Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 05:10 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,088,653 times

Advertisements

Get rid of the unions and you'll. Get. Rid of the education problem in this country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 05:10 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
I am NO fan of teachers' unions, but I don't see this as a win for them or a loss for the kids. NCLB, while noble in purpose, ended up being nothing more than a federal powergrab. States and local school districts should be the ones pioneering better student outcomes, not the feds. We still need to collectively attempt to hold teachers accountable for their students' outcomes, but NCLB isn't the answer.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:11 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
Until we have leaders in this country that have courage and conviction like Gov Walker in Wisconsin that are willing to take on and pull the fangs out of the teacher unions, this country will continue to fall further behind the rest of the world.
I'm willing to bet the reason we fell behind was because of NCLB.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:12 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
Quote:
Why? Because the teacher unions don't like it? They don't like anything that forces them to actually teach!
Fail, another right wing goon pulled the union card a long time ago in this thread Good to see they all have the same programmed talking points

Old 02-09-2012, 05:15 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
But instead of teachers having to focus on just the test, it allows them to focus on the students that are achieving their goals properly, and allows them to move on while they dig deeper on the under achievers.

My son is exceptionally bright. High IQ, I'm proud of him. In second grade, he is reading on a fifth grade level. But the local school, because of meth heads and parents that don't give a damn, keeps getting a B rating from NCLB. So they ignore him, and focus on the kids that aren't passing the test.

If I were less of a parent, and not as involved with my childs education, he would fall to the lowest standard like other students in his class.

This removes an over regulated system that tied teachers hands to let good students fly.
You said something very sane and useful, but so many parents don't do as you do. Your involved in your son's education, which is a good thing, and one in which all paretns should hede, but for some odd reason they don't.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:17 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
This is 400 million dollars from the teacher's union to Obama in 2008 to end responsibility in teaching.
Why not institute mandatory laws forcing children to study and their parents to actually care about their children's education?
Such a law would all be cripple the right wing areas of this country as they think "all da ed-u-macation you dun need to know is how ta shoot diz rifle, carry diz bible, and vote republican, yeee ha!"

Old 02-09-2012, 05:25 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,534 times
Ted the Head wrote up the plan for NCLB. Spread the blame around, I think we should all agree it was an idiot idea aimed at educating those that don't care about being educated.
Many are to blame here.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:27 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,640,177 times
Y'All need to read Post #61, brought to you by HappyTexan. Says it all. One notorious, waste of taxpayer's money program being replaced with another, undoubtedly worse idiotic program. Nothing much will change. It never does.

If they get a waiver then they have to implement part of Race to the Top.

Among the details:
-Give up state based curriculum for the National curriculum defined by RTT
-Teacher evaluations will be based on student test scores

Here..read more and there's a link to the Government document.
NCLB waivers: The devil is in the details - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post

Old 02-09-2012, 05:28 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Until we have leaders in this country that have courage and conviction like Gov Walker in Wisconsin that are willing to take on and pull the fangs out of the teacher unions, this country will continue to fall further behind the rest of the world.
Well until we have posters who can read for comprehension and then turn around and respond to a post in a cogent and non-strawman manner...

What the frack does your comment have to do with what I wrote?????

Do you want less government involvement in education or less? Which is it going to be??

Old 02-09-2012, 05:36 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
You said something very sane and useful, but so many parents don't do as you do. Your involved in your son's education, which is a good thing, and one in which all paretns should hede, but for some odd reason they don't.
Most people are tired. I try not to expect others to live up to the standards I set for myself.

When you've worked a 12 hour day, its hard to make time for someone else, even your kids I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies