Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 10:31 PM

488 posts, read 555,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
What are you saying exactly? That it was legally acceptable and not an important factor for Zimmerman to be in posession of two passports and that when he turned one over, he had the right to keep the extra one?

The only thing that is going nowhere fast will be Zimmerman within the next 48 hours.
This is something I find so confusing - people are quick to make judgements that somebody is a thug criminal based on how they look and unconfirmed internet theories, but another's blatant dishonesty has no bearing on their character or how credible their story is.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:37 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,259,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill80 View Post
This is something I find so confusing - people are quick to make judgements that somebody is a thug criminal based on how they look and unconfirmed internet theories, but another's blatant dishonesty has no bearing on their character or how credible their story is.
You are spot on with that assessment.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:28 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Totally false. He applied for the new passport in 2004. That's why his 2nd passport expires in 2014. I will try to find another source, since I already pasted a link to a TV news channel. He just found the old one when he was moving? Huh?

By the way, he DID NOT turn in the new one. He turned in the old one and kept the one that doesn't expire until 2014. I will try to find another link. That's probably why he got caught, since the old one was reported lost. I already said he could have just been under a lot of stress and made a mistake, but why did he keep 2 U.S. passports, one issued in 2002 and another issued in 2004. It's confusing, since I thought the replacement should have the same expiration date as the original which is 10 years.

HERE

and

HERE

"In court documents, State Attorney Angela B. Corey also said that Zimmerman had two passports, and the passport that he surrendered to the court at the April hearing was one that Zimmerman had reported stolen on March 8, 2004. That passport was valid until May 2012, Corey said. Zimmerman was issued a second passport on March 26, 2004, and that one is valid until 2014, she said."
Yikes. That is no bueno for Zimmerman's credibility, but I bet Corey'll have a tough time getting any of that evidence in at the actual trial. Anyone know if Zimmerman plans to testify? That would seem to me about the worst thing he could do.

I don't necessarily think the passport issue really should be given as much weight as people are giving it. Those articles provide no information about how or why Zimmerman acquired two passports. I personally am someone who loses things (thankfully not my passport), has to get them replaced, only to find the original two days later. Who's to say that didn't happen to him? If he was negligent in not returning one of them, that doesn't (at least to me) really speak to his character for honesty or veracity. Irresponsible? Sure. Dishonest? Marginally. Now if he had intentionally acquired two, thereby lying on a passport application, well that would be a different story altogether...

What I find more troubling is that his wife pretty much lied to the court about their assets to determine the bond - she said they were indigent when in fact they had $135k in assets. And it seems like Zimmerman is imputed with some misrepresentation as well here. That is something that I find speaks more to his character for honesty more than the passport incident.

Quote:
It's confusing, since I thought the replacement should have the same expiration date as the original which is 10 years.
As someone who has lost many things, I know that when you get a replacement credit card, it has a new expiration. I would think if you pay full price for a new passport, they probably treat it as a renewal, invalidating the old one and issuing a new one. I don't know for sure though.

Last edited by Bluefox; 06-01-2012 at 11:42 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 11:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I wasn't asking if he was innocent....

I was asking...was Zimmerman charged with a crime??
Yes, he was charged with 2nd degree murder, remember?

Old 06-01-2012, 11:58 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So this belongs in True Crime, no?

Old 06-02-2012, 12:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
So this belongs in True Crime, no?
I don't know how you got from Point "A" to Point "Z". There is a lot of crossover on these forums.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:17 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,314,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And wrongfully at that.

This has no bearing on the outcome of him defending himself from a thug who attacked him and beat him almost the death.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:21 AM

4,146 posts, read 2,840,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
And wrongfully at that.

This has no bearing on the outcome of him defending himself from a thug who attacked him and beat him almost the death.
I wasn't there and neither were you. You do know what they say about assumptions, right?

Old 06-02-2012, 05:47 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
And wrongfully at that.

Too bad that's not what happened.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:51 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Totally false. He applied for the new passport in 2004. That's why his 2nd passport expires in 2014. I will try to find another source, since I already pasted a link to a TV news channel. He just found the old one when he was moving? Huh?

By the way, he DID NOT turn in the new one. He turned in the old one and kept the one that doesn't expire until 2014. I will try to find another link. That's probably why he got caught, since the old one was reported lost. I already said he could have just been under a lot of stress and made a mistake, but why did he keep 2 U.S. passports, one issued in 2002 and another issued in 2004. It's confusing, since I thought the replacement should have the same expiration date as the original which is 10 years.

HERE

and

HERE

"In court documents, State Attorney Angela B. Corey also said that Zimmerman had two passports, and the passport that he surrendered to the court at the April hearing was one that Zimmerman had reported stolen on March 8, 2004. That passport was valid until May 2012, Corey said. Zimmerman was issued a second passport on March 26, 2004, and that one is valid until 2014, she said."
Both of your links are to articles by CNN Wire Staff, basically the same article. Technically, the article is accurate. "In court documents" [the motion to revoke bond] the state did claim that gz turned in the old passport. The question is whether the court docs submitted by the state are the truth.

I'd find it hilarious in a bad way if gz and his wife misled the court in the 1st bond hearing and the state misled the court in the hearing to revoke bond because of the original misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies