Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:21 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirate05 View Post
They've been told how to vote. Its easier to not think about/question it.
More accurately, they've been told that if you vote GOP, you're welfare checks will be cut off. And many Democrats wonder why we equate welfare to blacks, even though there are more whites on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 10:24 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Let me guess. You're a Republican shill trying to use this to convince Black voters to vote against Obama?

How does tight regulation and "high" taxation (comparative statistics, please) hurt Blacks? Wouldn't it primarily hurt the White-owned businesses and corporations located in downtown areas ? This sounds like an attempt to disguise a pro-corporate agenda as a pro-Black one. You'll have to provide more info in order to convince us.
I am trying to get black people out of the mindset that Dems are good, and GOP is bad when the Dems do virtually nothing for black people. The GOP ain't great either - but at least they will allow people to succeed on their own.

Am I against Obama? Yep. But not in a "my team versus your team" mindset. I want black people to succeed and be the best we can be. That's the end goal. I don't give a flip about the majority of people in Congress - but it's the general tone of each party and how they affect daily living.

Tight regulation raises the cost of products. It also makes reduces the amount of cash companies may have to hire more people. And if regulations raise the cost of production too much, then the compnay folds and everyone looses their jobs. Many black teens can't get jobs because the minimum wage (regulation) is too high. Shop and store owners would love to hire them and give them the work experience, but the amount of work they produce does not justify the high wages.

High taxation, especially corporate taxes - well those costs are passed on to the consumer. Also, if the cost of business is too high, then the company moves overseas - that's less jobs for people in the U.S., black or white.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:53 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,477,180 times
You know what I find funny about these races threads is that they are contradictory. First it black people need to fix their community, then it's Democrats did this to Black people, then it's Republican and fix your problems. Then someone comes in says something stupid about most black people speak ebonics and their reputation for poor work ethic, blah blah blah.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:59 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,044,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Are you serious? I would venture to say that black people are worst off then they were 50 years. We have a high drop out rate, high out of wed lock birth rate, high unemployment rate, high poverty rate, high hiv/aids rate, high abortion rate, I mean what exeactly has democrats done to make life in the black community so great that blacks keep voting at a 90% rate for democrats?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
More accurately, they've been told that if you vote GOP, you're welfare checks will be cut off. And many Democrats wonder why we equate welfare to blacks, even though there are more whites on it.
If the unemployment rate is 13.6% then 86.4% of blacks are employed. Whatever.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:01 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Um no, this means that either 86.4% of them are employed OR NOT LOOKING..

Unemployment rates are only for those LOOKING FOR WORK..

Old 06-05-2012, 11:04 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Quote:
Actually incorrect. The UE only counts those looking for work who are 16 years old and older. So it's incorrect to say 86.4% of Blacks are employed.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:09 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,044,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Um no, this means that either 86.4% of them are employed OR NOT LOOKING..

Unemployment rates are only for those LOOKING FOR WORK..
So how many of the 86.4% are not working because they aren't looking? To some people on CD it's a 100%

Old 06-05-2012, 11:29 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
So how many of the 86.4% are not working because they aren't looking? To some people on CD it's a 100%
Here are the numbers

Black popoulation - 29,854,000
Blacks in labor force - 18,290,000
Blacks NOT in labor force - 11,564,000

Blacks unemployed - 2,484,000 (13.6% of black labor force vs. 7.4% of the white labor force)

Put the unemployed and those not in the labor force together - 14,048,000 (47% of the black population vs. 40.5% of the white population)

Old 06-05-2012, 11:38 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,014,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I am trying to get black people out of the mindset that Dems are good, and GOP is bad when the Dems do virtually nothing for black people. The GOP ain't great either - but at least they will allow people to succeed on their own.

Am I against Obama? Yep. But not in a "my team versus your team" mindset. I want black people to succeed and be the best we can be. That's the end goal. I don't give a flip about the majority of people in Congress - but it's the general tone of each party and how they affect daily living.

Tight regulation raises the cost of products. It also makes reduces the amount of cash companies may have to hire more people. And if regulations raise the cost of production too much, then the compnay folds and everyone looses their jobs. Many black teens can't get jobs because the minimum wage (regulation) is too high. Shop and store owners would love to hire them and give them the work experience, but the amount of work they produce does not justify the high wages.

High taxation, especially corporate taxes - well those costs are passed on to the consumer. Also, if the cost of business is too high, then the company moves overseas - that's less jobs for people in the U.S., black or white.

Why should the GOP even care? Politically they've already shown their cards when Mitt Romney went to West Philly to discuss their issues and they quickly bum rushed him out of there. Either way, on just about any issue that you can think of, black folks are usually their own worst enemy anyway.

What the GOP needs to focus on is securing the Latino vote which is larger, more diverse and much more significant in this upcoming election.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:47 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
All I am saying that there is no return on investment from the years of 95%+ of support of Dems by black people. Kids in the inner city are not getting the tools to change their destiny. DC had a voucher program that was making a difference. The GOP tried to renew this - Dems let it wither on the wine a couple of years ago and parents were upset. Many school systems are day care centers with standardized tests thrown in to keep educators honest.

Dems in Congress have no incentive for making things better for black people - and why should they? They already get basically all of the black vote. Why change what works FOR THEM?

Years ago Farrakhan said something on Meet the Press - one of the few things I agree with him on 100%. He said Democrats take advantage of black people. Republicans ignore black people. That's not word for word - but it's the main idea. It's to the Dems advantage that blacks are kept down and dependent. At least on the right if we can get the tools, they won't hold us back from acquiring wealth.
You don't get it. I'm a Roosevelt Democrat...AKA, an Eisenhower Republican. That's my philosophy. Why should I vote AGAINST that just because some blacks aren't doing well? If blacks are doing poorly, then they've gotta find a way to do better. Voting for the Republican Party sure as hell ain't gonna fix anything despite what you may think. Besides, I'm doing quite well. What do I have to complain about?

Secondly, I don't vote for the Dems because I'm black. I vote for them because they're philosophically closer to what I believe in. What...am I supposed to change philosophies just because YOU don't like the one I have now? That's arrogance. I vote for the person that will benefit all of America, not just African Americans. If all of America benefits, then blacks will too.

Lastly, as is very indicative from the posts on C-D, your party simply doesn't like black people and I don't give a damn what you say to the contrary. The Republican party is and will remain a party that hovers somewhere between indifference and outright hostility (if not outright hatred) of black people. I'm black....and I'm not a masochist nor am I suicidal. I'm not voting for people that hold me in contempt. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies