Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:50 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,229,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Unemployment Increase Worse for Blacks

The inability of the Obama administration to find any way to alleviate Black unemployment points to a larger failure in American society and our public schools: African Americans will not prosper in the coming years until inner cities become less tightly regulated and highly taxed, public schools reorient to promote entrepreneurialism instead of pre-bureaucracy training and we develop better credit facilities for small business nationwide.

96% of black people vote for this - and I'm not just talking about Obama only, but the whole Democrat government structure.
Which goes to show the democratic party has a goal to enslave blacks by offering social programs to them for generations. Rather then allow them to achieve as individuals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 11:55 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Why should the GOP even care? On just about any issue that you can think of, black folks are usually their own worst enemy anyway.

What the GOP needs to focus on in securing the Latino vote which is larger, more diverse and much more significant in this upcoming election.
You still don't get it.

For me, ultimately it's not about securing votes, or which party wins. It's about making life the best it can be for black folks (since I'm black, but white and anyone else also).

I just see the Democrat party as it is now as a hinderance to black achievement in general. And despite that, 95% keeps voting for these people.

In too many cases, you are right - we are our own worst enemy, whether it's those who speak "Ebonics", or the visible boxer shorts, or the demeaning of women, or the behavior resulting in single parenthood. I think Obama could have put a big dent in those bad habits if he cared and put forth the effort and used the influence of his position and status.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:02 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,014,135 times
Quote:
You still don't get it.

For me, ultimately it's not about securing votes, or which party wins. It's about making life the best it can be for black folks (since I'm black, but white and anyone else also).

I just see the Democrat party as it is now as a hinderance to black achievement in general. And despite that, 95% keeps voting for these people.

In too many cases, you are right - we are our own worst enemy, whether it's those who speak "Ebonics", or the visible boxer shorts, or the demeaning of women, or the behavior resulting in single parenthood. I think Obama could have put a big dent in those bad habits if he cared and put forth the effort and used the influence of his position and status.
I am black as well and yes I get it.

I've spoken about this issue numerous times both online and in person with other folks, and many are simply sedated to the point that their current conditions are normal to them. I have come to the conclusion, that in general blacks are just a welfare class, and they always will be. No amount of reasoning, logic or debating is going to change that preference. They are simply comfortable that way. Trying to discuss otherwise is seen as an attack on that particular preference. And I say not to denigrate anyone, but as an expression of completel and utter honesty.

Aside from that, if the GOP expects to have a chance on winning over minorities, they better look to Latinos. Latinos will take them into consideration and they will hear them out and critisize both parties well enough to make them earn their votes.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:26 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,044,371 times
Quote:
Here are the numbers

Black popoulation - 29,854,000
Blacks in labor force - 18,290,000
Blacks NOT in labor force - 11,564,000

Blacks unemployed - 2,484,000 (13.6% of black labor force vs. 7.4% of the white labor force)

Put the unemployed and those not in the labor force together - 14,048,000 (47% of the black population vs. 40.5% of the white population)
Who are the 11.5 million unemployed? Are these all people of working age?

Old 06-05-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I am black as well and yes I get it.

I've spoken about this issue numerous times both online and in person with other folks, and many are simply sedated to the point that their current conditions are normal to them. I have come to the conclusion, that in general blacks are just a welfare class, and they always will be. No amount of reasoning, logic or debating is going to change that preference. They are simply comfortable that way. Trying to discuss otherwise is seen as an attack on that particular preference. And I say not to denigrate anyone, but as an expression of completel and utter honesty.

Aside from that, if the GOP expects to have a chance on winning over minorities, they better look to Latinos. Latinos will take them into consideration and they will hear them out and critisize both parties well enough to make them earn their votes.
I see - you have pretty given up on the majority black population. I guess I'm not there yet.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:34 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,014,135 times
Quote:
I see - you have pretty given up on the majority black population. I guess I'm not there yet.
I wouldn't say "given up" just more so in favor of leaving people to their own devices and having the chips fall where they may. All I ask is that if a Republican does win--just don't whine about it. They tried and they were brushed away.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Who are the 11.5 million unemployed? Are these all people of working age?
Sorry - forgot the link - Employment Situation News Release

The total population number is the civilian noninstitutional population, which refers to people 16 years of age and older residing in the 50 States and the District of Columbia who are not inmates of institutions penal, mental facilities, homes for the aged, and who are not on active duty in the Armed Forces.

If the unemployment number (2,484,000) is defined as the number of people not employed but actively seeking work (within a 4 week period) - then the 11.5 not in the labor force are unemployed and labeled as NOT looking for work.

Those not looking for work include those who...
  • have stopped looking for work because current economic conditions make them believe that no work is available for them.
  • are able to work, but have not looked for work recently.
  • want to work full time, but cannot due to economic reasons - so they are working part time.
Those three groups are not included in the labor force numbers that are noted as the official unemployment rate (U3).

Old 06-05-2012, 12:52 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,306,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Which goes to show the democratic party has a goal to enslave blacks by offering social programs to them for generations. Rather then allow them to achieve as individuals
That's really funny in 1960 the poverty rate for Black Americans was over 40% and over 9 million Black Americans were living below the poverty level. Fifty years later the population of Black Americans has double to almost 40 million people but the number of Black Americans living below the poverty level is only about 10 million.

Also in 1960 only about 4% of Black Americans had a four year college degree or higher in 2010 about 19% have a four year college degree or higher. About 46% of Black Americans that are high school graduates attend college that is an all time high.

Also here are the U.S Census Bureau stats for Money Income Distribution By Families 1980 to 2008 in (Constant Dollars)

Table 695 Money Income of Families - Percent Distribution By Income Level in Constant (2008) Dollars

In 1980:

29.4% of Black families had incomes of $50,000 a year or more

In 2008

40% of Black families had incomes of $50,000 a year or more

The number of Black families with incomes of $50,000 or more increased by 36.05%.

In 1980

41% of Black American families made less $25,000 a year

In 2008

31.5% of Black American families made less $25,000 a year

The percentage of Black American families making made less than $25,000 a year decreased by 19.7% from 1980 to 2008.

How can you or anybody else say that Democratic Party is "enslaving" Black Americans if the long term poverty rate is DECREASING. The percentage of Black Americans with four year degrees is INCREASED at TWICE the population growth rate while the number of Black families with income of $50,000 is INCREASING and the number of Black American families with incomes below $25,000 is DECREASING?

The fundamental problem with your assertion is THEY AREN'T BASED ON FACTS.

Which means the opinion that you are expressing is BASED ON A BIAS.

And since your BIAS reflects a negative opinion of Black Americans NOT based on facts and you choose to lump ALL Black Americans in the same category without regard to education or income, or anything else the only conclusion one can draw is that YOU ARE PREJUDICED AGAINST BLACK AMERICANS.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:53 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,044,371 times
[quote=DRob4JC;24612049]Sorry - forgot the link - Employment Situation News Release

The total population number is the civilian noninstitutional population, which refers to people 16 years of age and older residing in the 50 States and the District of Columbia who are not inmates of institutions penal, mental facilities, homes for the aged, and who are not on active duty in the Armed Forces.

If the unemployment number (2,484,000) is defined as the number of people not employed but actively seeking work (within a 4 week period) - then the 11.5 not in the labor force are unemployed and labeled as NOT looking for work.

Those not looking for work include those who...
  • have stopped looking for work because current economic conditions make them believe that no work is available for them.
  • are able to work, but have not looked for work recently.
  • want to work full time, but cannot due to economic reasons - so they are working part time.

Those three groups are not included in the labor force numbers that are noted as the official unemployment rate (U3).[/QUOTE

Table A-2. Employment status of the civilian population by race, sex, and age

11.5 million black people not working = 13.6% black ue rate and the 7.4% white ue rate = 69 million unemployed caucasions. What are those white people doing for money?

Old 06-05-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Table A-2. Employment status of the civilian population by race, sex, and age

11.5 million black people not working = 13.6% black ue rate and the 7.4% white ue rate = 69 million unemployed caucasions. What are those white people doing for money?
That's not right.

The 13.6% is 2,484,000 black unemployed people looking for work within the 18,290,000 black work force. And the 7.4% is the 9,222,000 white unemployed people looking for work within the 123,989,000 white labor force.

The 11.5 million blacks and 69.5 million whites are outside of the labor force and are considered as unemployed not looking for work (even though may of them need work). They are not counted in the 13.6% and 7.4%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies