Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
No. What I said is prior to a competitive Primary you are always going to have some type of jump in registration for the side having the competitive Primary. This has ALWAYS happened. Its not new to 2012, the changes were much more prominent in 08 than they are now, but it was nothing new to 08 either. It has ALWAYS happened.
I know its always happened.. THATS MY POINT, that THIS YEAR, its going towards the GOP.. and since so many are going GOP, I asked for you to explain how you can discount so many new registrations and you responded with the fact that this was Mississippi, which was why I showed you the same thing is taking place in PA, and even in NC now (using Randoms link)..

Again I ask, if this is taking place all over the nation, (and you, yourself says it ALWAYS happens, so one could assume its taking place elsewhere), then why are you so willing to write off that these 7 people are not an indication of how things are trending RIGHT NOW, when clearly you, yourelf now admit, it ALWAYS happens.

You are telling me I'm wrong, but then you keep explaining that its happening by telling me that it always happens. No ****, thats why I know its happening now..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Sorry for ninja editing but as I said take the long view rather then the there are now 300K more democrats in NC then there were 5 years ago and only 70K more republicans. If you look beyond one or 2 years which involve a primary the trend is clear. People switch parties because they want to have a role in making history by choosing a candidate. If it is no contest on one side people are going to flock to the other side because they like choices.
But we arent discussing 5 years ago, we're discussing current events. The discussion involves whats happening NOW.. not so long ago that the economy wasnt even bottoming out yet.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:52 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I didnt at all ask for proof that presidential primaries get more people registered, I asked for you to show me how everyone who is switching to become a Democrat, can be simply explained away by presidential primaries.

I know dam well that 2007/2008 seen the same thing, but those facts actually dispute your own argument.

I simply stated the obvious, that this election people are registering GOP, or switching their registrations, and you are now validating what I said to be true. With all of these new GOP registrations, why do you think the 7 individuals in this thread is an isolated incident? Remember Smash said this was only because its Mississippi, I proved otherwise.
Its two entirely different things you are trying to equate as one.

What is going on in Mississippi has more to do with rural white southern voters becoming more and more Republican than anything else.

Suggesting that a jump in voter registration right before a competitive primary somehow ties into what went on in Mississippi is absolutely absurd. It has absolutely nothing to do with each other. Two different things. Not to mention any GOP registration jump right before a competitive GOP Primary does not in anyway mean the area is starting trend or revert back to the GOP, or any Dem momentum is slowing down in that area. All it means is well its a competitive Primary just for one side.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Its two entirely different things you are trying to equate as one.

What is going on in Mississippi has more to do with rural white southern voters becoming more and more Republican than anything else.

Suggesting that a jump in voter registration right before a competitive primary somehow ties into what went on in Mississippi is absolutely absurd. It has absolutely nothing to do with each other. Two different things. Not to mention any GOP registration jump right before a competitive GOP Primary does not in anyway mean the area is starting trend or revert back to the GOP, or any Dem momentum is slowing down in that area. All it means is well its a competitive Primary just for one side.
You have absolutely positively nothing to indicate that they arent 1.

Here, since you are having such a hard time understanding, would it be fair to say that so many people registered in 2008 as a Democrat to vote or show support for Obama? I'd venture to say you'd agree with that, so why on gods earth do you not think when it goes the opposite way, that the same isnt true? Do Democrats have this magic shield on which limits people from disapproving of them by changing their registration?

I dont for a second think you'd be here just writing off the registrations if they were still registering Democrat now in the same numbers.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:56 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
Quote:
But we arent discussing 5 years ago, we're discussing current events. The discussion involves whats happening NOW.. not so long ago that the economy wasnt even bottoming out yet.
Five years ago there were 2,494,000(D) and 1,906,000(R) in NC Now there are 2,738,000(D) and 1,977,000(R) in NC.

Nuff said.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Five years ago there were 2,494,000(D) and 1,906,000(R) in NC Now there are 2,738,000(D) and 1,977,000(R) in NC.

Nuff said.
No ones talking 5 years ago.. Do you want to discuss current events, or is distracting from the topic all you can do?

Old 05-31-2012, 09:57 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
I know its always happened.. THATS MY POINT, that THIS YEAR, its going towards the GOP.. and since so many are going GOP, I asked for you to explain how you can discount so many new registrations and you responded with the fact that this was Mississippi, which was why I showed you the same thing is taking place in PA, and even in NC now (using Randoms link)..

Again I ask, if this is taking place all over the nation, (and you, yourself says it ALWAYS happens, so one could assume its taking place elsewhere), then why are you so willing to write off that these 7 people are not an indication of how things are trending RIGHT NOW, when clearly you, yourelf now admit, it ALWAYS happens.

You are telling me I'm wrong, but then you keep explaining that its happening by telling me that it always happens. No ****, thats why I know its happening now..
Its happening now because one side has (well had) a competitive Primary. Changes due to a competitive primary do not mean that any actual GOP trend is taken place. Not to mention since you brought up Bucks and Montco the changes there were insanely small considering the competitive Primay. In act these jumps are so small its rather embarrassing.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Its happening now because one side has (well had) a competitive Primary. Changes due to a competitive primary do not mean that any actual GOP trend is taken place. Not to mention since you brought up Bucks and Montco the changes there were insanely small considering the competitive Primay. In act these jumps are so small its rather embarrassing.
No, whats rather embarassing for you is that you believe we have such a popular president who saved the nation from economic collapse, created millions of jobs, passed healthcare that everyone is loving and embracing etc, but yet peple are registering GOP by a 2-1 margin. The fact that you want to explain it away by discussing the primaries doesnt really meet the accuracy stadards. If Obama was considered such a success, no one would think of taking part in the GOP primaries much less register opposite a wildly successful President, right?

Old 05-31-2012, 10:05 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
Quote:
What is happening now is the GOP is in about the same place as it was 5 years ago in what was/possibly still is the fastest growing state east of the Mississippi, and despite a somewhat interesting primary to boot.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:10 PM

753 posts, read 843,474 times
Democrats in Mississippi? You've obviously never been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies