Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:21 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,167,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post

Many of my friends that are republicans and not the tea party crowd do not want any thing to do with NG or MR.
So they will be voting for Obama?

Old 01-23-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
oh boy. Threads like this usually come out on Tuesday.

But, to try and stay on topic, out of all the educated and employed "black" people I know, only one of them is a republican. He was offended by want Gingrich said. I doubt that the educated and the employed black people are even looking at Gingrich or Romney. Since I am only one person, I can only speak for myself.

As an educated and employed black person, I do not think I will be voting for either Romney or Gingrich. My black educated and employed wife is not going to vote for Romney most likely. My older brother, who (as you would have guessed) is black, educated and employed, aren't going to vote for Romney or Gingrich most likely. His wife, just the same, is not going to vote for Romney or Gingrich. My younger brother, who's black and currently being educated, probably won't vote for Romney or Gingrich. My parents, both educated, employed, and of course black, are most likely not going to vote for Gingrich or Romney. I could go on like this for a couple of hours.

So based off of my own little pool of people, I would go and venture to say that I doubt educated and employed black people are going to vote for Gingrich or Romney.
Out of curiosity are they hoping for a better democratic candidate? I'd even give Hillary a look as she is keen on foreign policy. Maybe people in healthcare black or white just shy away from Obama. Perhaps that is why they were outspoken? Just a thought

Old 01-23-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Geez and you are the first one to make it into a "race" thread!Why do you care who black people are going to vote for since President Obama was elected majorly by white America!
I wonder why they did that? Are they also "uneducated" blacks covered in white skin?
This isn't a hate thread. I am open minded. I want to know if this is a trend among educated blacks? Believe me 3-4 years ago I would never hear a conversation like this between whites and blacks at the hospital where I work! It was just understood that if you were black most likely you were an Obama supporter. I am seeing a different way of thinking about him.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I swear to God that people like the OP, they sit around obsessing with the fact that a black man is the president.

Personally, I think it's a mass form of mental retardation.
That is incorrect! Herman Cain last time I checked was black. I liked him, would have voted for him. He is/was a brilliant business man. Unfortunately he was viewed by the opposition as a huge threat to Obama so they went after the moral issue card like the republicans did with Clinton. Touche'

Old 01-23-2012, 10:32 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,527,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
So they will be voting for Obama?
Yes, black and white!

Old 01-23-2012, 10:41 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,130,209 times
I was referring to the 2008 general election not the primaries. But since you bring it up in primary season Obama played to the individuals against status quo. He showcased how government is broken and you needed an outsider to fix it (same tune Romney is trying to play). Then Obama clobbered the opposition in almost every debate.

Most black people I know cared about the Iraq war at the time. I certainly did since I was there in 2003 & 2004 and had many friends still there in 2007 & 2008.

In the dem primary blacks didn’t vote on race only. I knew many blacks that voted for Clinton. But then Obama was able to energize the democratic base and run away with the nomination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm sorry but the 2008 primary doesn't follow that narritave. There was little ideological difference between Clinton and Obama. The only thing I could pinpoint was that Clinton was realistic about Iraq and Obama was pandering to the Moveon loons.

I'm sorry but I doubt most Black people knew or cared about the nuances of the Iraq War and before Iowa most supported Hilary. In the Dem primary Blacks voted on race period. Obama had a viable chance of being nominated after the Iowa win and Black Dems were going to all in their power to make his nomination a reality.

As far as the general yes Blacks generally support big government so supporting the Dems over the GOP makes perfect sense.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:51 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I am a white Independent, but I am sick of Repubs being constantly portrayed as racists. Repubs had a black woman (Condoleezza Rice) as both Secretary of Defense and Sec of State---not the Dems. Repubs had Colin Powell as Sec of Defense, not the Dems. And the Repubs tried to convince Powell to run for president---way before the Dems came up with Obama--who is only half black.
The Repubs had a black man as their Republican Party Leader--Michael Steele; not the Dems. What powerful political positions (not token small appointments) have the Dems ever given to blacks?

Yes, the Dems got a half-black President elected who has appointed some blacks to semi-high positions now, but they have been way behind the Republicans in appointing blacks to high and powerful positions. Same with the liberal media---only RECENTLY has MSNBC included two black journalists and opinionators. Same with CNN. While FOX has had 3 blacks hired for years.

The Tea party was labelled as rabid rasicsts, yet they enthusiastically sponsered Herman Cain.
As a black person, I don't consider the amount of black people in the GOP as evidence that they are not stereotypical and prejudiced against black people. I personally do not feel that the majority of GOP members are racist. I use the term "racist" for people like the KKK or skinheads or even the NOI (nation of Islam, the group Farrakhan leads) and very rarely would I put that title on someone who is not a part of these groups or similar groups. Basically I just feel it is high time that the leaders on the national level, in presidential politics stop using stereotypes and race baiting rhetoric in an attempt to gain the white prejudice vote. You should be able to admit that Gingrich did this. Paul had those very stereotypical, borderline racist newsletters published in his name for years and years. I am not going to even go into Santorum.

I actually greatly admire Condoleeza Rice and Colin Powell. The only problem I had with GW Bush was the Patriot Act (don't like that with Obama either) and going to war in Iraq. I also feel he could have done more to pull our country together in more solidarity after 9/11. But other than that, I didn't mind him much, I didn't even think he was racist when Hurricane Katrina happened. I thought he was personable and hilarious and also felt that he listened too much to the VP, who even though I didn't like that much, I also don't think is racist.

Like I said above I am an independent and I have voted for republicans mostly when I lived in Ohio because here in GA the republicans are too racially focused IMO but I have voted for libertarians here in GA because they can be conservative without all the racial rhetoric, which is what I wish the GOP would do. They would gain more support from black Americans if they did.

Quote:
Not a rant...An observation of a black RN and a black internal medicine MD in a round table discussion one night. Just their commentary and frustration about their community, extended family etc. The doc in particular said he feels like he is beating his head against the wall with his parents. They feel he is disloyal to the black community by not voting democrat. Maybe it is an older way of thinking? I am just curious on others take on my observation (and theirs) and yes I also see uneducacted republican voters but they worked their arses off to get where they are today and know it can be done the old fashion way without free handouts, just studying and being rewarded by their hard work/good grades with scholarships that they could only keep by keeping a certain grade point average. I am not black but am hearing similar thoughts throughout the black community and I am in the southeast. Very different from what I heard right before Obama was elected. Maybe this is the change coming?
So are you saying that uneducated black people (or even white uneducated people who are democrats) cannot and do not do the same thing. My dad actually does not have a high school diploma but he owns 2 taxi cabs now and he makes good money. He went to the military as well and is a veteran.

My mom was a teenage mom who dropped out of school, she eventually went back to school in early childhood education and now owns her own daycare. She also works PT for head start (she does 2nd and 3rd shift daycare). Many uneducated black people work or they worke their arses off to get where they are and don't take handouts, they get scholarships by keeping current GPAs. When I went to college I had to get a merit scholarship by keeping at least a 3.5, I got a 4.0 for four semesters in a row.

Your comments are what I was referring to in regards to the poster above. Too many people like to stereotype or generalize black people as not being hard workers or not obtaining higher education or of always being on some sort of assistance. It gets very old. Just so you know the large majority of black people are not on assistance and aren't poor and they work their arses off and many of us get merit scholarships or use loans to further our education.

Quote:
Out of curiosity are they hoping for a better democratic candidate? I'd even give Hillary a look as she is keen on foreign policy. Maybe people in healthcare black or white just shy away from Obama. Perhaps that is why they were outspoken? Just a thought
In the case of my family, no they aren't hoping for a better candidate. Most of them don't like everything about Obama but one usually doesn't like everything about any political candidate. Obama is the democratic candidate, so that is that.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:54 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,291 times
Quote:
They plan on voting for the best candidate available. Given the fact that Romney or Gingrich might win the Republican nomination, the answer would be clearly Obama. Just like it was in the last election.

I've known some people to complain, but then mention that he is still better than anything the Republican Party has to offer up. Sometimes, I wonder, if the Republicans are actually trying to throw the election. These clearly are not the best candidates that the Republican party has to offer up. I'm actually curious to know who they would be. Mitch Daniels? Christie? I'm telling you right now, it is definitely not Romney nor Gingrich.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:54 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
The Moral Of The Thread?

Black people are indeed stuck on the Democratic Plantation. Voting for the GOP is not, will not, could not, and should not ever be considered.

In other words: Nothing has changed. Loyalty To The Race will prevail in 2012. Beyond 2012, it will be Loyalty To The Party.

So why do Black people even attempt to deny it?

Old 01-23-2012, 10:57 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Explain your view of Alvin Greene's prominence in the Democratic Party, please.

And Corrine Brown is a prominent Democratic leader, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies