Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:24 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Funny that you deceived masses would choose Washington and Lincoln, since Lincoln would have stood Washington in front of a firing squad for acts of treason, just as surely as if old "Honest Abe" had been King George himself.

How people can embrace such contradiction speaks volumes of the level of brain damage that much of the American public certainly suffers.
Lincoln would have stood Washington in front of a firing line? Lincoln fought to perserve the democratic Republic that Washington helped to found. Had the southern zealots been allowed to succeed, democracy would have been extinguished from the world -- as every crank and splitter who disagreed with the majority rule on some minor point would have seceded until there was scarcely two neighborhoods left in this great land that could cooperate together to accomplish something. It's a shame what Sherman did, Guy, but don't let his actions color your opinion about the great saint Lincoln. If you love America (and apparently from your previous comments you don't particularly) you must thank Lincoln for his part in creating the nation in its current form. I realize that as a typical Texan, your political sympathies are more beholden to the Lonestar than to the Stars and Stripes, but us true patriots who love this land still pray for Lincoln, God rest his soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,402 times
How about a variant with a little more meat.

Three before Lincoln, Three after Lincoln and leave Lincoln for another day.

Argument - Different worlds. Washington and Reagan don't correlate.

Lincoln is either on every ones list of the three best or three worst. I would think he is actually the most formative of the Presidents...He made us what we are...but, then again, is that good or bad?

I go with Roosevelt, Truman and Clinton for the recent. I pass on the past for the moment. I feel secure in two but not three.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:01 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Morning P&oC folks!

On this Presidents' Day, I thought I'd ask you all for your opinion on the greatest president. Who do you think are the top three greatest American presidents, and why?

Personally, my vote is for Lincoln, FDR and Washington, in that order. (Though I might switch FDR and Washington *shrug*) Lincoln and FDR both helped lead us through our two greatest national crises, and Washington set many critical precedents that others subsequently followed. He was the one unifying figure in our early days and it's safe to say America probably wouldn't have made it if it weren't for President Washington.

Okay, now how about you?

mackinac81
My top Presidents are
1. Washington
2. Jefferson
3. Lincoln
4. Eisenhower.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:03 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,685 times
1.Taft
2. Polk
3. Van Buren

Old 02-21-2012, 04:13 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson. Fourth would be Theodore Rooevelt. I'll have to think about the fifth.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:24 AM

779 posts, read 537,522 times
Teddy, and his cousin.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:13 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
That's secession. I don't support that, I support the United States, not the seceded states.

then you dont believe in freedom, you believe in the federal goverment. our founding fathers intended for the states to have more power than the federal goverment.

I believe that if state wants to secede or the threat of it then so be it, it is the only way left that the federal goverment can be kept in check.

also remember, our founding fathers would have been secessionists as well, as they wanted independent goverment free from british influences.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:14 AM

779 posts, read 537,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
then you dont believe in freedom, you believe in the federal goverment. our founding fathers intended for the states to have more power than the federal goverment.

I believe that if state wants to secede or the threat of it then so be it, it is the only way left that the federal goverment can be kept in check.
Links?

Old 02-21-2012, 05:16 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Lincoln and the two Roosevelts.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:17 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
Links?

really? try reading my post before speculating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies