Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 09:46 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
And you missed the other part of my post....seems you can't face it:

Do you make mistakes? Do you plan to suffer the rest of your life for every mistake YOU'VE made.....wouldn't that be rather stupid???
I have made many mistakes, and still make them, and some of them do have lifelong consequences. Marriage is serious business. Treating it shabbily ought to have consequences.

Having said that, sometimes people suffer innocently. You might marry a woman who has an accident and is permanently disabled and brain-damaged. It's nobody's fault. But yes, you will suffer, and shouldn't you? "To love is to suffer." - Dostoyevsky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 09:57 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I have made many mistakes, and still make them, and some of them do have lifelong consequences. Marriage is serious business. Treating it shabbily ought to have consequences. """

Ya, like divorce....who wants to be married to someone who treats marriage "shabbily"????

"""Having said that, sometimes people suffer innocently. You might marry a woman who has an accident and is permanently disabled and brain-damaged. It's nobody's fault. But yes, you will suffer, and shouldn't you? "To love is to suffer." - Dostoyevsky
Dostoyevsky is your god???

Suffer because Dostoyevsky said so.....

That's insane....

Nope, sorry, YOU might need to suffer, I don't.....

Old 02-13-2012, 10:01 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
I have made many mistakes, and still make them, and some of them do have lifelong consequences. Marriage is serious business. Treating it shabbily ought to have consequences.

Having said that, sometimes people suffer innocently. You might marry a woman who has an accident and is permanently disabled and brain-damaged. It's nobody's fault. But yes, you will suffer, and shouldn't you? "To love is to suffer." - Dostoyevsky
It also sounds like you're making an argument FOR spousal abuse.....

Old 02-13-2012, 10:02 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,661 times
Quote:
Clever. But in order to be divorced, one first needs to be married, and atheists have much lower rates of marriage - and higher rates of cohabitation - than the general population.

Therefore, atheists who do marry are self-selected to be the most committed to marriage.
In other words, Christians rush into marriage more quickly than atheists.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:12 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Has anyone posted the original study?
www.thefamilywatch.org/doc/doc-0283-es.pdf

Anyway, this journal seems highly suspicious. It's acronym is MARRI, and it advocates for traditional christian marriages? Come-on now. Not saying the methods are wrong, but as another poster said, don't try to pass religion off as science. It's just intellectually dishonest.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:22 PM

93 posts, read 112,870 times
Happy, well-adjusted product of divorce here. This study does not seem reliable to me, either.

I highly doubt that divorce has more of a harmful impact than living with two miserable parents. And anything serious that happens to you or your family when you are a child always affects you decades later. Dur.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:45 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
According to a comprehensive new study published in January, divorce, it turns out, does great harm to children individually and society generally.

"The concluding section of the study commented that unlike the divorced parents, who can often find relief following separation, children's suffering continues long after divorce. In fact, its effects continue for decades, as long as three decades.

'Divorce has pervasive weakening effects on children and on all of the five major institutions of society -- the family, the church, the school, the marketplace, and government itself,' Fagan and Churchill concluded.

With the high level of divorce in recent times these debilitating consequences will continue to be played out in the years to come. Not a comforting thought as Western society continues to witness continued attacks on family life and attempts to re-define marriage."

It's long past time for a return to social, legal and political support for indissoluable Christian marriage.
Indissoluable marriage is the dumbest thing I have heard of. There is this other thing, it happens in marriage occasionally and it is terrible for children and has been proven to be bad by legitimate studies. Its called domestic violence.

Now there is no rational reason to victimize women and children by forcing them to be in an indissoluable marriage with their batterer. There is a reason why we have divorce.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:58 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
It also sounds like you're making an argument FOR spousal abuse.....
That is exactly what I thought.

I strongly suggest anyone who is seriously considering making marriage indissoluable read the following.

North Carolina v. Norman

Old 02-13-2012, 11:02 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
According to a comprehensive new study published in January, divorce, it turns out, does great harm to children individually and society generally.

"The concluding section of the study commented that unlike the divorced parents, who can often find relief following separation, children's suffering continues long after divorce. In fact, its effects continue for decades, as long as three decades.

'Divorce has pervasive weakening effects on children and on all of the five major institutions of society -- the family, the church, the school, the marketplace, and government itself,' Fagan and Churchill concluded.

With the high level of divorce in recent times these debilitating consequences will continue to be played out in the years to come. Not a comforting thought as Western society continues to witness continued attacks on family life and attempts to re-define marriage."

It's long past time for a return to social, legal and political support for indissoluable Christian marriage.
When death do us part ruled, marriages were shorter, and resulted in more children & wives in the morgue as God intended?

It's quite a desperate bit of propaganda they've dredged up trying to avoid teaching men what fatherhood is really all about. What honoring thy mother and thy father is really all about. To neglect half the flock as an afterthought at best, a handy scapegoat at it's worst. Not very Christian of them, now is it? Jesus would be ashamed of them all.

If men are such cowards that they'd go to these insane extremes to avoid simply loving his wife, loving his children truly, he's unworthy of both. That's all folks. If the prostitutes own them, they can keep them. They've made themselves unfit for civilization resentful & abusive of their mothers. It's a good thing you told them not to listen to women ever, because his soul might have been saved. But... Father knows best about blind obedience & animating half the species in a supremacy war against the other half.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:17 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
That is exactly what I thought.

I strongly suggest anyone who is seriously considering making marriage indissoluable read the following.

North Carolina v. Norman
I've got a plan. Lets subject those judges to an equal amount of years of random acts of violence by someone claiming to love them, which they are legally bound to, and lets see how fast they change their minds about putting 3 bullets in this drunks head.

Equal justice ought to apply to the 'decision makers' in a court room a little more often. Let it apply to the LE officers calling 911 and getting ignored, or scolded for bothering them, and handed back to the animal. Let it apply to the doctors rolling their eyes about broken bones and never following through with social workers and LE. Treat em and street em. Wash your hands with your conscience.

Put the cross she's carrying on each of their backs by writ. Find out what it is you've made decisions about. We'll call it 'tough love' boot camp for "expert" professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies