Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:52 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Bumping duplicate thread
MODS: Please combine with "I Thought Obama Would Be Different....Look at Minority Unemployment"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 09:52 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
I Though Obama Was Going To Be Different. Look At Minority Unemployment.

Yooperkat, I've read many of your posts on many different threads and based on them I can comfortably rest assured that there was never a moment when you thought Obama was going to be "different". Give me a break.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:57 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,481,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
He is different, Obama realizes that their isn't a presidential magic wand to instantly fix the economy which is why he wants to invest in things that can set the majority of Americans up to have a better future with educaton being the key. Investments don't always reap obvious rewards instantly. Republicans simply want to give further handouts to those that already have the most. We know this doesn't work but they want to keep doing it.
I agree that education is good.

How are people going to pay off student loans for a Bachelors degree when they aren't working?

Hell, good plan to go to college I guess.

But, only 70% of minorities graduate from high school.

I think Obama is failing because he isn't really addressing the problems.

He is actually making it more difficult for a person of any stripe to find employment.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I Though Obama Was Going To Be Different. Look At Minority Unemployment.

Yooperkat, I've read many of your posts on many different threads and based on them I can comfortably rest assured that there was never a moment when you thought Obama was going to be "different". Give me a break.
Geez.

I said I thought Obama was going to be different -- because the Democratic Party said he was going to be different.

I knew he wouldn't be.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:02 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
In dismal jobs report, unemployment rate of minority workers rises - latimes.com

"Black unemployment now stands at 13.6%, up from 13% the month before; for Latinos, the unemployment rate rose to 11% from 10.3% in April."

Why should minorities stand strong with Obama when his policies are making life worse for them?
He is different...look at all the change we got.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Geez.

I said I thought Obama was going to be different -- because the Democratic Party said he was going to be different.

I knew he wouldn't be.
Ha, ha, ha. When did you ever believe anything the Democratic party said. I mean, seriously?

I can see it now. You sitting there slack jawed, watching MSNBC in total awe that Obama was going to put all the black people back to work and believing it.

Not that I mind. You're a worthy opponent in the political opinion ring.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:09 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
You represent Liberal thought in this country. All Liberals agree with you.

No wonder minorities are leaving the Democratic party.
Sorry one opportunistic politician leaving the Democratic Party doesn't constitute large numbers of Black Americans leaving the Democratic Party.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
In 2008 Barack Obama won the election with 43% of the non-Hispanic White vote.
Thats because Americans are racist.. Ask Obama.. he'll tell you..

Old 06-06-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
He is different...look at all the change we got.

Ya see?

This is what it's going to come down to in November.

Obama has turned out to be the biggest divider this country has ever seen.

Different? No.

He's in bed with Wall Street, He's a war monger, He's got no idea how to improve the economy, He's lied about Guantanamo, He's broken his promise to fix our immigration problem and He's running his re-election campaign on nothing.

No Accomplishments. Wow, vote for Obama, He's a loser.

Last edited by Yooperkat; 06-06-2012 at 10:24 PM..

Old 06-06-2012, 10:16 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Inflation has been low for over a decade now.

A lot of smart but financially illiterate people make that mistake (not realizing how huge an effect it has decade-to-decade even if the year-to-year changes have been small recently), give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

edit: on topic, from a larger strategic and game-theoretic perspective yes, the 'black community' (insomuch as an ethnic community is a coherent thing which can have wider political interests, which is debatable at best) throws away most of their political capital and influence by not swing voting, but, I don't think you can really argue convincingly that it would be in the interests of an individual democrat who happens to be African-American to vote for a republican just so they could honestly tell a pollster they did so if asked.
He's not comparing "a decade" he's comparing nearly 30 years of inflation. It's simply ridiculous to even think about comparing a 50k income in 1980 has the same purchasing power of that it in 2008. The idea that "decade-to-decade, year-to-year changes have been small recently" is a contridiction in and of itself. All in all with any decent inflation calculator we are looking at more than a 150% increase in inflation over that period of time. Giving him the benefit of the doubt on that wouldn't be anymore rational than making Mickey Mouse President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies