Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 10:24 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,526,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
I see two issues in this thread;

1) Should gays have the right to legally marry

2) Is Obama's "Evolution" just political opportunism

I say yes on both.

I just can't get over how silly Obama supporters look here trying to convince us that his "evolution" wasn't for political reasons. I mean come on! LOL
Obama is ahead over Romney in the polls. He didn't have to risk his lead by declaring support for gay marriage. He can just cruise to re-election if he wants to. Not that supporting gay marriage weakens him (it shows moral courage and leadership)....I think he'll still win. But it merely introduces an element of uncertainty to the contest. So to say that this is political opportunism is nonsense, since Obama has little to gain from it.

12,262 posts, read 24,470,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
The real illusion is that you think your vote matters, and that it will make one bit of difference in your life.

It's all calculated to continue the mirage of freedom.

What do you care if you have a piece of paper from a gov't entity.

Your love should not be based on political agenda's.
That is a different debate.

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Definitely flip-flopping. Obama is trying to shore his base up, trying to get support he lost since 2008. Obama is a snake oil salesman, just like Romney, who will say anything to get votes, and tailor his message to the audience sitting in front of him.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:28 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,411,375 times
Both Obama & Romney will say (and be) anything they need to say (or be) in order to win. Romney said that he would do more for Gay rights than Ted Kennedy when he was posing as a moderate. Now, he is posing as a conservative and he is against it. Obama courted the gay community for the vote, then (when he had it) he went silent on the issue. Now, his hand has been forced. Both are political chameleons.

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
That is exactly why none of this belongs at the federal level, which besides
things like DOMA, includes ALL of it.
None of the marriage talk belongs
at the federal level, no matter which side one is one...

Set aside, Obama's personal opinion is really irrelevant to the
facts.

Our federal government does not have the authority to define, license or
restrict personal relationships.

If these are the type of issues folks are electing the President on ...

So what is the solution? States can "decide for themselves"? FINE! I'm actually Ok with that... so long as if a gay couple who marries in New York can move to North Carolina, and then have their marriage recognized by the state and have all the rights and responsibilities that other married couples have in North Crolina.

If the issue is "we don't want to have to issue marriage licenses to same sex partners"... then go for it.

This is why in the end, the Supreme Court is going to have to get involved. It's also why, in the end, gay marriage foes will lose.

10,854 posts, read 9,306,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
He must be cocksure he has the black and Hispanic vote tied up. The majority of them are against gay marriage so he must think they will vote for him anyway. He may get a big surprise come Nov.
You're totally WRONG about the Hispanic vote on this issue. Whatever he loses among the Black vote will be made up by independents and moderates where the approval rates of same sex marriage is much higher.

Most Say Homosexuality Should Be Accepted By Society

Quote:
Gay Issues Still Politically Divisive

Majorities across most demographic groups say that homosexuality should be accepted by society. But there are wide political and religious differences in opinions on this measure. Two-thirds of Democrats (67%) and 63% of independents say that homosexuality should be accepted, compared with 40% of Republicans.

Among religious groups, substantial majorities of the religiously unaffiliated (79%), white Catholics (66%) and white mainline Protestants (65%) say that homosexuality should be accepted. However, just 29% of white evangelical Protestants agree, while more than twice as many (63%) say homosexuality should be discouraged by society.

There also are gender and racial differences: More women than men favor societal acceptance of homosexuality (64% vs. 52%). Hispanics (64%) and whites (58%) are more supportive of this than are African Americans (49%).

Old 05-10-2012, 10:30 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,680,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Definitely flip-flopping. Obama is trying to shore his base up, trying to get support he lost since 2008. Obama is a snake oil salesman, just like Romney, who will say anything to get votes, and tailor his message to the audience sitting in front of him.
Amen 100+%.

I don't think Romney even knows what gay marriage is. Obama is the worse of the 2, though.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,173,002 times
Obama desperately needs money for his campaign and this was what he had to do to get it. Now whether that translates into votes is another matter. He probably just cut his nose off to spite his face. It more than likely lost him several key swing states. He is giving a glimpse of his second term and what will happen if he is re-elected as far as showing his true colors on his stance on issues.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
ITA. Most black people are against homosexuality and believe that it is wrong. Given the churches that he has attended. I am willing to bet the balance of my bank account that Obama DOES NOT support gay marriage. It's all about the votes. You took the words out of my mouth . . . .mind reader
This is the same president who repeal "Don't Ask Don't Tell" and he's the first sitting president to say "I think gay Americans should have the right to get married".

Would you mind explaining to me LOGICALLY how this does not equate to him being an advocate for civil rights for ALL AMERICANS regardless of sexual orientation?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Obama just lost the election.
President Obama just won over a significant portion of moderate and independent voters.

The people that are against same sex marriage were not going to vote for him anyway. The people who will change their vote on this single issue will be more than made up for by the voters he wins over.

Best of all he's painted Mitt Romney in a corner as a social conservative. Mitt Romney can't move toward the center on this or any other social issue without losing his base. Yet he won't be able to get traction with independent voters who happen to approve of legalizing same sex marriage by a 57% margin.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies