Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 07:42 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been paying for it with my taxes, but not for long. There is a LOT I can do about it. The easiest is to set myself up as to appear financially destitute, i.e. have no assets in my name (and off-shore). Piece of cake. I guess then you and others can pick up the slack, and pay for the socially and economically irresponsibles.... Enjoy!
I readily donate to institutions helping people in need. Plus, about 1/4th of my gross income goes to social security alone here.
Life is all about the well-being of society, not about me or my bank account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 07:45 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,942,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I readily donate to institutions helping people in need. Plus, about 1/4th of my gross income goes to social security alone here.
Try buying an Aston Martin with "the well being of society" and see how far that gets you.

/s

Old 02-28-2012, 07:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Agreed.

Question...

Why does the right wing oppose all measures that would minimize this issue?
The only measures that really work are responsibility, self-control, and morals.

Nothing is stopping the welfare crowd from getting birth control and sterilizations. We live in the birth control age where there are hundreds of methods and combinations of methods yet there are more babies being born to welfare programs than ever before.

Maybe the liberal measures are what don't work?

As long as you pay people to breed, they will do so, as long as requires only giving birth to access the free government housing, free food, free utilities, free health care, free everything, you're going to get millions of takers.

Poverty is at an all time high because as long as we throw big money at it, it will continue to grow.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 AM

802 posts, read 1,322,080 times
Quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. And thus, the crux of the problem. Why do people think I need to fund their offspring, without them taking full responsibility for them? I guess the term is 'selfish' is due here, on their part.

This is the land of USA.

--- I owe you nothing
--- I will not violate your Constitutional rights (or Bill or Rights)
--- I ask nothing from you
--- Please ask nothing from me.

I DO fully support paying taxes for things that everyone needs... roads, fire, police, etc. The staples of goverment involvement... but beyond that, you are on your own. Always has been that way, and I hope it always will be. This is what made our country strong.

I do have an option.... impregnate every woman I can find (that will be easy), transfer all assets out of my name, so I am destitute... go on welfare, unemployment, housing assistance... wow... I can live it up... yet keep the yacht in a nice dock off of Sanibel Island.
I completely agree with you. And once those children grow up and go to school the taxpayers will be paying for breakfast, lunch and in some places, dinner. The parents just don't want to take responsibility for their offspring.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:06 AM

74 posts, read 52,738 times
It is very selfish to have a child knowing that you are going to be on welfare. On the other hand, should the child sufffer because of the parents? No. BC should remain completely available, and if you are conservative and don't want to take bc don't have sex. I think they should cut down on welfare, but not completely get rid of it because again the child would suffer.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Try buying an Aston Martin with "the well being of society" and see how far that gets you.

/s
Why on earth would I even want to try that? I deliberately don't have a driver's license

Old 02-28-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoPlayer17 View Post
It is very selfish to have a child knowing that you are going to be on welfare. On the other hand, should the child sufffer because of the parents? No. BC should remain completely available, and if you are conservative and don't want to take bc don't have sex. I think they should cut down on welfare, but not completely get rid of it because again the child would suffer.
It's not selfish, it's human. And it happened in the past, too, not just today. The difference is that today we care about what happens to children.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:23 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,451,591 times
Quote:

100% of my estate goes to charities of my choice.. Does yours? Not sure what fraction of society chooses to do that, but I would imagine it is rather small. Personally I feel I am humanitarian and altruistic for those that are personally responsible. Otherwise, well, let's not go there.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:30 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,451,591 times
Quote:
Why on earth would I even want to try that? I deliberately don't have a driver's license
---------------------------------------------------------------------

All of us other drivers thank you for not having one. I deliberately had no children, which is is a far bigger positive impact for the earth than you not having a driver's license. Let's not start tit-for-tat....

Old 02-28-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:

100% of my estate goes to charities of my choice.. Does yours? Not sure what fraction of society chooses to do that, but I would imagine it is rather small. Personally I feel I am humanitarian and altruistic for those that are personally responsible. Otherwise, well, let's not go there.
What does the bolded part mean?

I don't mind my money being used to help those that are not personally responsible (actually the others don't need my help anyway). I am a realist, I know people simply keep behaving in ways they shouldn't, whether I help them or not. **** happens...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies