Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 03:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No, not all of us are speculating, only yourself in this case as to what was meant by "armed". Some of us actually read the linked article and its related articles; obviously, you have not.
But personwhoisaperson is right. Any crime you commit, it doesn't matter what you're armed with -- it could be a knife or a gun or other weapon -- you're still armed.

If I just happen to be holding a knife I always hold while I mug some woman and take her person, I'm armed and it doesn't matter if I say I always carry a knife. Same if I always carry a gun but then decide to commit some crime - it's going to be considered to be a crime with a weapon involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 03:54 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Soon, America will become so ridden with gun violence that even the most rabid pro-gun supporter will be forced to realize that GUNS KILL PEOPLE.

The statistics are insane and growing daily. Gun death and injury statistics are skyrocketing and soon EVERYONE in the US will know someone who has been injured, killed, or traumatized due to a crazy with a (legal) arsenal.

It is the American disease, and the worse thing is, you guys don't even know you're sick.
PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE!!!!! IT TAKES SOMEONE BEHIND THE GUN TO SHOOT IT!!!!!! ANYONE CAN KILL ANYONE WITH ANYTHING!!!!!!

In your country it is okay to trust your government enough to turn over your weapons to it.

In my country, left, right, or center, you cannot trust the government with a f***ing paper clip. Americans are fundamentally different because our country was founded on principals of personal freedom and we should have every right as American citizens to hold our government accountable and to be able to protect our lives our fortunes and our property.

If you don't live here, or have never visited, and you read statistics on gun violence please understand that unless you go to the NRA website and look at the true statistics, the numbers are sequed. They put together murder and accidents, they don't separate them.

Although I'm sure your country is great, we have the 2nd Amendment. The numbers of people, of all political affiliation, agreeing with that Amendment are on the rise.

You can't take our guns away no matter how much you want to.

Whether you believe in God or not, we still have fight or flight. That right is given to us by God, or by nature depending on what you believe in.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:21 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,770,186 times
Good grief folks, there is more to this story, than was presented in the OP.

For starters, the guys who fired the shots have CRIMINAL records themselves, namely cocaine trafficking, property theft and use of a firearm during the commission of a felony. Why did these guys have firearms?

Second, they were on an island accessible only by boat. How far were the teenagers going to go?
Look at the map gravine island alabama - Google Maps

Third, the guys doing the shooting claim they fired "warning shots" into the air, yet one of those shots ended up in the back of the skull of the girl. I don't buy that for a millisecond.

Forth, since when is shooting someone in the back while that person is running away "self defense"?

Please read a more detailed story here Two campers in Gravine Island case have criminal record; DA urges public to refrain from speculation | al.com

There are too many people on these threads running their mouths without a full and clear understanding of what actually happened.

This incident is too "fishy" for me (no pun intended).

It sounds more like a drug deal gone bad than a B & E.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:35 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,027,388 times
While I don't believe she "deserved" to get shot, my sympathy is muted by the belief that it was an easily foreseeable potential consequence of committing an act of burglary in remote rural Alabama at 4:00 a.m.

The standard of "appropriate and proportional response" is hard to apply in a situation where somebody is invading somebody else's property in the middle of the night. Split second judgements about the intentions of the invader have to be made with little sensory information to help.. Its hard to question someone's judgement who claims to feel threatened. In this case I am inclined to lean towards those who were protecting the property since they at least have a plausible argument that they were acting in good faith. There's no such argument for the 4 teens.

Furthermore, while you can argue that the shooters acted rashly, it doesn't seem to me like they were some sort of cold-blooded murders who approached the situation with the attitude "alright, here's our chance to kill someone!" The weapons they were carrying tell me that. A .177 is barely enough to kill a rabbit, and a .22 rates pretty low on the human lethality scale. These are weapons carried by light game hunters and those seeking protection-by-deterrence, not blood thirsty vigilantes.

Last edited by madpaddy; 04-21-2012 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: "rule" replaced by "standard"

Old 04-21-2012, 06:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Good grief folks, there is more to this story, than was presented in the OP.

For starters, the guys who fired the shots have CRIMINAL records themselves, namely cocaine trafficking, property theft and use of a firearm during the commission of a felony. Why did these guys have firearms?

Second, they were on an island accessible only by boat. How far were the teenagers going to go?
Look at the map gravine island alabama - Google Maps

Third, the guys doing the shooting claim they fired "warning shots" into the air, yet one of those shots ended up in the back of the skull of the girl. I don't buy that for a millisecond.

Forth, since when is shooting someone in the back while that person is running away "self defense"?

Please read a more detailed story here Two campers in Gravine Island case have criminal record; DA urges public to refrain from speculation | al.com

There are too many people on these threads running their mouths without a full and clear understanding of what actually happened.

This incident is too "fishy" for me (no pun intended).

It sounds more like a drug deal gone bad than a B & E.
That does make it sound like a drug deal gone bad. Or some drug addicts deciding to rob their drug dealers of some of that cocaine at 4:00 am.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:57 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actions have consequences, if you are breaking the law, you tend to get what you deserve.

thats a pretty vague statement,, if one runs a red light or parks in the wrong parking space should he or she get shot in the back of the head??

Old 04-22-2012, 05:25 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Burglary has its risks.
ocupational hazard

Old 04-22-2012, 08:07 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
For the sake of disclosure, Summer Moody was shot above the left ear with the bullet exiting above the right ear. So apparently not in the back. Not that that should make a difference.

The shooting was not justified.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:58 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
LOL.

Another criminal gets killed (hopefully) and the Left Wingers are outraged. She was 17, what is the homeowner supposed to check the ID before defending himself?

If you moonbat left-wingers spent half of your angst for criminal rights on real issues, the world would be a better place.
Homeowner? Wow, what are you smoking?

Old 04-22-2012, 11:08 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,770,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That does make it sound like a drug deal gone bad. Or some drug addicts deciding to rob their drug dealers of some of that cocaine at 4:00 am.
Exactly.

Drug dealers rip off drug addicts and drug addicts try to rip off drug dealers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies