Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 11:01 AM

867 posts, read 498,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
No, but apparently 47% make less than the required minimum that the IRS imposes that you are required to file.

Only if they are paid by pay check. I know quite a few people that are self employed, and they never file taxes.

As for those that DO get a check, if they file they WILL get their taxes back, so they aren't really paying taxes.

Take that up with the IRS then. Seriously. Per this year's 1040 workbook: If you filing status is single then file a return if your groos income is over $9,500 (under 65) or $10,950 (over 65). OR married filing jointly $19,000(under 65), $20,150(one spouse over 65), $21,300(both over 65), OR married filing seperately $3,700 (any age), OR Head of household $12,200(under 65), $13,650(over 65), OR qualifying widow w/dependent child $15,300(under 65), $16,450 (over 65).

That's the IRS "rules" for filing requirements. Anything below those amounts, and you aren't required to file, but they reccommend that you do to get your taxes back if you have children.

Around here, you pay more on your utility bills that home owners for the school taxesif you are a renter. Not much true, but a percent or two more. (ends up being no more than $4-5/month in school tax, unless you have a CRAZY high bill!)
First of all there is a personal exemption which exempts a certain part of your income from taxation.

Then there are deduction that reduce the amount of income beyond the exemption that is subject to tax, then there are tax credits which pay the tax for you, even into negative tax territory.

Using these three mechanisms, 47% of tax filers end up paying nothing or less (get more back than they deposited).

This is not rocket science. It's DISGRACEFUL, but not rocket science.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:20 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
"Liberal" is not a political affiliation. The CBPP is not affiliated with any political party. Liberalism is an ideological position.

However, if you are trying to dismiss the CBPP's work by merely declaring it the result of liberals, you will have to point to where they were actually in error in there findings. If you can't, then you must accept the findings as valid results. As Stephen Colbert once said, "reality has a well-known liberal bias."
When you have the likes of Krugman, Biden, Oliphant and others praising it and it's findings, I certainly would NOT call them un-biased.
About Center on Budget and Policy Priorities — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Old 04-29-2012, 11:44 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
First of all there is a personal exemption which exempts a certain part of your income from taxation.

Then there are deduction that reduce the amount of income beyond the exemption that is subject to tax, then there are tax credits which pay the tax for you, even into negative tax territory.

Using these three mechanisms, 47% of tax filers end up paying nothing or less (get more back than they deposited).

This is not rocket science.
It's DISGRACEFUL, but not rocket science.
Um, who besides YOU assumed that it was?

I sure didn't(especially considering I do my own taxes as well as 6 other friends and family members taxes as well); and as a matter of fact, I was explaining to Aero that if HE didn't like that 47% ended up NOT paying taxes then maybe HE should take it up with the IRS.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:11 PM

867 posts, read 498,356 times
Quote:
Um, who besides YOU assumed that it was?

I sure didn't(especially considering I do my own taxes as well as 6 other friends and family members taxes as well); and as a matter of fact, I was explaining to Aero that if HE didn't like that 47% ended up NOT paying taxes then maybe HE should take it up with the IRS.
If the remarks don't apply to you, well, don't apply them to yourself, but others here talk as if they are completely ignorant. Perhaps they don't even file taxes.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:

This is not rocket science. It's DISGRACEFUL, but not rocket science.

For 23% the standard deduction and personal exemption are sufficient to relieve them of tax liability.

How much is their fair share of taxes?

Old 04-29-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
The figure is 47% of "TAX FILERS". The number is from the IRS.

At least SOME of these are non-breadwinners (e.g. high school kids with part-time or summer jobs and no tax liability) who are filing only to get back taxes withheld from their paychecks.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Around here, you pay more on your utility bills that home owners for the school taxesif you are a renter. Not much true, but a percent or two more. (ends up being no more than $4-5/month in school tax, unless you have a CRAZY high bill!)

Say what? Is this extra tax state, county, or local?

Old 04-29-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Let me fully explain this figure

47% of American who file tax returns pay zero or less then zero in Fed. Income Tax (IRS Figures)

Of that 47% of filers, about 80% not only pay no income tax, but get money from the fellow citizens (they get all they paid, back, plus add'l).

Some of these filers report income in excess of $50K (US).

The vehicle that results in this travesty is Earned Income Tax Credits.

These figures are released every year in Feb. by the IRS - not a secret, and no long News in Mid April.

So how many of these non-payers are getting EITC? Teens and seniors are not eligible for EITC.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:33 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,148 times
How much money do you think those people can realistically pay, OP? (When cost of living, state and local taxes, and payroll taxes are taken into account.)

Old 04-29-2012, 04:34 PM

41 posts, read 23,843 times
Its not fair. What is fair is that NO ONE should have to pay any income taxes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies