Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 08:01 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Until we can find a way to "punish" the irresponsible without hurting their children, there's zero point in this thread. .

That was my understanding after reading the OP.

I have a special needs child. I've been fortunate enough to find employment with a company who is understanding and allows me to work around his weekly therapies, go to frequent doctor visits, take him for blood work & EEG scans and attend short-notice IEP meetings. A lot of my acquaintances aren't. Many of them have been reduced to single income because they weren't able to schedule around those things or because their child needs around the clock care and their insurance doesn't cover that. And now A LOT of them are receiving WIC, food stamps, SSI, etc. One of my closest associates had to quit a six figure job because her son kept getting kicked out of schools due to aggressive behavior and their insurance does not cover placing him in a facility. So now she stays home with him. I doubt she sat down with her husband and said "now do we have enough money to have a non-verbal aggressive child who will get kicked out of every school we place him in?"

I haven't seen anyone on this thread advocating that you should keep having babies knowing you can't feed them but you can't always plan for life. It sometimes throws you a curve ball and it's nice to know that we're in a country that will help you maintain while you reposition yourself.

Last edited by nat_at772; 02-27-2012 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 08:03 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,942,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, not everyone is in poverty and then decides to have children. Sometimes the poverty comes after the children. And you can't quite put them back.
Wal-Mart and JCP have great return policies. You never know.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:26 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I am not a fan of a Welfare state but I think your forget people lose jobs EVERYDAY. People ride the welfare bus for YEARS. I have read articles where people have been on Food Stamps for 15, 20 years.

That was the case with my family....I got WIC for 2 months then I just stopped it altogether. It made me feel like sh*t! I felt like the scum of the earth.

Never again!
At least someone knows from experience how it was. Sounds like you found a way to move ahead, I'd think if one person can do it why not the rest. It's there for temporary help not a lifestyle. The same with the rest of the program people are making a career out of living on welfare.

Good for YOU!!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:33 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,942,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
That was my understanding after reading the OP.

I have a special needs child. I've been fortunate enough to find employment with a company who is understanding and allows me to work around his weekly therapies, go to frequent doctor visits, take him for blood work & EEG scans and attend short-notice IEP meetings. A lot of my acquaintances aren't. Many of them have been reduced to single income because they weren't able to schedule around those things or because their child needs around the clock care and their insurance doesn't cover that. And now A LOT of them are receiving WIC, food stamps, SSI, etc. One of my closest associates had to quit a six figure job because her son kept getting kicked out of schools due to aggressive behavior and their insurance does not cover placing him in a facility. So now she stays home with him. I doubt she sat down with her husband and said "now do we have enough money to have a non-verbal aggressive child who will get kicked out of every school we place him in?"

I haven't seen anyone on this thread advocating that you should keep having babies knowing you can't feed them but you can't always plan for life. It sometimes throws you a curve ball and it's nice to know that we're in a country that will help you maintain while you reposition yourself.
Apparently it doesn't matter. You are an outlier. An exception to the norm. You are the few that don't matter against the burden of the many. According to the OP while you may have done everything right.....you did everything wrong. Too bad for you and your family.

You should be prepared for everything. Why don't you have millions in savings? Why didn't you purchase multiple insurance policies at 18 or invest in Microsoft or Apple when they first went public? What where you thinking???

/s

Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,915,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
In 2011, approximately 8.9 MILLION families received WIC assistance.

WIC is intended to help pregnant, postpartum, breastfeeding women, infants, and children up to age 5.

The following foods are available to assisted families:

Frequently Asked Questions

Common sense and personal responsibility dictates that you do NOT have children when you can't afford the most basic necessities, such as food. We're not talking hi-tech nurseries, the lastest stroller, or name-brand diapers. We're talking FOOD!!

Someone, anyone tell me: How can 8.9 million people (men and women) be so amazingly irresponsible to bring children in the world and then have to immediately get in line for FOOD assistance??!

Abortion is not the answer either, for the obtuse who might spew pro-abortion tripe. We're talking about NOT creating the child in the first place.

This is the height of Personal Irresponsibility in America. And it's disgusting!
Quote:
When my tax dollars are involved, I have a say in the matter. When the decay of the nation is at stake, I have a say in the matter. I'm sorry you don't quite get that.
I am not a protractor of entitlements at all.....not because my tax dollars are involved...let's face it... the percentage of our tax dollars that count against the allocation of national entitlements, per individual, is very trivial.

OK, there are different dynamics..but when speaking of WIC and TANF it is marginal when you are speaking per contributor. You're literally using pennies to prescribe your personal philosophy.

My main reservation of entitlements is that it disincentivizes people into developing a nature of self-help. Most people are in denial about it because they are so desensitized to it they don't even know how dependent they are.

But the "tax payer" argument, in instances like these, are just masks for deeper rooted agendas, IMO.

Do I agree with the lack of judgment used by unfit parents? No, of course not. But I know these children didn't ask to be born. It's important to remember that not all, and possibly even the greater share, of welfare and assistance recipients might be raising their children to not have to rely on entitlements like they did...

Old 02-27-2012, 09:27 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,918,782 times
You are asking a question that doesn't make any sense.
Human beings will procreate, period.
Every country has people who have children every year, despite money.
That is the nature of humans.
I know you are probably male, but just think a little bit before you
ask such a stupid question.
Humans procreate because it's called the birds and the bees.
If all our parents were practicing your "personal responsibility"
most of us on this board WOULDN"T BE HERE!
Nuf said.
Feed the babies.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:30 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
You may be right, Ceece, but with all due respect, you live in the Bay Area ... hardly an objective vantage point from which to comment on this topic.
Oh, ANOTHER "you live there so..." comment. Are you the one making them all? I've seem like 5 in the last 2 days. All of them about CA and The Bay Area specifically.

People are people WP..no matter where they live. There are liberals ON YOUR STREET! And conservatives on mine.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:32 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
You are asking a question that doesn't make any sense.
Human beings will procreate, period.
Every country has people who have children every year, despite money.
That is the nature of humans.
I know you are probably male, but just think a little bit before you
ask such a stupid question.
Humans procreate because it's called the birds and the bees.
If all our parents were practicing your "personal responsibility"
most of us on this board WOULDN"T BE HERE!
Nuf said.
Feed the babies.
Huh? How does any of this correlate with personal responsibility and not having children before you can feed them?

No one is saying don't have sex. It's too deep in the thread to for me to have to explain this YET AGAIN.

Read up.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
Holy crap Aero. You are still going at it in this thread....my god...you bored?
I'm an extreme multi-tasker. Ask anyone who knows me! It helps that I have my Ipad/Tablet/Laptop/Phone with me wherever I go on this planet.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 PM

840 posts, read 781,785 times
Quote:
I'm an extreme multi-tasker. Ask anyone who knows me! It helps that I have my Ipad/Tablet/Laptop/Phone with me wherever I go on this planet.
Sheesh. You must be. A thread couldn't keep my attention long enough...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies