Obama. Gingrich is a ridiculous character to me so I would not consider voting for him or any of the other current GOP contenders (Santorum/Paul).

My husband is educated black and employed. He is from Chicago and loves Obama. He will vote for Obama. His whole family is the same, they still live in Chicago, they will vote for Obama. My family lives in Ohio, they are all educated, except one of my younger brothers, but he is employed (he does have a high school education). They are all voting for Obama as are my extended family, aunts/uncles, etc.

Forgot to add, that I agree with the previous poster who stated that unemployed, uneducated black people usually don't vote. Honestly, since I live in a lower income neighborhood, I saw a lot of unemployed, uneducated black people voting in 2008 but I highly doubt they will vote again since it is not an "historical" election anymore.
I'm Black and educated, voted for Obama and most likely won't do so in 2012. Although if the GOP insist on nominating Gingrich I might have to revisit that. I actually don't find some of the things he has said recently racist. Facts are facts but I don't like his pandering to the "I'm glad you put Juan Williams in his place" crowd nonetheless. Not too mention he just doesn't come across as a nice guy.

I hope Romney can find his stride because I think this election will boil down to what we want America to be down the line. One where government is omniprescent which is what Obama favors and one where folks are allowed to rise on their own merits and ability without being made to feel guilty about it, which until recently I thought the GOP was for.

Many Black people think government has a fundamental role in improving society and I disagree so in most cases I'm usually the lone person I know who will not be voting for Obama.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:08 AM

12,036 posts, read 6,565,777 times
I am a white Independent, but I am sick of Repubs being constantly portrayed as racists. Repubs had a black woman (Condoleezza Rice) as both Secretary of Defense and Sec of State---not the Dems. Repubs had Colin Powell as Sec of Defense, not the Dems. And the Repubs tried to convince Powell to run for president---way before the Dems came up with Obama--who is only half black.
The Repubs had a black man as their Republican Party Leader--Michael Steele; not the Dems. What powerful political positions (not token small appointments) have the Dems ever given to blacks?

Yes, the Dems got a half-black President elected who has appointed some blacks to semi-high positions now, but they have been way behind the Republicans in appointing blacks to high and powerful positions. Same with the liberal media---only RECENTLY has MSNBC included two black journalists and opinionators. Same with CNN. While FOX has had 3 blacks hired for years.

The Tea party was labelled as rabid rasicsts, yet they enthusiastically sponsered Herman Cain.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:13 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
It’s funny how you assume that in 2008 black people voted for party or race instead of on the issues at hand. Has it ever occurred to you that the reason blacks don’t vote republican in significant numbers is because of the GOPs antagonistic stances on most of the issues that are important to our community.
I'm sorry but the 2008 primary doesn't follow that narritave. There was little ideological difference between Clinton and Obama. The only thing I could pinpoint was that Clinton was realistic about Iraq and Obama was pandering to the Moveon loons.

I'm sorry but I doubt most Black people knew or cared about the nuances of the Iraq War and before Iowa most supported Hilary. In the Dem primary Blacks voted on race period. Obama had a viable chance of being nominated after the Iowa win and Black Dems were going to all in their power to make his nomination a reality.

As far as the general yes Blacks generally support big government so supporting the Dems over the GOP makes perfect sense.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:19 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,167,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Please be more specific. In your rant, you cite conversations with educated blacks. But your premise is that uneducated unemployed blacks are becoming the face of the Democratic Party. Can you name an example of an uneducated unemployed black spokesman for the Democratic Party? Or an influential uneducated unemployed black Democrat who is becoming prominent?
Not a rant...An observation of a black RN and a black internal medicine MD in a round table discussion one night. Just their commentary and frustration about their community, extended family etc. The doc in particular said he feels like he is beating his head against the wall with his parents. They feel he is disloyal to the black community by not voting democrat. Maybe it is an older way of thinking? I am just curious on others take on my observation (and theirs) and yes I also see uneducacted republican voters but they worked their arses off to get where they are today and know it can be done the old fashion way without free handouts, just studying and being rewarded by their hard work/good grades with scholarships that they could only keep by keeping a certain grade point average. I am not black but am hearing similar thoughts throughout the black community and I am in the southeast. Very different from what I heard right before Obama was elected. Maybe this is the change coming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies