Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 07:47 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
It can aslo be said, Most Americans could not afford a major financial set back of ANY kind.

Very, very few have enough to last 6 months if they lost their wages.
That's why we have unemployment insurance -- which is mandated, except we call it a tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 07:48 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
They do. We're talking about products that people are asked or promoted to buy. Are we supposed to be picky about products? Or, can we discuss them all?

Should we? Or, should we not? Tell me.
Asked or promoted is not the same as forced.

As far as making the distinction, I'll just ask you to reference your own posts in the past about a difference between a means and an item. Apparently, you saw the difference in that thread.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:00 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,093,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
All I have to say is.... WOW!!!!

This coming from a Supreme Court Justice.

You can blame Reagan then.

Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-30-2012, 08:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That's why we have unemployment insurance -- which is mandated, except we call it a tax.

Mandated to who?

I have never paid unemployment tax. I don't intend to start now, either.
Same goes for Social Security.

You may pay it against your will, but I get a choice to not pay it. I'm not an employee and a slave to the feds.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:01 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,093,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Exactly. Everyone should have skin in the game. Everyone.

Didn't know you were for a single payer system.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:12 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
All I have to say is.... WOW!!!!

This coming from a Supreme Court Justice.
I heard that, and it is stunning, but that sums up the self anointed masterminds on the left.

Since they think buying health insurance is the only way to pay for health care, then they want to use the power of government to force us all to do it their way.

Since they think the only way to lower health care costs is for everyone to buy health care insurance, then they want to use the power of government to force us all to do it their way.

Solar panels are expensive, and the people are entering the market to buy them, in a vain attempt to save the planet from global warming. “People who don’t participate in this market are making it much more expensive for the people who do" So obviously, we need to have government step in and force all of us to put roof-top solar arrays on our homes and businesses.

For that matter, meat is expensive, and the vegetarians are causing MY meat prices to go up because they are not engaged in the red meat market!! Time to force them to start subsidizing the meat market.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:15 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Mandated to who?

I have never paid unemployment tax. I don't intend to start now, either.
Same goes for Social Security.

You may pay it against your will, but I get a choice to not pay it. I'm not an employee and a slave to the feds.
Mandated if you are employed by someone, or if you are self employed and ever decide to hire an employee.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:21 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Mandated if you are employed by someone, or if you are self employed and ever decide to hire an employee.

Being labelled a "subcontractor" has its benefits, of economic freedom from the boot on your throat.
If I need help, they are paid cash, if it is a small job, or 1099'ed, on big projects, they are not W-2'ed

Old 03-30-2012, 08:47 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Wow? That's basic economics.

People who can't afford to go to the doctor will often go to the emergency room, the second most expensive area of the hospital in terms of direct costs. Instead of clinics or doctors offices, which are fairly cheap. If those people can't pay the money still needs to come from somewhere, by increasing prices to other patients. Those patients pay higher co-pays and premiums because of it.

A 10 year old should be able to reason through this without difficulty.

I thought you were against choices that made other people bear the cost?
That is the thing most of the nay sayers do not get, we already pay for those that are un-insured through higher costs and premiums, nomatter how many ties people point that FACT out to them. We have the most expensive healthcare systm in the world but do not have the best healthcare system in the world, that is why reform was and is needed. I ask this to those against it, if Obamacare is killed what are you planning on replacing it with, if "nothing" is your answer you will find you and your Party sitting on the curd, far too many voters demand something be done.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:58 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
I don't know, you tell me WTF is wrong with your reading comprehension. Go back and read your own post that I responded to. You made no mention of calling your insurance company until AFTER that post. So get your own facts straight about your own posts before you got insulting others' reading skills, OK?

Again, reading comprehension. Go back and read post #22. I called the insurance company to dispute it. Even thought the insurance company made the payment I wanted to know WHY wouldn't they question the amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies