Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:51 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
1. No, I'm not even talking about the cities themselves. I'm talking about the suburban areas, specifically well educated middle and upper middle class suburban areas.

2. Not really. PA use to be a GOP leaning state. The cities have stayed Democratic, the central portion of the state has remained very Republican. The GOP has picked up a ton of ground in the traditional Dem portions of western PA (outside of metro Pittsburgh). Meanwhile, the Dems have picked up a ton of ground in suburban Philly. Suburban Philly outvotes rural western portions of the state, hence the move from lean GOP to lean Dem.

Similar thing in VA. The SW portion of the state was traditionally Democratic, most of NOVA (outside of Arlington and Alexandria) were traditionally GOP. Both areas have swung the other way. NOVA outvotes SW VA hence the shift.
Pittsburgh, which tends to vote Democratic on a local basis, has been moving more and more towards voting GOP on a nationa, and even countywide basis. In 1996 (I believe that was the year) they elected the first GOP member for a countwide seat in nearly 50+ years, but Philly was always known to be Democratic. In the same manner you asked if its better to win people in heavily titled areas, or swing areas, apply this to Philadelphia. Using your own standards, Philly moving more Democratic is meaningless since they've always been Democratic, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 07:53 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Pittsburgh, which tends to vote Democratic on a local basis, has been moving more and more towards voting GOP on a nationa, and even countywide basis. In 1996 (I believe that was the year) they elected the first GOP member for a countwide seat in nearly 50+ years, but Philly was always known to be Democratic. In the same manner you asked if its better to win people in heavily titled areas, or swing areas, apply this to Philadelphia. Using your own standards, Philly moving more Democratic is meaningless since they've always been Democratic, right?
No. A lot of Philadelphia areas counties like Bucks, Chester, Montgomery and Delaware have been swing to Republican. Now they are fairly Democratic at least in POTUS elections.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
No. A lot of Philadelphia areas counties like Bucks, Chester, Montgomery and Delaware have been swing to Republican. Now they are fairly Democratic at least in POTUS elections.
Dem Michael Nutter re-elected Philadelphia mayor | Deseret News

Democrats outnumber Republicans by a more than 6-to-1 ratio in Philadelphia, whose last Republican mayor, Bernard Samuel, left office in 1952.

Thats pretty much what I said above, that they were highly Democratic areas for 50+ years

Old 05-31-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Since when because
Dem Michael Nutter re-elected Philadelphia mayor | Deseret News

Democrats outnumber Republicans by a more than 6-to-1 ratio in Philadelphia, whose last Republican mayor, Bernard Samuel, left office in 1952.

Thats pretty much what I said above, that they were highly Democratic areas for 50+ years
None of those counties are in Philadelphia. They are the suburban ring around it. Republicans won Chester every time until 2008 and Bush took all 4 in 1988.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:00 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
I didn't say Philly proper, I said suburban Philly.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
None of those counties are in Philadelphia. They are the suburban ring around it.
Suburbs are part of the city in PA.. where the hell do you live that they arent? All of the votes for national and state elections are calculated on a county level.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Suburbs are part of the city in PA.. where the hell do you live that they arent?
Most places actually. For example Raleigh is a city. It has suburbs in the form of the towns of Cary, Wake Forest, Apex etc. which are all there own towns.

Just like Philly has suburbs that are not part of Philly like Quakertown, Merion, Drexel Hill etc are Philly suburbs but not part of Philly.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:06 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Suburbs are part of the city in PA.. where the hell do you live that they arent?
You used the Philadelphia mayor's race as an example, the folks in the suburbs do not get to vote in the mayor's race of Philadelphia.

Aside from that, yes Philadelphia itself has long been very Democratic. However, despite the city being strongly Democratic, the suburban counties were traditionally very Republican.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I didn't say Philly proper, I said suburban Philly.
But your not correct regardless. All over the area people have been moving GOP. here is a story from just 2 months ago

Bucks County registered 13,581 new voters between the 2007 general election and the 2008 primary election. This included 8,313 new Democratic voters and 2,985 Republican voters. Also, 13,270 previously registered voters switched to vote in the Democratic Party while 1,151 voters switched their allegiance to the GOP during that same time period.
Bucks County Election Board/Voter Registration Director Deena K. Dean reported that from last November’s general election to March 16, there have been 4,070 new registrations, including 1,449 Republicans and 1,427 Democrats. In addition, there have been 2,744 party changes, 541 to Democratic and 1,533 to Republican.

New voter registrations down from four years ago - www.phillyburbs.com: The Intelligencer: voter registration, bucks county, montgomery county, 2012 primary elections,

With those numbers, its more of a trend, and the 7 individuals in Mississippi is just a representation of a bigger problem for the Democrats.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:09 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Could you imagine how bad the republican party would be if some of the left wing kooks here joined..
Based on some I've seen here, that's the absolute last thing we need.

Can registration be denied?

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies