Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:14 PM

753 posts, read 843,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So your argument now is that these people love Obama but are registering Republican just so they can contribute?
I definitely know of people who changed parties from Dem to GOP here in Florida to vote in the primary. The folks I knew were wanting to vote for Ron Paul but would not be supporting Romney over President Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
No, whats rather embarassing for you is that you believe we have such a popular president who saved the nation from economic collapse, created millions of jobs, passed healthcare that everyone is loving and embracing etc, but yet peple are registering GOP by a 2-1 margin. The fact that you want to explain it away by discussing the primaries doesnt really meet the accuracy stadards. If Obama was considered such a success, no one would think of taking part in the GOP primaries much less register opposite a wildly successful President, right?
Primaries do that type of thing....

A 2-1 advantage in new and switched registrations prior to a Primary that is competitive on only one side is nothing. Absolutely nothing. Hell 08 was 600k to -

Old 06-01-2012, 07:48 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
This race is going to be won or lost in the swing areas, not uber Republican pockets.
The fact of the matter is that the DNC and Obama's policies/agenda are driving out moderate Democrats from the party.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 06-01-2012 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-01-2012, 08:09 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
I definitely know of people who changed parties from Dem to GOP here in Florida to vote in the primary. The folks I knew were wanting to vote for Ron Paul but would not be supporting Romney over President Obama.
Ok, thats actually a real valid point.
Quote:
Primaries do that type of thing....

A 2-1 advantage in new and switched registrations prior to a Primary that is competitive on only one side is nothing. Absolutely nothing. Hell 08 was 600k to -
Would you not agree that people switching registrations indicated that people supported Obama? But you now want us to believe the opposite isnt true as well.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:21 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
This is the radical left's war against moderate Democrats. Those Democrats who are pro-life and believe that marriage is between one man and one women no longer have a place at the DNC's table.

Penn. Democratic leader defects to GOP, cites Catholic faith as reason | The Daily Caller
The Dem's embrace of enshrining immorality will cost them in November, it's inevitable.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:55 AM

374 posts, read 812,980 times
I don't think a lot of outsiders understand the Democratic party in the South. Many assume that just because the region is largely conservative, then that equals Republican. The South was a Democratic stronghold for the majority of American history, and there are many Democrats at the state and local levels. They are, however, different from the Democrats of the rest of the country. There are many old Southern Democrats who dislike the Republican party, but aren't comfortable with the new Democratic party either. Obama lost 40% of the Democratic primary vote in places like West Virginia, Kentucky, Arkansas, and I think Tennessee as well. Arkansas is in the heart of the Bible Belt, but we have only had two Republican governors since Reconstruction, and the majority of local and state offices are held by Democrats. This is beginning to change, and Republicans are becoming much more competitve in areas where they have never been before.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:11 AM

22,191 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Ok, thats actually a real valid point.

Would you not agree that people switching registrations indicated that people supported Obama? But you now want us to believe the opposite isnt true as well.
What I am saying is the changes now are very minimal and changes this small right before a competitive Primary do not mean much. The GOP had a net gain of about 25,000 over the Dems in the year prior to a comptitive Presidential Primary in PA. In the year before the 08 Primary the Dem net gain over the GOP in the state was about 700k.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:58 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
Quote:
What I am saying is the changes now are very minimal and changes this small right before a competitive Primary do not mean much. The GOP had a net gain of about 25,000 over the Dems in the year prior to a comptitive Presidential Primary in PA. In the year before the 08 Primary the Dem net gain over the GOP in the state was about 700k.
So, in a nutshell, when registration favors Democrats, it's a huge indicator of Oblama's popularity. When it favors Republicans, it's meaningless. Got it.

You should be a news anchor on MSNBC.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:02 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I think it's one hell of a good idea from the dems. In hillbilly land like Mississippi, unless you have an (R) next to your name, you're not going to win, not to mention the rednecks will vote for anyone just as long as that (R) is there.
Having the democrats sweeping elections from just changing the letter next to their name is fine by me
I'm good with anything that puts more moderates in the GOP!! Especially in a state like Mississippi!

Old 06-01-2012, 11:10 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,940,220 times
Wow that great trendsetter Mississippi is going to start a trend that will catch on like wildfire! We all know how Americans aspire to be more like Mississippi, being educated, non racist, sophisticated and wealthy is so passe! Mississippi is like the Mike Tyson of states, you believe any insane thing you hear about it because it's likely true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies