Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:51 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,159,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Unemployment Increase Worse for Blacks

The inability of the Obama administration to find any way to alleviate Black unemployment points to a larger failure in American society and our public schools: African Americans will not prosper in the coming years until inner cities become less tightly regulated and highly taxed, public schools reorient to promote entrepreneurialism instead of pre-bureaucracy training and we develop better credit facilities for small business nationwide.

96% of black people vote for this - and I'm not just talking about Obama only, but the whole Democrat government structure.
The unemployment rate for black people could be 50% and they would still vote for Obama. As long as there's a brother in white house that's all that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 07:27 AM

52 posts, read 45,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What about the black community working to solve this problem instead? The black community needs to pull together and make themselves more attractive as an employee resource. And they can start by parents raising their kids to stop immersing themselves in ghetto rap culture and style, and instead working hard at their schoolwork. And the adults should focus on having a better work ethic.

There's good reason why Asians have a better reputation for being solid, reliable and hardworking employees. From what I observe at one of my jobs, there's no way I'd ever want to hire most of my black co-workers. They try to do the least amount of work possible and for some reason they feel that they deserve to eat their employee meal on company time. They even get together in clumps to discuss how to do the least amount of work. When the manager isn't watching them, they tend to stop working completely and just stand talking to each other or texting to friends on their phones, even though company policy forbids them to use their phones at work. All the other races at work have a much better work ethic than the blacks.

I have always felt that hard work should be rewarded. Those that are slackers aren't owed jobs. And I certainly don't want to work with slackers, especially if we are getting the same rate of pay.
Most white people want a level playing field with no unearned advantages but if we live in a world of white privilege.

How does that affect your notion of a level playing field ?

THE FACT IS

White people have a dirty little secret

Some of what you have is unearned. I think much of the fear and anger that comes up around discussions of affirmative action and this topic has its roots in that secret.

You walk through the world with white privilege.

What does that mean ? Perhaps most importantly, when apply for a job

You don't look threatening.

Almost all of the people evaluating you for those things look like you. They are white. They see in you a reflection of themselves, and in a racist world that is an advantage. You smile. You are white. You are one of them. You are not dangerous. You are not terrifying. Even when you get angry, you are cut some slack.

After all, you are white.

Some complain that affirmative action has meant the university and companies are saddled with mediocre minority professors but as Henry Louis Gates Jr. once pointed out, if affirmative action policies were in place for the next hundred years, it's possible that at the end of that time companies could have as many mediocre minority professors as it has mediocre white professors. That isn't meant as an insult to anyone, but is a simple observation that white privilege has meant that scores of second-rate white workers have slid through the system because their flaws were overlooked out of solidarity based on race.

White privilege is not something you get to decide whether or not you want to keep. Every time you walk into a store at the same time as a black man and the security guard follows him and leaves you alone to shop, you are benefiting from white privilege. There is not space here to list all the ways in which white privilege plays out in your daily life, but it is clear that you will carry this privilege with you until the day white supremacy is erased from this society.

Frankly, I don't think I will live to see that day; I am realistic about the scope of the task. However, I continue to have hope, to believe in the creative power of human beings to engage the world honestly and act morally. A first step for white people, I think, is to not be afraid to admit that you have benefited from white privilege. It doesn't mean you are frauds who have no claim to your success. It means you face a choice about what you do with your success

Old 06-05-2012, 07:31 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,157,518 times
I'm convinced that Barack Obama believes his supporters are ignorant and incapable of challenging his policies. Not just his black supporters, but supporters of every race. The actions of this President have been so blatantly inconsistent with the Hope N Change message that he sold to the masses that it's impossible to believe that he has anything other than contempt for those will blindly pull the lever for him.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:32 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,964,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Great, another black thread.
He's only doing it because he knows what's good for the little "coloreds"..

Old 06-05-2012, 07:42 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,262,149 times
Quote:
Not worried - but you seem to take that personally.

Interesting you shrug your shoulders at the unemployment status and the fact that your vote contributes to that. I would think you would want better for us. I know I do - and I know the Democrat government structure (higher taxes, NEA schools, dependant on welfare & unemployment) as it is today won't do jack for the majority of black people.
What i take personally is the stupidity of a post like this posing as some sort of informative essay on how someone else should vote based on YOUR experience.

My vote contributes to black unemployment? GTFOH. Peoples own shortcomings, OR their present bad luck contributes to their unemployment. Don't try to guilt trip me into that bullsh*t with some nonsense about how i supposedly vote. I vote for MY interests based on my beliefs.

You're sucking wind right now. Too bad. Work harder, or go back to school. But don't me that i should vote Republican because you're having a hard time right now.

"I would think you would want better for us." Aint that a b*tch?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:43 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,314,509 times
Quote:
Unemployment Increase Worse for Blacks

The inability of the Obama administration to find any way to alleviate Black unemployment points to a larger failure in American society and our public schools: African Americans will not prosper in the coming years until inner cities become less tightly regulated and highly taxed, public schools reorient to promote entrepreneurialism instead of pre-bureaucracy training and we develop better credit facilities for small business nationwide.

96% of black people vote for this - and I'm not just talking about Obama only, but the whole Democrat government structure.
The national unemployment has ALWAYS been worse for Black Americans and this is particularly true in economic downturns.

This is just a political drive-by trying to blame President Obama for problems that have existed long before he got into office. The reality is if you are a poor person it doesn't matter what you race since 1960 chances are you did better under the Democratic president than a Republican one.

Bush 43
Americans Below The Poverty Level
2001 - 32.907 million 2008 - 39.829 million - increase 21.04%

Overall Population Growth
2001 - 281.475 million 2008 - 301.041 million - increase 6.95%

During the Bush 43 Administration poverty INCREASED three times faster than rate of population growth.

Clinton
1993 - 39.265 million 2000 - 31.581 million - decrease 19.57%

1993 - 259.278 million 2000 - 278.944 million - increase 7.58%

During the Clinton Administration poverty DECREASED 2.5 faster than the population grew.

Reagan
1981 - 31.822 million 1988 - 31.745 million - decrease 0.24%

1981 - 227.157 million 1988 - 243.53 million - increase 7.21%
During the Reagan Administration poverty was relatively flat compared to population growth.

Nixon-Ford
1969 - 24.147 million 1976 - 24.975 million - increase 3.43%

1969 - 199.517 million 1976 - 212.303 million - increase 6.41%

During the Nixon - Ford Administrations poverty INCREASED about half as fast as the population grew.

Kennedy-Johnson
1961 - 39.628 million 1968 - 25.389 million decrease 35.93%

1961 - 181.277 million 1968 - 197.628 million increase 9.02%

During the Kennedy-Johnson Administration poverty DECREASED about four times faster than the population grew.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:44 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,262,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Forgive me for being jaded, but I doubt you give a rats arse that the unemployment rate for Blacks has gone up 0.6%.
He doesn't. You're not being jaded...that's just the simple truth. This whole thread is some agenda pushing garbage. As if it's not transparent enough for everyone to see.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
The unemployment rate for black people could be 50% and they would still vote for Obama. As long as there's a brother in white house that's all that matters.
The reality is there are White Americans who if unemployment was 50% for them they would refuse to vote for a candidate that wasn't White.

So what's your point REALLY?

Old 06-05-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I don't vote based on whether or not they want my votes. I have a family to support. I need to make sure I am working. I need to make sure my kids are educated so they can support themselves. Hopefully I can make enough and save enough so that when I die, I can leave them something. That's what's important to me.

Right now, I see Obamacare as a disaster with regards to my freedom and high taxation. I see the left leads an education system that has failed many inner city black kids from getting the education to support themselves. I see college prices skyrocketing - that bubble will burst soon.

The only thing I hear against the GOP is "whitey's gonna get you". Well who is really getting me if kids aren't being educated properly, or more of my paycheck is being taken away to fund someone else who isn't working?

Then you just haven't been listening. During the Bush 43 administration conservatives had everything their way; low taxes, low regulation, and this whole "Trickle Down" thing was going to work wonders. Instead we got:

The lowest quarterly GDP growth rates of any two term president since World War II at about 2.1% per quarther.

The lowest annual rate of increases for real private fixed investment at 0.624%.

The number of American living below the poverty rate increased by 21.04%

The worst record of job creation for any president since they started keeping records.

Now here comes Mitt Romney who is basically George W. Bush Jr. 2.0 with the same song and dance, low taxes, less regulation, and "Trickle Down" economics.

Sorry I'm not buying.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:04 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,846,198 times
Quote:
Not worried - but you seem to take that personally.

Interesting you shrug your shoulders at the unemployment status and the fact that your vote contributes to that. I would think you would want better for us. I know I do - and I know the Democrat government structure (higher taxes, NEA schools, dependant on welfare & unemployment) as it is today won't do jack for the majority of black people.
LOL so people are voting to lose jobs instead of for a person. Weird mind set you have (in my Yoda voice).

Quote:
I just don't get why we (black people collectively) keep voting democrat at a 95% rate when there is no return on investment.

The only thing important to Obama that he needs from black people is the charges against whites for racism. He needs the fight. He needs white people feeling intimated or guilty about race. He doesn't care if black people work or not. He may talk about jobs, but what has he done? Just take off the bedroom slippers and put on the marching shoes.

2011-SEP Obama: 'Stop Complaining' - YouTube
So now the Democratic party is a mutual fund LOL! I only expect a return on my investments in the stock market, my kids (since I put a lot of hard work into them) and my work, not some politician or political party.

Oh and forgot to add, ITA with what the president said in that video. People do need to keep working and striving and keep perservering and stop complaining. Complainers get nothing accomplished. That speech was evidence of the OPs own short comings in complaining about something but doing nothing about it. It is evidence of what is wrong in our country right now period, we are all complaining too much about BS and not doing what we need to do to to accomplish the goals we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Peoples own shortcomings, OR their present bad luck contributes to their unemployment.

I would think you would want better for us." Aint that a b*tch?
This is true, people are unemployed most of the time due to their own personal lives or bad luck. Not because someone is president.

And as for me, I do want better for black people, but I also don't expect any political party to make it any better for anyone. We (all people in all communities) have to make it better for ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies