Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 07:11 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If you never question yourself at any point in life, I will say again that's a sign of extreme stubbornness - or you're just a very arrogant person, who mistakenly believes you are perfect (which nobody is). There are some personal beliefs I expect not to change much, if at all, but even those should be evaluated through self-analysis from time to time. Are you saying your views on everything about the world and life haven't budged since childhood?

As I said earlier in the thread, even my incredibly hard-headed 95yo grandmother has altered some of her views (mostly regarding other races & religions) in recent years. So if a woman her age can shift perspective, the rest of us can too.
Everybody questions themselves all the time, new conflicts arise constantly and people change views many times through out life but a person is much more the individual if he has his own core values and does not feel he has to change and become a sheep who follows blindly just because others do.
Children never keep all their opinions and values through out life, childhood is a learning experience for adulthood.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,987,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
So? I, too, get "offended" - I get very offended by bigotry.

Is the fact that I find bigotry offensive going to change anything? Will it stop people (you) from being bigoted?

I happen to find narrowminded and bigoted people way more offensive than the idea of marriage equality and fairness for all. Are my "feelings" any less valid than yours?
Bigoted? WTF...

Move along spider.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
That all depends if you include advancement. I do. We've advanced in my opinion. Maybe not yours. You might think we are digressing. That's not my deal, it's your opinion.

Wow, you've figured it all out. Guess your done here.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It appears to less offensive to many people as time has gone on.

Most Say Homosexuality Should Be Accepted By Society - Pew Research Center

Not surprised. Elvis pelvis use to be obscene... the frog is completely cooked.

Our society has accepted many perversions, and ways of life. It has become hedonistic, self seeking, and basically will end in extinction for many.

More Murder, Drug overdoses, Suicides, Rape, Disease, etc....

Top it off with Billy has two mommies and you got one F'd up world....

It won't last, Karma will balance the stupid human race, and then it will begin another generation to learn that Man is Stupid and bent on self destruction.

Next subject.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:55 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,461,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
When will gay activists accept that Obama doesn't want gay marriage but will pander to any special interest who will give them their votes? Selective enforcement of laws is pandering to voting blocks.
I don't see why people haven't realized this either. He says nothing for years and right before re-election he pulls words out his a** and says he supports gay marriage.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:41 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,306,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Why do gays insist on taking the term marriage.. what is wrong with civil union? The gays are the ones who are not satified with the term civil union.

We Christians know that the term marriage is only for one man and one woman.

It is God's definition of the word marriage that the gays are trampling on. But God knows who respects his definition and who does not.
Why should ANY AMERICAN be treated like a second class citizen?

This doesn't have a damn thing to with your religion on anybody else's.

You have the right to practice and worship as you choose.

YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO IMPOSE YOUR RELIGIOUS BELIEFS ON OTHERS.

As long as there are laws that determine who is able to get married and who isn't then marriage is a CIVIL RIGHT.

The 14th Amendment provides protection that no state may make a law that abridges the rights and privileges, nor shall they deprive life liberty or property without due process and you cannot deny a person equal protection under the law to Americans that are granted under the United States Constitution.

States that make laws that prohibit same sex marriage are abridging the rights and privileges of people wanting to marry others of the same sex.

It's just that simple.

There isn't a damn thing in the United States Constitution that states homosexuals and lesbians can't get married because of religious reasons.

Now go wave your damn bible somewhere else.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:25 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,558,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Older Democrats who had bigoted attitudes but who voted Dem for every other office.

They voted against 8 and they voted to reelect Waxman. That should say more about the bent of the area than who they vote for in the presidential election.

That western part of Beverly Hills isn't the part that has the most Persians. It's southern Beverly Hills, not west-central Beverly Hills, which has the most Persians, although there are Persians living in the area between Santa Monica Boulevard and Lomitas.

West Side Republicans tend to be Schwarzenegger type moderates, with some libertarians. (I use West Side to define a region including the independent cities of Beverly Hills, Culver City, and Santa Monica, and usually also including West Hollywood, as well as areas within the city of L.A. and unincorporated areas) The GOP candidates for local office are often gay attorneys recruited by Log Cabin Republicans, who run for office so they can have on their resume that they were major party political candidates. In fact Republican activists in the west side of L.A. complain that the party needs to be more pro-gay than the Democrats. Generally, wealthy and educated people regardless of race or party affiliation voted against 8. And yes, there were definitely people who voted for McCain and against 8.
did you ever look over the ed results by district in your version of the West Side?
I never argued that it was majority against gay "marriage" that would be completely ludicrous. I also never argued that there were people who voted for McCain and against 8.
what I'm doing is looking at EDs that have similar demographics except for 1 and you can approximately figure out how a specific demographic voted there. look over the Jewish (by this I mean unassimilated jews for West LA that would be Orthodox and Iranian Jews) areas and compare them to other areas with the same type of non Jewish population but with out the Jewish population and you can extrapolate the Jewish vote.

don't use arguments from Waxman there's a specific pragmatic reason why many Jews vote for him.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:34 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
For those in this thread who have suggested Obama's change of heart isn't a big deal and won't be important in the election....may I point out that it's generated 758 comments in LESS than 48 hours?

Not a big deal, huh?

Old 05-11-2012, 02:08 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
You've never read the KJV bible?

Marriage is spoken of 19 times.

Here is one of them.

Hbr 13:4 Marriage [is] honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.
I said marriage as we know it, and no I haven't read the KJV - as I also said in that post.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:45 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
Well...here we go. I finally go the first of what I suspect will be multiple emails on this subject before it's over. This one is from the Family Research Council ( FRC Homepage) wanting a donation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies