Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 09:12 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,640,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
WTH? Since SS was enacted, every generation has paid for the previous one's retirement. What a cockamamie idea, that people in a 15 year span should just up and give up their SS for, what, exactly? And how would this help our kids? They'd have to help support us, like in the old days before SS. You may not be aware of this, in your arrogance, but YOUR parents made some sacrifices for you, too.

I can't believe you're serious about this!
I know it sounds RIDICULOUS to a boom to imagine forgoing something for another person, but yes, I'd like to see some leadership from boomers on this matter. I'd like for them to step up and own up to the fact that the bank was giving away on their watch, and now it's up to them to make some hard choices for future Americans. I know it seems perfectly reasonable to booms for those of us in their 30s and younger to pay for them and then not get it ourselves, but when the shoe is on the other foot .. and it's them paying for it with no pay-out they go .

Why is the idea of us paying for you and receiving nothing ourselves perfectly acceptable, booms? Why not take some of the burden upon yourselves, since you are the ones who broke the system in the first place? Oh, I remember .. because you lot are a bunch of spoiled brats who never learned what it meant to be a mature adult who knows how to lead and take ownership and responsibility.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:15 AM

3,526 posts, read 3,730,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
So I guess you missed the part about two and three jobs... those 16 hour days were at different jobs - or, ultimately - at my own business.
Try re-checking what I highlighted in blue again. I am not disagreeing, but the standard wisdom isn't even to work, it's to take a certain route that leads to one job, years in the future, with the large salary. As far as starting your own business, it's not that simple. We're going increasingly cashless and in order to get the necessary electronic equipment to run your business effectively, you need start-up capital. That means debt. And you can't just set up a lemonade stand on the corner sidewalk either. You would probably have to get a permit or something. We don't live on farms anymore and so the work ethic isn't built-in in that respect like it used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Those words will never be cool again - it's all about what everyone "owes" everyone else.

Please stop scaring me. Although, there was a man who could change things around, but the media didn't want him elected and never gave him any coverage.
It's okay. I'm going to write him in.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I know it sounds RIDICULOUS to a boom to imagine forgoing something for another person, but yes, I'd like to see some leadership from boomers on this matter. I'd like for them to step up and own up to the fact that the bank was giving away on their watch, and now it's up to them to make some hard choices for future Americans. I know it seems perfectly reasonable to booms for those of us in their 30s and younger to pay for them and then not get it ourselves, but when the shoe is on the other foot .. and it's them paying for it with no pay-out they go .

Why is the idea of us paying for you and receiving nothing ourselves perfectly acceptable, booms? Why not take some of the burden upon yourselves, since you are the ones who broke the system in the first place? Oh, I remember .. because you lot are a bunch of spoiled brats who never learned what it meant to be a mature adult who knows how to lead and take ownership and responsibility.
Quit whining! No one in their right mind would suggest such a plan.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Quit whining! No one in their right mind would suggest such a plan.
Yet this is exactly the "plan" (I realize booms don't really plan) the booms have put in place for future generations of Americans. Now are you starting to see why booms are not that all well liked?

Old 05-27-2012, 09:53 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Baby Boomers were given a great country on a silver platter by the generation that birthed them. They could've worked and afford school at the same time. They grew up in the most prosperous era in US history. Most Baby Boomers could've owned their own homes and cars without any type of education. Can millenials do that? It's impossible. Baby Boomers are by far the most entitled generation in US history. However, they made things worse for their children's generation.
Absolutely.

All they have to do is put down their cell phones, turn off their computer games, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook, get out of their leased Lexuses, and actually put in a day's work in an area not already owned by the wealthy. Are there such places in America? Umm, yep. Most of America, in fact.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:15 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
Quote:

Seriously, you really shouldn't include the entire generation of Boomers in your statement. And the name calling isn't all that mature, either.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:03 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Now are you starting to see why booms are not that all well liked?
I was discussing this with a bunch of Boomers yesterday.

We all agreed that the attitude of "hate the Boomer" comes from people who hate their own parents (my theory) or people who wouldn't be happy if they were the proverbial pig in slop.

We polled some non-Boomers. You'll be shocked to learn not everyone shares your attitude.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I was discussing this with a bunch of Boomers yesterday.

We all agreed that the attitude of "hate the Boomer" comes from people who hate their own parents (my theory) or people who wouldn't be happy if they were the proverbial pig in slop.

We polled some non-Boomers. You'll be shocked to learn not everyone shares your attitude.
I come across as quite caustic in this thread, Dew, but I'm not. I'm actually quite satisfied with my life, and I don't hate my parents, both of whom died when I was young. My dad was a member of the Silent Generation, but my mom was a boomer -- born in 1946.

There are actually a lot of things I like about the booms, but this Social Security issue is very, very unfair. When I propose that Boomers should just eat it (and take nothing) it sounds outrageous, doesn't it? Yet, this is exactly what is being asked of my generation. Most of us are too young and not quite saavy enough to be tracking exactly what is happening, but those of us who are are more than a little miffed. Surely you can understand, can't you? Imagine if there was actually a law on the books stating that no one born between 1945 and 1964 was going to get Social Security. You think boomers (who are still the folks who are in power) would get much more serious about fixing the problem? I do.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
I come across as quite caustic in this thread, Dew, but I'm not. I'm actually quite satisfied with my life, and I don't hate my parents, both of whom died when I was young. My dad was a member of the Silent Generation, but my mom was a boomer -- born in 1946.

There are actually a lot of things I like about the booms, but this Social Security issue is very, very unfair. When I propose that Boomers should just eat it (and take nothing) it sounds outrageous, doesn't it? Yet, this is exactly what is being asked of my generation. Most of us are too young and not quite saavy enough to be tracking exactly what is happening, but those of us who are are more than a little miffed. Surely you can understand, can't you? Imagine if there was actually a law on the books stating that no one born between 1945 and 1964 was going to get Social Security. You think boomers (who are still the folks who are in power) would get much more serious about fixing the problem? I do.
Thanks for clarifying. It's appreciated. (I like to understand where people are coming from.)

One of the things we were talking about was how little power we actually had as a group. Most of the Boomers in power were some of the first Boomers. We are younger than that group. We started naming the people who screwed things up and all of them are/were older than any of us.

THAT's one of the reasons Boomers don't like to be lumped together. (And yes, I do think things are screwed up. I just don't like to be blamed for it. And I definitely don't think Boomers had it easier than Milenialls.)

Now if Boomers give up their SS how are they going to support themselves? As it is SS won't fully fund retirement. And I keep reading on this thread how Boomers are taking jobs away from Milenialls so they should stop working. How are Boomers supposed to pay the bills?

BTW: When I got out of college and started working full time SS was already screwed up. Thirty years ago they were already saying the system would be broke. I figured I was paying into the system for my grandparent's benefit. Oddly enough, I accepted that. Does your generation have that attitude or do you want to take away our SS so YOU will have it? I suspect the latter from your posts.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:12 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,399 times
Just for the sake of discussion, I don't even think all millenials can even be catagorized as the same bunch. I mean technically I was in college in the late 90s early 2000s, and back then things weren't nearly as dismel as they are today. Pre-911, they were just fine in fact. Most of the people from my years are locked in jobs, married etc. But the kids who entered college and the work force around 2008 or so will have a tougher time than those who were coming of age around the turn of the century. I mean the kids today are completely governed by social media, bad housing prices, and college degrees that don't pay off. From what I can recall, those things weren't really issues around the late 90s and the year 2000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies