Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 03:20 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Just wondering........... is there any other book as old as the Bible that discuss marriage? What marriage is to be like?
Marriage (as we know it) is a modern concept, so I don't even think it's in the Christian Bible - let alone the Hebrew Bible on which it was based. So I'm really not sure why people keep bringing religion into the debate, especially when we have no official religion in this country!

Old 05-10-2012, 03:25 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,685,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Answer me this liberals, when is your boy Obama going to stop being a fraud and acting like he supports the defence of marriage act, when he really supports gay marriage. Two people in his administration(Biden and Arne Duncan) have already come out in support. So is he just a coward, worried he'll **** off all the black and swing state voters? Or is he just playing politics like he did with the keystone pipeline?
Obama has flipped and lopped, flopped and flipped, flipped and flapped on the issue of gay marriage, with public statements in 1996- he was for it, 1998 – he was open to it, 2004- was against it, 2006- again, open to it, 2007 was against it, 2008 – against it, and now he is for it again.

The man has spent over 15 years of his adult life, dithering on gay marriage. Apparently the reason for Obama’s newest flip is that his children are too young to understand what marriage is about, so he is deferring to their child-like views of the world to make his decision for him?

It's not like Obama's deeply held core, principled beliefs suddenly changed...again, his reason for changing his position on gay marriage is a fleeting one at best. So what happens when his daughters do grow up out of adolescence, and think for themselves, and choose to oppose gay marriage, will Obama flip back again?

I ask you, where the hell is there even a glimmer of leadership in this man?

Old 05-10-2012, 03:26 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Just wondering........... is there any other book as old as the Bible that discuss marriage? What marriage is to be like?
Code of Hammurabi is much older than the Laws of Moses. I'm sure there are some written Egyptian and Chinese texts as well.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:30 PM

33,572 posts, read 18,177,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Do you ever get sick of regurgitating this nonsense, and have you still not learned that we don't live in a Christian theocracy? You even say it right in this post, so why do you still feel laws should be based on only YOUR beliefs?

Earth to Taratova: If marriage was all based on G-d and Christianity, Atheists and people of other religions (like myself) shouldn't be allowed to marry either. Do you support banning non-Christian/church marriages? If not, you are a gigantic and very confused hypocrite.
Why do gays insist on taking the term marriage.. what is wrong with civil union? The gays are the ones who are not satified with the term civil union.

We Christians know that the term marriage is only for one man and one woman.

It is God's definition of the word marriage that the gays are trampling on. But God knows who respects his definition and who does not.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:31 PM

Thanks to those who posted links above, regarding marriage in Greek and Asian cultures... I'll have to read them later (since my lunch break is almost over), but I'm sure it will be interesting stuff!

Old 05-10-2012, 03:33 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,685,403 times
Quote:
Marriage (as we know it) is a modern concept, so I don't even think it's in the Christian Bible - let alone the Hebrew Bible on which it was based. So I'm really not sure why people keep bringing religion into the debate, especially when we have no official religion in this country!
We do not need religion to tell us what would happen if the vast majority of people never bothered to get married anymore, we know what would happen, we'd have tens of millions of single parents struggling to raise bastard children on their own, and they'd be falling back heavily on taxpayer funded social and family welfare programs.

Marriage is about one thing, and one thing only, as the single best institution to raise, care for and create the next generation of citizens.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:33 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,987,613 times
Quote:
You've never read the KJV bible?

Marriage is spoken of 19 times.

Here is one of them.

Hbr 13:4 Marriage [is] honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:34 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,610,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Code of Hammurabi is much older than the Laws of Moses. I'm sure there are some written Egyptian and Chinese texts as well.
So, we going with the rest that's listed? LOL Dang, I'd say we've flip flopped a long way........I'm really happy about it.
Glad people can change their minds, and laws. Progression is such a nice thing.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:35 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,987,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
So, we going with the rest that's listed? LOL Dang, I'd say we've flip flopped a long way........I'm really happy about it.
Glad people can change their minds, and laws. Progression is such a nice thing.
It's Evolution, not progression.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Why do gays insist on taking the term marriage.. what is wrong with civil union? The gays are the ones who are not satified with the term civil union.
What's wrong with being a second-class citizen, or with the BS concept of "separate but equal?" I dunno, why don't you get a time machine and ask some minorities and women from our past. If the US was declared a Jewish country tomorrow, would you be okay with Christian marriages being assigned a different name and not including all the rights of a Jewish marriage? Methinks you would not.

If civil unions came with all benefits of MARRIAGE it might not be an unreasonable suggestion... but as the law stands now, civil unions and domestic partnerships lack many of the same rights & benefits. FYI, it's not just the gays who aren't okay with that idea - as I and many other straight folks find that unacceptable too.

Quote:
We Christians know that the term marriage is only for one man and one woman.

It is God's definition of the word marriage that the gays are trampling on. But God knows who respects his definition and who does not.
G-d never defined modern marriage, and even modern marriage has already been redefined many times since your Bible (and this country) was created. Do we follow the laws of the Bible and early America - I.e. women being a man's property, marrying your dead husband's brother, trading dowry and arranging marriages for our children, keeping women in separate housing during menstruation, etc? If not, then your argument is moot.

And again I ask, why are you okay with non-Christians marrying if this concept & law is supposedly defined by your Bible alone? Hypocritical and contradictory position you have, to say the least.

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-10-2012 at 03:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies