Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
This is the radical left's war against moderate Democrats. Those Democrats who are pro-life and believe that marriage is between one man and one women no longer have a place at the DNC's table.

Penn. Democratic leader defects to GOP, cites Catholic faith as reason | The Daily Caller
According to poll numbers, this radical right fringe doesn't have a place at America's table - see those SSM marriage support numbers above 50%? If these people from the radical right fringe aren't in favor of gay marriage and want to leave the Dems because of it, so be it. They're out of step with the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
You used the Philadelphia mayor's race as an example, the folks in the suburbs do not get to vote in the mayor's race of Philadelphia.

Aside from that, yes Philadelphia itself has long been very Democratic. However, despite the city being strongly Democratic, the suburban counties were traditionally very Republican.
Also from the link above

In Montgomery County, there were 9,875 new registrations from Nov. 1, 2007, to April 1, 2008, including 5,724 new Democrats and 2,333 new Republicans. In addition, there were 10,280 voters who switched their registrations to Democratic and 939 who switched to Republican during this period.

For this year’s primary election, there have been 4,934 new registrations from Nov. 1, 2011, to March 20. This includes 2,029 new Democratic voters and 1,677 new Republicans. The Democratic Party picked up an additional 837 from switches while Republicans gained 1,698 voters.

Thats a complete switch from just 4 years ago. Again, the 7 individuals here are just a representation of what a lot of people in this country are doing.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Most places actually. For example Raleigh is a city. It has suburbs in the form of the towns of Cary, Wake Forest, Apex etc. which are all there own towns.

Just like Philly has suburbs that are not part of Philly like Quakertown, Merion, Drexel Hill etc are Philly suburbs but not part of Philly.
I used the mayor election simply because it had the registration rolls for the area, but look at the change in registration numbers I posted above. The number of people that used to switch to Democratic are a complete flip flop from just 4 years ago. These 7 people just represent a growing national trend (at least for this election period), and to pretend its just Mississippi, is just silly.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:12 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But your not correct regardless. All over the area people have been moving GOP. here is a story from just 2 months ago

Bucks County registered 13,581 new voters between the 2007 general election and the 2008 primary election. This included 8,313 new Democratic voters and 2,985 Republican voters. Also, 13,270 previously registered voters switched to vote in the Democratic Party while 1,151 voters switched their allegiance to the GOP during that same time period.
Bucks County Election Board/Voter Registration Director Deena K. Dean reported that from last November’s general election to March 16, there have been 4,070 new registrations, including 1,449 Republicans and 1,427 Democrats. In addition, there have been 2,744 party changes, 541 to Democratic and 1,533 to Republican.

New voter registrations down from four years ago - www.phillyburbs.com: The Intelligencer: voter registration, bucks county, montgomery county, 2012 primary elections,

With those numbers, its more of a trend, and the 7 individuals in Mississippi is just a representation of a bigger problem for the Democrats.
Considering at the time of the article was prior to the GOP Primary in the state and still competitive.....

Old 05-31-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Considering at the time of the article was prior to the GOP Primary in the state and still competitive.....
How does that change anything? Cant you discuss an issue without trying to flip flop it into something that its not.

Its clearly a representation that many people are unhappy with the Democratic Party and leaving, just like 4 years ago they were unhappy with the GOP. Call it what it is. You dont switch parties just because of a primary if you support the President and to suggest that one would is ridiculous.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
I used the mayor election simply because it had the registration rolls for the area, but look at the change in registration numbers I posted above. The number of people that used to switch to Democratic are a complete flip flop from just 4 years ago. These 7 people just represent a growing national trend (at least for this election period), and to pretend its just Mississippi, is just silly.
But the mayoral race is not an accurate picture for what Smash and I have said. The City of Philadelphia is democratic. It is the suburbs which are not incorporated or annexed to the city which are the swing areas and which have been fleeing the GOP since the 1980s.

As to the voter registration you are only looking at very small time period if you stretch it out and look for trends I am certain you will see a strong growth in GOP strength under Reagan and Bush in these counties which bleeds away and peaks sometime under Clinton and goes the opposite way after words.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
But the mayoral race is not an accurate picture for what Smash and I have said. The City of Philadelphia is democratic. It is the suburbs which are not incorporated or annexed to the city which are the swing areas and which have been fleeing the GOP since the 1980s.

As to the voter registration you are only looking at very small time period if you stretch it out and look for trends I am certain you will see a strong growth in GOP strength under Reagan and Bush in these counties which bleeds away and peaks sometime under Clinton and goes the opposite way after words.
But the discussion is current events and people changing registration rolls.
Smash tried to portray that this was meaningless because its in Mississippi, and I simply responded with PA because he brought up PA and Philadelphia.

The fact that people changed under Bush and Reagan, (which I acknowedged also was true just 4 years ago), does not change the current exodis taking place from the Democratic Party.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:44 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
How does that change anything? Cant you discuss an issue without trying to flip flop it into something that its not.

Its clearly a representation that many people are unhappy with the Democratic Party and leaving, just like 4 years ago they were unhappy with the GOP. Call it what it is. You dont switch parties just because of a primary if you support the President and to suggest that one would is ridiculous.
1. You always see registration changes prior to a Primary, especially a competitive one. The article you linked to even compares how small of a change this is compared to what went on in 2008

2. The changes really are very small considering the size of the county

3. The voter registration numbers i Bucks as per this article is almost exactly where the numbers were heading into the 2008 election. You can find those numbers on the PA board of elections website. I also tried to dig up the more current update, as well as the Montco numbers now, but the excel file doesn't open properly on my computer for the updatetd registration numbers.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:50 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
But the discussion is current events and people changing registration rolls.
Smash tried to portray that this was meaningless because its in Mississippi, and I simply responded with PA because he brought up PA and Philadelphia.

The fact that people changed under Bush and Reagan, (which I acknowedged also was true just 4 years ago), does not change the current exodis taking place from the Democratic Party.
There is no exodus from the Democratic party. The country is always in flux with some areas becoming more Democratic and some becoming more Republican. Traditional white blue collar areas, and the deep south have been trending Republican for years while suburbs have been trending Democratic. It is a long term thing and to just look at 7 people in Mississippi is like trying to imagine what a 5,000 piece jigsaw puzzle looks like from taking one random piece out of the pile. It pure malarkey.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
1. You always see registration changes prior to a Primary, especially a competitive one. The article you linked to even compares how small of a change this is compared to what went on in 2008

2. The changes really are very small considering the size of the county

3. The voter registration numbers i Bucks as per this article is almost exactly where the numbers were heading into the 2008 election. You can find those numbers on the PA board of elections website. I also tried to dig up the more current update, as well as the Montco numbers now, but the excel file doesn't open properly on my computer for the updatetd registration numbers.
I didnt say the changes are large, but clearly they are taking place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies