Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 01:36 AM

323 posts, read 321,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
It usually IS the male's fault, addiction to drugs/alcohol, adultery, physical/mental abuse, financial destruction, etc..

So it is "better" for children to grow up in a violent, drug/alcohol addicted household with financial disaster than a divorced mother?

What does your wife think about your attitude about marriage and divorce?
Your wrong! its about 50% for either reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 01:41 AM

323 posts, read 321,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
We can pick this up another day, hopefully.

Looking at practical, earthly considerations for marriage - financial/economic security, social status, mutual support, etc. - I can see these as motivating a marriage in the beginning but not through the long haul. Today, for example, women no longer need marriage for financial security and so they divorce their husbands in record numbers. Marriage is no longer a status indicator, and no one's social status will suffer as the result of a divorce, so why hang in there through hard times? For marriage to survive in modern society it seems to me that the religious element is more necessary than ever.

Anyway, go get some rest. I've enjoyed the exchange.
Exactly marriage is overrated! Sure protect the kids, but **** the wife!

Old 02-14-2012, 03:11 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,075,469 times
Quote:
Please, lady, do a little research before you start spouting off ignorantly. Very few divorces are for any of the reasons you mention. Most are for vague notions of "irreconcilable differences", "incompatibility", general unhappiness, or what have you.
FIRST it isn't lady ... almost all are for the reasons I stated, what is in the paper work is another matter.
Your wife must be one of those females so afraid of you she follows your every word.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:53 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
So, people still do get married, unlike what you had claimed.

I don't know if those studies on cohabitation are solid. For instance one would have to look at how these people differ from married people, for instance in terms of social status, relationship history, age of the couples (older married people probably have different attitudes and behaviors than younger married people), the likelihood of abuse being reported (which is much less in married people, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen), etc.

Anyway, just assuming those findings are correct, why on earth would you want to make the death thingy binding? It would make the rate of cohabiting couples skyrocket...

Like it or not, you can't make society return to some old status, which you think was better than today's, by coercion.

Last edited by Neuling; 02-14-2012 at 06:05 AM..

Old 02-14-2012, 06:46 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
I have made many mistakes, and still make them, and some of them do have lifelong consequences. Marriage is serious business. Treating it shabbily ought to have consequences.

Having said that, sometimes people suffer innocently. You might marry a woman who has an accident and is permanently disabled and brain-damaged. It's nobody's fault. But yes, you will suffer, and shouldn't you? "To love is to suffer." - Dostoyevsky
And another thing about this post..... If I hadn't known you were male this would let me know:

""You might marry a woman who has an accident and is permanently disabled and brain-damaged. It's nobody's fault. But yes, you will suffer, and shouldn't you? """

Only a man would look at that situation as HIS suffering completely ignoring the woman's suffering...

AND: I hope you're talking about a woman who already had kids or she doesn't really have a marriage..right? No breeding, no marriage according to you...so if she's incapacitated and can't breed what do you do with her????????????????

Old 02-14-2012, 10:49 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Your wife must be one of those females so afraid of you she follows your every word.
Ha, she'd laugh at that. I definitely married up. She's the brightest and most courageous woman I know, a professional with a doctorate who is nevertheless entirely devoted to her family. You should want to be her when you grow up.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:58 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
So, people still do get married, unlike what you had claimed.
Of course, haven't you seen the show Bridezillas, lmao

That's one of the worst problems for marriage, imo, crazy women obsessed with their weddings, but screw the reality of marriage that follows!

God Bless America....& God Help us....!

Old 02-14-2012, 11:07 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Of course, haven't you seen the show Bridezillas, lmao

That's one of the worst problems for marriage, imo, crazy women obsessed with their weddings, but screw the reality of marriage that follows!

God Bless America....& God Help us....!
I know what you're sayin'.....that sick twisted concept of a wedding as some coronation of a god, or "We Must Impress Our Family and Friends With How Broke We Can Get Buying Party Decorations"... ...seems for some women and their mothers, the WEDDING itself is the important thing.

After that, everything seems pretty tame....boring...

If people didn't make such a big deal over a stupid ceremony maybe they could focus on their future together....

Old 02-14-2012, 03:54 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,976,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
No, immaturity and shameless betrayal get in the way.
Biblical concepts were fine for Little House on the Prairie days. The fact is, there are a lot more demands on people these days from the outside world. There is a lot more input into people from media. We know a lot more about life and the world around us. We change.

We are no longer like pet dogs who can be herded into an area, breed, and can be told to stay in place.

Sometimes we just change in different ways. Sometimes our partner is not flexible. I don't think people should expect to stay in the same marriage for life, especially if you get married while young. I know I have changed considerably since in my twenties.

I think the problem is not that people break up and form new relationships, society is changing with us and that's just going to happen. I think the problem is with the children. Do people have them too easily? When people do choose to have them should the marriage be cemented legally in some way?

I do think many people have children who have little idea of how it will change their lives. It puts a horrendous strain on the marriage. It is even worse for a single parent who will not have the time to spend with the child as much as he/she would like and if the kid is male he will probably bring some trouble home. Kids know when they are not wanted and sometimes the novelty wears off and mummy's little blessing turns out not being so.

So, knowing that divorce will happen, should we be addressing the issue of having/rearing kids?

Old 02-14-2012, 04:01 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Ha, she'd laugh at that. I definitely married up. She's the brightest and most courageous woman I know, a professional with a doctorate who is nevertheless entirely devoted to her family. You should want to be her when you grow up.
Um, no....sorry, I would think most women of intellect want to be like themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies