Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:27 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,475,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I am an atheist realist. Many people are not lucky enough to love and be loved by the same person throughout their entire lives. We live a lot longer than we used to, and we lead different lives. Actually, the very fact that love is the dominating factor today is the reason for the high divorce rate. In the past marriages were often just a social agreement. It often did not matter if people were compatible or attracted to each other. I am happy we are beyond that.
I am not. And you are right, the fact that marriage is now seen as ONLY being about the love and not at all about the promise is indeed the reason for the high divorce rate. People are just disgustingly self-centered, and there's no fooling anyone about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 11:28 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,738,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Then there is no reason to have such a thing as marriage at all.

Nobody needs to make public promises to stay together as long as they're happy.
Initially most couples do think it will last till they die. But life gets in the way.
People promise all kinds of things. And sometimes it makes sense to break a promise. I see no point in keeping a promise just for the sake of keeping a promise.
Having said that I would definitely support getting rid of that promise/vow and make it a statement of best intentions instead, so to speak.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Initially most couples do think it will last till they die. But life gets in the way.
No, immaturity and shameless betrayal get in the way.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I am not. And you are right, the fact that marriage is now seen as ONLY being about the love and not at all about the promise is indeed the reason for the high divorce rate. People are just disgustingly self-centered, and there's no fooling anyone about it.
Self-centered? I think we are simply much more aware of our one and only life and don't want to waste it.

I prefer getting a friendly divorce, so that those two people can still be friends and visit each other and spend time together with their kids. Divorce wars are much worse for kids as they sometimes feel like being the reason for it all or having to decide whose side to be on.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:33 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,605,242 times
Quote:
Indeed. The problem is that marriage has become, in the minds of most, primarily about LUUUVVV, which is to say sex and romance and warm fuzzies, and not about self-giving love in the classical sense.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
No, immaturity and shameless betrayal get in the way.
I hope you will never get into that situation and be forced to realize you are being unfair.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:36 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
My wife and I both come from divorced families. The difference, I was very young, my wife was in her teens. Make no mistake, it screwed us up in different ways. At least my mom did remarry, and is still with my step-dad who quite frankly has been more of a father than my real dad. It was still an adjustment. I always tell newlyweds, and couples who intend to get married, that in order for a marriage to last, you have to be best friends. When that initial bliss, and infatuation wears off (and it does) and when life has a tendency to get in the way (kids, money problems, job loss, health issues..ect...), in the end, if you're not best friends, then it isn't going to work. My wife and I are going on 12 years being married, and 16 years all together. So, considering that we both came from divorced families, we must be doing something right.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I think we are simply much more aware of our one and only life and don't want to waste it.
Not everyone regards meeting one's obligations to someone to whom we pledged our lives as a waste.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
My wife and I both come from divorced families. The difference, I was very young, my wife was in her teens. Make no mistake, it screwed us up in different ways. At least my mom did remarry, and is still with my step-dad who quite frankly has been more of a father than my real dad. It was still an adjustment. I always tell newlyweds, and couples who intend to get married, that in order for a marriage to last, you have to be best friends. When that initial bliss, and infatuation wears off (and it does) and when life has a tendency to get in the way (kids, money problems, job loss, health issues..ect...), in the end, if you're not best friends, then it isn't going to work. My wife and I are going on 12 years being married, and 16 years all together. So, considering that we both came from divorced families, we must be doing something right.
Indeed, and in order to be best friends you have to be compatible.
Maybe it would make sense to postpone marriage till infatuation is gone, just like they say one should not go shopping on an empty stomach

Old 02-13-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I hope you will never get into that situation and be forced to realize you are being unfair.
No, I recognized a long time ago that the world doesn't revolve around me, so I doubt that will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies