Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the U.S. mandate paid vacation / days off for all employees?
Yes 58 37.18%
No, keep it the way it is 94 60.26%
No opinion 4 2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 06:13 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, but in my experience, anything more than 4 weeks is EXTREMELY rare with the exception of senior executives. My own wife is pretty damn high up in the civil service and gets 8 hours per pay period. That works out to about 4 weeks a year.

In my own gig, only the PM gets to negotiate, and he gets no more than 4 weeks himself. I did just like you...i have my degree (had it since forever) and i've never been able to finagle anymore than 4 weeks. I'm 46, and i've had only 1 job that negotiated vacation time....paid or not. I can't complain about my pay, but the bennies suck ass, and as much as i've looked, it's very difficult to find anything that's doing much better in that arena.

In fact, i'm about to change jobs sometime this year, and even though the new gig will pay decently, nearly everyone starts out with 2 weeks and that's after a year on the job. Only the tip top managers (a tiny circle) earns more vacation.

Look...i don't want the federal government to drop the hammer in a fashion that would hurt businesses, but requiring 2 weeks a year isn't unreasonable. And since all of your competitors will have to do the same by law, it doesn't give one business a cost advantage over another.

I think what would end up happening, is that most businesses would relegate everyone to only two weeks per year, cutting mine and your benefits. Now I'd throw a hissy fit about it, and look for other jobs. But as you say, if everyone is doing it, well.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 06:15 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If you don't like your job, or want more vacation, find another job. If you can't find another job, start your own business or continue your education. If you can't do those, well, you aren't trying hard enough.

Anyone can take online classes at accredited schools. Almost everyone has access to free internet, or already has it in their home.

No one is holding anyone back.
That's not realistic. That was the same argument made by big business opposing min. wage laws, laws cutting down work hours from the 12 hours average, safety laws, etc. Realistically, as much as I dislike government involvement, if we didn't have these other laws, we'd have people working 12 hours a day for next to nothing and losing limbs and lives because dangerous working conditions are more profitable. It's no mystery today that people need time off from work to remain healthy, and it's time the laws caught up.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:20 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
That's not realistic. That was the same argument made by big business opposing min. wage laws, laws cutting down work hours from the 12 hours average, safety laws, etc. Realistically, as much as I dislike government involvement, if we didn't have these other laws, we'd have people working 12 hours a day for next to nothing and losing limbs and lives because dangerous working conditions are more profitable. It's no mystery today that people need time off from work to remain healthy, and it's time the laws caught up.
I think the problem comes from the policing of private sector unions. Many of the things we take for granted today are based on what unions fought for decades ago.

If we allowed unions to really strike on large employers, then employers would have to give them time off for compensation, or go under.

The problem is over regulation, not under regulation, as I see it.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:16 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
If that is the case, then the government should pay for the vacation. Now, if that was the case, I would not agree because I as a taxpayer do not see why I would have to pay someone if that someone did not do any work for me.
However, as someone wrote before, it is not the business of the government to interfere between an employer and and employee agreement in the private sector. Take care.
So should the government also pay for businesses to abide by normal business regulations?

I understand what you're trying to say, but it's kinda pointless.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:42 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,556,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So should the government also pay for businesses to abide by normal business regulations?

I understand what you're trying to say, but it's kinda pointless.
Why pointless, please expand. Take care.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Why pointless, please expand. Take care.
Why should the government pay for businesses to abide by the normal business regulations?

Old 01-31-2012, 08:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
And again maybe it should not be. Do you seriously think that all businesses in the country should be run like Google?
Why not? Those bennies make for happy employees, or at least happier ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Well I can agree with the self employee'd working a lot.

But its not overly simplistic, I believe.

The company I work for offers me about 8 weeks a year paid vacation. But I went to school, got a degree, and earned that. Before, I was working in factories with two weeks off a year, non paid for.

I did something about it, I went to school, I learned something. Others can do the same.

I am not for the federal government tinkering with businesses like that. My dad, for instance, a small business owner, would have to shut down if he offered his employees more then two weeks off a year. But hey, if an emergency comes up, or something special, you can talk to him and its very likely he'll give you the extra time anyway.

Of course its unpaid for, but hell they can barely pay the bills as it is.

The government shouldn't be regulating time off, no.

Hell my dad only gets about a weeks vacation a year, and his is unpaid for, and he's the owner.
It IS simplistic. DH and I both have degrees (he has a PhD) and every job we've ever had has started with two weeks vacation. I'm up to three (the max I think at my job) and he has four, the most he's ever had. desertdetroiter is correct; there is no negotiation on that or other bennies. The idea that it is negotiable is totally unrealistic.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:33 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,531,260 times
It is the workers that mandate. The way this thread is titled makes it sound like the US Government should mandate.

No. Let the free market work, and this minimum wage and mandating so many things is not the job of govt.

Most, if not all jobs already provide for vacation. I do not know one person alive that would agree to a job that didn't provide for vacation and sick-leave.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:38 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,034,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
It is the workers that mandate. The way this thread is titled makes it sound like the US Government should mandate.

No. Let the free market work, and this minimum wage and mandating so many things is not the job of govt.

Most, if not all jobs already provide for vacation. I do not know one person alive that would agree to a job that didn't provide for vacation and sick-leave.
nice to meet you. as a carpenter I never had a job that paid me not to work,well not in the last 40 years.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:44 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,531,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
nice to meet you. as a carpenter I never had a job that paid me not to work,well not in the last 40 years.
Self-employed? That is your reward above and beyond any time off that any employer could ever grant you. Way to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies