Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "You don't need a gun, if you make wise choices in life"
I agree with this statement. 41 14.75%
I disagree with this statement. 237 85.25%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:28 AM

46,374 posts, read 27,214,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't consider getting the paperwork 'hampering', as stated before.
I agree....however, again you had to get paperwork, a person who is military/government type person does not need paperwork to transfer a weapon thorugh NY as long as they are on official duty.......or at least that's the way I read that particular paragraph....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 10:31 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,223,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Has little to do with choices and everything to do with circumstrances.

You probably won't need a gun, but if you ever do, you'll really need it.
You could say the same for a parachute. Should I carry a parachute every time I fly in an airplane?

Old 02-21-2012, 10:52 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,142,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

In what context?

Guns: Illegal firearms, or those legally obtained and responsibly used? Choices: Do you mean the choice to commit a crime, shoot someone, or wear stripes and plaid?

The poll is too ambiguous.

Fail.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:07 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,545,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Well, I know it's all how you read between the lines....but to me that little statment means "If you are government, military, or somthing like that on official business" you can carry between states and not be hampered.

Not as a single person going through NY with a full auto M-4.

Just my opinion....
I'm not sure how you got that out of it. It was passed specifically to protect individuals with guns passing through unfriendly states. The relevant part is:

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

Old 02-21-2012, 11:08 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,545,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I agree....however, again you had to get paperwork, a person who is military/government type person does not need paperwork to transfer a weapon thorugh NY as long as they are on official duty.......or at least that's the way I read that particular paragraph....
Machineguns and DD's always require ATF approval to go across state lines. That's because of the NFA, not state laws.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:15 AM

46,374 posts, read 27,214,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I'm not sure how you got that out of it. It was passed specifically to protect individuals with guns passing through unfriendly states. The relevant part is:

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."
Well, that's not what I read nor posted.......below is what I asked if you were talking about....and you said "yep."

Quote:
and federal protection of transportation of firearms through states where possession of those firearms would otherwise be illegal.
I agree, with what you posted...if a state is not allowing this...then they are wrong....

Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,855,482 times
Absolutely disagree.

A group of well educated, fine upstanding individuals were in a home in a nice neighborhood. They had made wise choices in life and were living well.

Two men forced their way into the home resulting in the 5 people being raped, sodomized, forced to perform sexually for their attackers, then hauled naked to the banks to withdraw cash from ATMS. Taken to a field, forced to kneel naked in the snow they were shot in the back of their heads execution style. One of the women survived, and after the attackers left she ran naked in the snow to a home to find help.

I wish they'd had guns, maybe one of them would have been able to stop the deaths of the rest of his friends.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:33 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,174,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I agree with this statement. I want to make it very clear that I am 100% pro gun rights and all for CCW with training and a permit and I am 95% in tune with the NRA on the issue of gun rights. I believe that, if you feel the need for a gun or just want one, you should be allowed to have one. If you wish to carry it in public, a few more restrictions such as being trained on the safe use of a gun and legally when you can use it (no you can't shoot the school kid cutting across your lot) and you prove at a range to an NRA Certified trainer that you can handle and accurately shoot a gun, you have every right to carry one.
But, as for the question, if you make wise choices as to where you hang out, where you live, where you shop and such, you probably will not feel the need for a gun. Here where we live, I have never felt the need to strap. The neighborhoods are safe and quiet, the schools are good and we have a police force that is prompt should there be any drama (Henderson, Nevada). If you avoid bad areas and bad people, you will not feel the need for a gun.
It would already be too late. When a small group of guys can break into a gun shop, set off the alarm, steal nearly 60 guns and be GONE in less than four minutes-fifty seconds, before PD arrives.... You are as good as scr*wed. Any honest one will tell you that too!

Old 02-21-2012, 11:39 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,475,914 times
You can make all the good decisions in life one must make. However that does not stop the criminal mind, from doing harm to you. And believe me almost every week here in American, in a different State, there is criminal minds, doing just that harming the innocent. Kidnapping our future generations of children, and yes murdering them.

A gun is for one's protection, because as i have learned, having our house broke into on 3 occasions, if we were home at that time, do not know what would the outcome have been.

Making good decisions will not stop a criminal, when you beg them not to hurt you, they do not care, guns are for protection.

It is very sad out there in this big bad world, todays, criminals don't bat an eye at taking someone's lives, infact they do it everyday! i bet a lof of these innocent victims, had a lot of common sense.
And made right choices in life, the bad guys don't give a crap.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:48 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,174,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
You can make all the good decisions in life one must make. However that does not stop the criminal mind, from doing harm to you. And believe me almost every week here in American, in a different State, there is criminal minds, doing just that harming the innocent. Kidnapping our future generations of children, and yes murdering them.

A gun is for one's protection, because as i have learned, having our house broke into on 3 occasions, if we were home at that time, do not know what would the outcome have been.

Making good decisions will not stop a criminal, when you beg them not to hurt you, they do not care, guns are for protection.

It is very sad out there in this big bad world, todays, criminals don't bat an eye at taking someone's lives, infact they do it everyday! i bet a lof of these innocent victims, had a lot of common sense.
And made right choices in life, the bad guys don't give a crap.
This is all true. What does somewhat keep them in check is FEAR!! Am I going to die for raping this woman? Am I going to be shot for breaking into this house? Does this guy have a gun? You bet your ass I do!

Eastwood's Greatest Hits - Dirty Harry - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies