Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 07:28 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I thought he was with his father or family at the apartment complex. His girlfriend was on the phone with him at the time.

How could they not know for 3 days ?
i don't think b&p is well informed on this - according to the timelines i have seen, the cops publically announced the names of both the victim and shooter the very next day.

Quote:
Feb. 26

Police are called to 1231 Twin Trees Lane, Sanford, after a report of shots fired. They arrive to find Trayvon Martin, 17, shot dead. A press release that night says that "there was an altercation between the two males and shots were fired." George Zimmerman, though not named, is referred to as a "suspect."

Feb. 27

A police spokesman publicly identifies Trayvon and Zimmerman, who is referred to as "the man who fired the gun."

Trayvon Martin shooting timeline: A timeline of the events surrounding the fatal shooting of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin by neighborhood-watch volunteer George Zimmerman - Orlando Sentinel

Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
"Many like me..."

Please...tell me....What am I like??

Just because you are distrusting of a group of people don't try to prescribe that way of thinking to me....

Sorry that I recognize that a verdict and trial doesn't conclude in a news outlet...Or by a clear biased account....

The man is due a fair trial, period.

Secondly, did the local PD drop the ball in regards to arrest? Yes, they have.

Law enforcement not doing their job efficiently......This is not news to me.

And while we are at it...since you are gifted at making a sweeping analysis of ones true disposition...Here is MY encapsulation of you. You are no different than the midwest trash that you accuse of bigotry simply because they don't know any better. You live in your own deluded world...You think everywhere in the US is like the deep south.
There are only three geographic regions in this country. Down South, Up South, and Out South.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
No because they weren't burglarizing homes in that development. Why is that difficult for you to grasp?
Who is "they?" Trayvon Martin didn't burglarize anyone's house. So I assume that you'd be OK with someone treating you - or your younger brother - in the same manner that Zimmerman treated Trayvon because profiling based on race and appearance is just OK and hunky dory..........

Old 03-21-2012, 07:37 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Of course none of it is acceptable, so why is the "black community" all up in arms about this story when 17 year old black kids die from gunshot wounds every day around this country at the hands of other black people and you never hear about it...

When was the last time you saw a drive by shooting on the evening national news? When did the FBI and DOJ get involved?
um, possibly because the boy was killed BECAUSE of his race and no other reason, also because the police department refused to even arrest someone who murdered him in cold blood and has yet to even still arrest him.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:43 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
That's why you call the police. And if the police don't react in a timely manner, take it up with them. Unless this kid was threatening you with a weapon, shooting him was excessive force. You can't shoot people for being in your neighborhood, even if they were breaking into houses. That's called vigilante justice.
I agree this guy over reacted, especially with the police on the way and the young man being unarmed.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:46 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
If you think pedo's don't exist or aren't real common in the black community, think again. Most of it goes unreported and for some reason is ignored or accepted for the most part.
Here is a good article on a quick google search........(short article and survey)
Survey on Sexual Abuse of Children in the Black Community - Surviving Dating! : Surviving Dating!

I would like to know why every time it is mentioned about problems in the black community, you shift the subject to white pedofiles? This just tells me you know there are major issues in the black community but want to ignore or turn a blind eye. If you want to bring up stats, why not this... Black murderers make up 50% of murder cases.
the black population is at about 14%.
This shows that if you are black, you are more likely to be a murderer.
Actually what I'm doing is highlighting hypocrisy. If your own "community" has faults, deal with those before you worry about anyone else's.

re: arrest percentages. They tell me nothing. This case is a PERFECT example of white murderers being allowed to go free. I would guess that there are MANY crimes in which whites are the perps, but they aren't arrested. I think you know this too.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Quote:
I don't think this has any place in this thread.
It is not okay to kill someone because some other people of the same race commit crimes. This thread is about Trayvon Martin who was killed with a bag of skittles and an Arizona iced tea in his pocket, not about the disproportionate amount of crimes committed by black males or black children born out of wedlock. However, if you don't think that racism and this history of race relations in this country has anything to do with those factors, then you must think it is genetic and if this were the case, it is not only blacks in America who have this issue, it would be those of us in Africa too. Either way I think this is a different topic for a different thread.

It was actually Zimmerman who had a criminal record in this case, not Martin. You want people to judge you as an individual, correct? Or are you okay with being lumped in with the stereotyped version of black males as thugs? This boy wasn't a thug. Neither are my sons or my father. This child was an A and B student whose father was in his life. Children raised out of wedlock and criminals have nothing to do with this case.
May be not, but realistically speaking, it is the main reason young black males are singled out for possible criminal activity, sad but true.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:49 AM

Here on C-D, threads often pop up that talk about flash mobs, black teens assaulting whites and just the general bad state of black America. Folks ask “What’s wrong in the black community?”, “What can be done?”, and “Where are the fathers?”.

You often get folks in the thread who defend these young boys and they talk about the socio-economic powerlessness that exists among young black men. They talk about how the first impression of a black man is negative rather than positive. To be seen as “good”, he has to prove himself first. The social climb of a young black man (especially if he’s poor), will ALWAYS start at the very bottom.

These thread-starters (whose main objective is race-baiting rather than information) often respond that these “excuses” are cop-outs. There is the insinuation that there is a genetic predisposition to being violent thugs.

The case of Trayvon Martin highlights WHY young black men often go astray. Even doing good, they are seem as bad. Young Trayvon luckily had a support system in place to keep him on a positive path. He had a positive male influence in his life and, as such, had no need to find the definition of masculinity in all the wrong places. This is sadly not an option for every young black boy growing up.

Many of these boys are watching this case. Their sense of powerlessness is being reinforced. And they are learning their true value in society’s eyes.

As e.c. said. NO POWER=NO JUSTICE

Old 03-21-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
The truth hurts, doesn't it?

Again, what are white men doing to stem the occurrences of child sexual abuse (often accompanied by murder) within its community?
See this post... #589

Old 03-21-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
See this post... #589
The pedophilia discussion is now over...sorry you missed it.

Do you wish to discuss the facts of Trayvon's case? If not, feel free to start a thread on pedophilia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies