Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 12:32 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Reviewing what we know and listing the mistakes that have been made

Treyvon Martin made the mistake of
1) assaulting a concerned neighbor.

Corrected your mistake.

Quote:
Zimmerman will spend many months in jail awaiting trial where the percentage of black inmates is disproportionate to the general population.
Possibly if that was not a fact Martin would not have been racially profiled.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:37 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,667,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post

Corrected your mistake.

Assaulting a strange person who was following/stalking him who confronted him for no apparent reason.

Recorrected the post.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:40 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:

Corrected your mistake.

A concerned neighbor or an obsessive cop wannabe? I honestly don't think Zimmerman is a racist or even malicious. I just think he is emotionally unstable and not terribly bright. Break-ins or not, his history of over 40 calls to the police for everything from open garage doors to kids playing shows someone who is preoccupied with chasing would-be wrongdoers. Seriously, I've been on this Earth a lot longer than many people on this forum, and I've never met anyone who chased a shoplifter from a supermarket or engaged in a high speed car chase to catch an erratic driver.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
That's probably exactly what's happening.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that there has been a huge surge in donations since yesterday - all from idiots who are terrified that they're going to lose their guns.

I really believe that many/most of the Zimmerman supporters (not all) really don't give a rat's patootie about the fact that those parents lost their child, or really care anything about Zimmerman, for that matter.

What they do care about are their guns - and what effect they perceive this case will have on SYG and carrying concealed weapons everywhere they go.
I would say the Martin side has a political agenda too. Would you not agree?

Old 06-02-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
A concerned neighbor or an obsessive cop wannabe? I honestly don't think Zimmerman is a racist or even malicious. I just think he is emotionally unstable and not terribly bright. Break-ins or not, his history of over 40 calls to the police for everything from open garage doors to kids playing shows someone who is preoccupied with chasing would-be wrongdoers. Seriously, I've been on this Earth a lot longer than many people on this forum, and I've never met anyone who chased a shoplifter from a supermarket or engaged in a high speed car chase to catch an erratic driver.
He does seem to be a bit of a nutcase. I just see no crime he committed that night. Even if he initiated the physical altercation, which the preponderance of the evidence seems to show he did not, he could well be innocent under Florida law. It seems to me the first prosecutor wisely chose not to prosecute.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:50 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
One other question, and I mentioned this before who goes to Target with a loaded gun? He was not "patrolling" the area because NW rules prohibit having a gun while doing so.
When Simetime posted this, the pro-carry people talked about how normal it was to walk around in a store with families, including newborns (I've seen many in Target) with a loaded weapon. One poster even compared it to buckling your seat belt.

I just read t[URL="http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/news/state/pennsylvania/155898695.html?cmpid=15585797"]his article.[/URL] Keep in mind, this is a real cop. Thank goodness she wasn't killed. Then I read [URL="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/30/BARP1OB4PJ.DTL"]this article.[/URL] Gun accidents kill over 500 children every year in this country.
Quote:
He does seem to be a bit of a nutcase. I just see no crime he committed that night. Even if he initiated the physical altercation, which the preponderance of the evidence seems to show he did not, he could well be innocent under Florida law. It seems to me the first prosecutor wisely chose not to prosecute.
We will only find this out when there's a trial. I do not think SYG applies in his case since he left his vehicle and was following TM.

By the way, I want to add to my above comment about carrying a gun into Target, that I grew up in a house with guns, so I am not "anti-gun" which is used a lot by people who want to promote new, looser gun laws. It's like calling pro-choice people "pro-abortion."

(funny, I had to edit because I wrote "loser gun laws" instead of "looser." Maybe that was a Freudian slip. lol)

Last edited by justNancy; 06-02-2012 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: fix spelling

Old 06-02-2012, 12:52 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,667,797 times
Quote:
I would say the Martin side has a political agenda too. Would you not agree?
As for the above post, I would agree with you completely.

As for Zimmerman being just a concerned citizen, that is up for arguement. He may be a stupid concerned citizen, though.

We have neighborhood watch here in our small town. We seniors are even given last years police crusiers to ride around in and it is made very clear to all of us that our job is to"observe and report" Never, ever to confront. Zimmerman broke the first rule of a neighborhood watch captain. The result was A needless killing perpetrated by a "Stupid, Concerned Citizen"

Old 06-02-2012, 12:54 PM

17,807 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Even if he initiated the physical altercation, which the preponderance of the evidence seems to show he did not,
Exactly "what" evidence shows he didn't start it besides his own version of events?

It is apparent now that he was losing the fight but there is no evidence that he didn't, or didn't have a hand in starting the fight. And of course we don't have the other guy's side of the story.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
As for the above post, I would agree with you completely.

As for Zimmerman being just a concerned citizen, that is up for arguement. He may be a stupid concerned citizen, though.

We have neighborhood watch here in our small town. We seniors are even given last years police crusiers to ride around in and it is made very clear to all of us that our job is to"observe and report" Never, ever to confront. Zimmerman broke the first rule of a neighborhood watch captain. The result was A needless killing perpetrated by a "Stupid, Concerned Citizen"
I agree with you. What Zimmermen did was grossly stupid. If you carry you should make every effort to avoid confrontation. Kind of a good idea even if you do not.

I see civil liability but no criminal liability here.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:01 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with being aware of what's going on in your neighborhood, and with calling the police to report something out of place. Perhaps he thought the police might become more of a presence and crime would be reduced, and therefore didn't care that he was calling too often for some. And while I may not have been on this earth as long as you, I do know someone who has chased an armed robber from a store, who has confronted a man who slapped a woman in an amusement park, who has taken pictures of a break in in progress to give to the police, and who routinely stops strangers in his neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies