Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 12:20 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,955,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
The village idiot DID leave the White House on January 20, 2009. He left a big mess for Obama to clean up. Not everyone who makes less money than you is lazy and smoking pot, either. Spending taxes is all about helping out you, me, and our fellow citizens. Hence, the expression "We the people" in the Constitution. Just so you know, the unemployment rate is lower than it's been in two years while the stock market is better than it's been in four. It appears you're either misinformed, or you haven't been keeping up. As far as American's being given the most in the world, that may have been true at one time but not anymore. When you say you want the government to protect you, do you mean all your financial assets and your accounts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 12:22 PM

758 posts, read 591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Gotta love the Occupy folks. Watching them go round and round is so entertaining. Looking forward to some more public displays of sheer ignorance once the weather warms up.
So you would rather them perpetuate the cycle of Laissez-faire policies and deregulate everything so that banks and corporations can commandeer all the resources and leave the rest of us to fend for ourselves like animals?

Old 03-10-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The cost of education goes up and up and the quality of education goes down and down. There is no correlation between money spent and how well children learn.

I would much rather see school systems taking some initiative to develop effective programs. Education is one of the few facets of society where they can hold out their hands and demand more and more and more money and be perfectly ok with having nothing to show for it.

I totally agree with Yooperkat. Cut programs that do not work, reduce spending, cut taxes and demand ACCOUNTABILITY by all school districts for every penny they spend. Get rid of the stupid "touchy feely" classes and replace them with things like reading, writing and 'rithmatic. And while you're at it, get rid of the superfluous tech classes (come on *every* kid knows how to operate a computer these days).

20yrsinBranson
While we're at it, maybe they should cut corporate handouts and cut laissez-faire since the latter has been proven ineffective. As I explained before, the money isn't being dispersed properly in the school system when too much of it goes to administration. No Child Left Behind doesn't work. Also, they should build more schools and cut down on classroom sizes.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:25 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
So you would rather them perpetuate the cycle of Laissez-faire policies and deregulate everything so that banks and corporations can commandeer all the resources and leave the rest of us to fend for ourselves like animals?
We have government regulation and in case you dont get the newspaper on your planet its been a failure.
Sounds like you are advocating for even more
How many layers are needed?

Old 03-10-2012, 12:26 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,955,586 times
Quote:
Perhaps you need to ask the Commander and Chief the same question.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:26 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,484,248 times
Quote:
OK, so you're another Progressive activist.

Well, I guess you can't do any damage to the country sitting in front of your computer...........preaching whatever you're preaching.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Quote:
People say they want our schools to improve everywhere I go and look. They petition for better health care and better roads. Many desire universal medicare because we've seen the faults in the regular system. Teachers, police officers, firefighters, social workers, military personnel, and government workers all demand higher salaries. Countless Americans crave these amenities, yet nobody wants to pay the tax dollars to support them. Isn't that ironic how so many want these services without their taxes raised?

How else do you think they'll come about? Do you honestly think Bill Gates, Ted Turner, Donald Trump, or Rupert Murdoch will spend their earnings to support these programs? Isn't it ironic how few and far between Americans are willing to pitch in? Further, I hear them harp about taxes in Europe and Canada being sky high. Newsflash, everybody! Those nations have superior medicare and education compared to ours. It's amazing how they've managed to prolong and improve their compatibility after their economies were destroyed during World War II. Has anyone else taken note of how many Americans want a deal for nothing?
One might wantr to look at the condions that even paying what they do in taxes the euroepans are facing. Only economiies like Geramn who made alot of cuts i teh 90's and have most the growth from exprotig to others is sound now. What it shows si that people generally want more than they pay for i the end and the wants goes on forever if allowed.All one had to do is watch when the new healthcare bill was i senate committee to see that unions and other gropus made sure they di not come under most of its cost terms. No nation pools;and free ehalthcare by employers not seen as income. Then look further at the finacing shows it starts with 500 billio over tewn eyars in cuts to medicare.We see what the so called safety net has donw to Greece and its GDP and competitiveness i the markets. Other euroipoea countries have already taken the hint and started cuts.To every thing there are reprecussions.Greece hasn't even started to see the ones from living o borrowed money to fiance benefits and even thsi country will see the consequences of our spending in future.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:37 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Quote:
Actually we've been cutting money from education for years and pouring it into defense. That all started under Reagan. Many schools in inner cities are way underfunded which is one of many reasons why they're turning into dropout factories. Texas has laid off hundreds of thousands of teachers due to them cutting back on education.
Actually someone needs to educate themselves. Spending on K-12 education has roughly tripled (inflation adjusted) since 1970. While test scores have declined. The US spends more per student on education than any of the 180 or so nations, with the sole exception of Switzerland.

Losing the Brains Race - Reason Magazine

Old 03-10-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
We have government regulation and in case you dont get the newspaper on your planet its been a failure.
Sounds like you are advocating for even more
How many layers are needed?
We don't have enough government regulation because the laws are toothless. You cannot have limited government in a country with over 310 million people when that same nation is the breadbasket of the global economy. The idea may sound nice on paper, but it's neither feasible nor practical in reality. We're no longer settlers out on the frontier, and times have changed since our forefathers who also owned slaves were in power. I don't read any newspapers anymore because they're becoming obsolete. All the major networks and local ones have websites now.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Perhaps you need to ask the Commander and Chief the same question.
I would've loved to ask George W. Bush that many times, but he'd never listen. Also, I was in the military during his first term and unable to object or question any of his policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies