Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should parents be able to circumcise their son?
Yes 206 75.74%
No 66 24.26%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:43 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I'm not a democrat and I still think it's gross, sad and should be dealt with by the owner of the penis as an adult. I think it's just as wrong as parents that get their 16 year old girl a boob job because her friends have one. Or boys will like it better when she's naked. That's her business.
I don't get why Christians and non followers follow another religions practices? Confused about this one.
You're not getting it because you're comparing apples to oranges.

Comparing boob jobs to circumcision? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 12:45 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why would a person be pissed when completely sold to the idea without having a clue of what he/she lost? In the USA, circumcision has gone from a religious ritual to cosmetic surgery (this is where "partners' perceptions" come into play), and medical excuses to go with it. I believe circumcision peak in the USA was achieved in the 1960s and its "popularity" has been going down since. It wasn't that popular until the 1920s either.
You can safely assume that pubescent boys speak amongst themselves in reference to their new found sexuality and compare notes...so to speak. I have never heard a guy complaining about their lack of sexual sensation during any sexual act due to their being circumcised. It is not only uncircumcised men that seek out ways to prevent premature ejaculation, so we can assume if sensation is decreased, it is not by much worth mentioning. From a female vantage point, most if not all females I know, prefer the circumcised man for health and aesthtic reasons. I do not mean to demean the uncircumcised male, but I am just speaking form experience concerning both male and female opinions on the subject.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:46 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
eh, I disagree with you there. I think in another 5-10 years they'll find that there are more health risks that they discounted recently and will change their minds about it... much like the doctors and scientists do on everything. It'll come back into practice and become the norm again. Society swings like a pendulum, from one extreme to another. That's why I listen to doctors and public opinion, but take it all with a grain of salt. It changes too much for them to always be right at this particular moment in time. I make my decisions on everything I can find on any given topic. I've even kept up on this whole topic even though my boys are in their late teens now because I want to know if I made the right decision or not. And so far, there's been nothing new that's come out to make me feel any differently about it.
I think this is very true (it's cyclical) which is why I find the righteous indignation from the anti-circ crowd to be a bit over the top.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:54 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
It has certainly been strongly implied. But I'm glad to hear that it's not your argument. Let's have no more talk about mutilation, pain, being intact or cut, etc., because those are all side issues. You're OK with anything so long as you choose it for yourself. The issue, for you, is personal choice, period.

I expect, then, to hear similar arguments from you against parental tyranny in choosing a child's name, language, country, religion or lack thereof, hometown, style of dress, length of hair, etc. Some of these are reversible, and some aren't. I can change my name as an adult, but my native language will always be my native language. Nevertheless all of these parental choices, and a thousand others besides, will affect the child's identity and personality for the rest of his life. You can't change the past and you can't erase history. And all of these parental choices are imposed on the child without his consent.
No, I don't and won't make similar arguments about names and language and hair length. They are not related. I addressed it a bit in a previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It's not about identity. You as a parent or family member certainly have the right to try and instill a self-identity in your child consistent with your values and your norms. Your child, however, has the right and free will to accept or reject these upon reaching adulthood. That kind of identity is very, very different than the physical intactness of one's physical self. By circumcising, you've made a physical alteration that is permanent. You have forever taken away that person's freedom and free will over that aspect of his physical self.
Of course you have the right to try and instill your values (religious or otherwise) into you child and to dictate to your child style of dress, lengeth of hair, etc (although good luck trying to "dictate" once they reach teenage years). While I often think it's best to give your kids a certain amount of freedom within boundaries, it's up to the parent to set those boundaries and determine how wide they are.

The one big, main difference between your examples and infant circumcision is that one is the permanent removal of a perfectly healthy and functional body part, and the others are not. You can try and instill your values and norms into your kids, but they have the freedom and free will to accept or reject them as an adult. You can dictate or influence your kids style of dress, hair length,etc, but they have the freedom and free will to accept or reject that influence as an adult. With circumcision, you have made a permanent physical alteration - a permanent removal of a body part. You have taken away that person's free will and denied him that freedom to ever have any choice in the matter whatsoever.

Elective childhood male circumcision is not analogous to things like choosing your kids hair length. Here's a better analogy using your example of hair length. It's akin to permanently removing your kids hair through laser hair removal (a relatively simple and painless procedure these days). Do you think a parent has, or should have, the right to permanently remove hair from his child's head?

Old 02-21-2012, 12:57 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Circumcision is no longer a religious issue but rather a medical issue. I see many older boys and men, who were not circumcised, get circumcisions due to chronic infections or phimosis.

Phimosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-21-2012, 01:02 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
I voted yes because parents having their sons circumcised is done out of love. It's not like parents are twisted and evil.

The anti-circumcision folks can shove it.

I love my sons sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o much that I would never have a knife put to their privates.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:08 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yes, I think parents should have the right. Just like they should have the right NOT to circumsize their male child. Personally, I'm not a fan of the uncut look, and I've dealt with both. I'm definitely happy that my husband is circumsized.
me too.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:10 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
I have no compelling opinion on the matter.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:12 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Circumcision is no longer a religious issue but rather a medical issue. I see many older boys and men, who were not circumcised, get circumcisions due to chronic infections or phimosis.

Phimosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Precisely. And chronic infections and phimosis aren't even the half of it.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:12 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm glad I was 'un-cut', because personally I think they should not. The foreskin is part of the human anatomy, and circumcision is almost a form of multilation. I don't buy the supposed 'health benefits' which most medical professionals refute (most stick to it for personal or sometimes religious reasons, especially Muslims and Jews). Removing the foreskin has also been shown to reduce sexual pleasure, which would be a bit of a bummer. Anyway, if the boy or maybe man decides to have the procedure done for any reason it is easily done with anaesthetic. It is, practically speaking, not possible to reverse circumcision.

It's not as extreme as female circumcision, obviously, but I just feel it's a violation of someone's person to modify their body like that, with them having no say in it.
Our doctor convinced us that circumcision wasn't necessary in infants. Well now our second son developed a problem in the area that would have been circumcised and ended up getting basically the same thing at 2 years of age. One son never had a problem and the other had to have it done. I can guarantee you that the 2 year old had a worse time of it than his brother as far as discomfort from the surgery is concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies