Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 12:06 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,226,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
These sickos just wanted to shoot somebody. They probably would have shot her in the head but I can see it now, they were uncertain about the legality of the situation and shot her in the hip, to play it 'safe.' To see that young woman, drunkenly stumbling around, as a threat is insane. To see her as so threatening you shoot her is impossible. It was a full grown man and woman in the apartment, and some drunk blonde college girl accidentally comes in, and you feel so scared you shoot her? These sick ****s should be in prison for the rest of their lives, to protect the rest of the population from their anger and stupidity.
You may want to actually READ some of the press releases on this incident before you deliver another misinformation fueled speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 05:31 AM

46,313 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
These sickos just wanted to shoot somebody. They probably would have shot her in the head but I can see it now, they were uncertain about the legality of the situation and shot her in the hip, to play it 'safe.' To see that young woman, drunkenly stumbling around, as a threat is insane. To see her as so threatening you shoot her is impossible. It was a full grown man and woman in the apartment, and some drunk blonde college girl accidentally comes in, and you feel so scared you shoot her? These sick ****s should be in prison for the rest of their lives, to protect the rest of the population from their anger and stupidity.
Pure stupidity^^^^^

Typical ignorant leftist rant who has no clue what they are even responding too.

Pushing the left wing agenda....gun bad, gun owned by redneck only, ugggg, dumb person scared of blonde....

Old 06-21-2012, 05:58 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Is not the purpose of punishment to teach a lesson?
What "lesson" is there to be taught at this point? Seems to me, "Don't just wander into someone else's house (drunk or sober) or you might get shot!" is a lesson. Or, do you mean more along the lines of, "I'll teach you to call my mama fat!" right before the fists start flying?

Quote:
I don't think that she deserves jail time per se, but she does deserve community service or a fine and she really needs to attend substance abuse classes.
That you're using the word "deserves" pushes me even further away from agreeing with you. She did something stupid, yes. That doesn't mean she deserves any kind of hardship on top of being shot! What the hell did she do but frighten a couple of people for a brief moment? Hell, it wasn't even reported that she accidentally broke a picture frame, for crying out loud!

Substance abuse classes I can get on board with. The rest is just wanting to punish her because it makes you feel better, which is exactly what's wrong with the system today, if you ask me.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
What "lesson" is there to be taught at this point? Seems to me, "Don't just wander into someone else's house (drunk or sober) or you might get shot!" is a lesson. Or, do you mean more along the lines of, "I'll teach you to call my mama fat!" right before the fists start flying?

That you're using the word "deserves" pushes me even further away from agreeing with you. She did something stupid, yes. That doesn't mean she deserves any kind of hardship on top of being shot! What the hell did she do but frighten a couple of people for a brief moment? Hell, it wasn't even reported that she accidentally broke a picture frame, for crying out loud!

Substance abuse classes I can get on board with. The rest is just wanting to punish her because it makes you feel better, which is exactly what's wrong with the system today, if you ask me.
What word would you use then?

I'm speaking more as a parent here. I have 5 kids and my 3 boys went thru a phase where they got into trouble. Sometimes it involved the police.

I didn't bail them out, get them lawyers or coddle them. I went to court, stood next to them as the judge sentenced them to community service,classes and levied fines for what they had done. I made damn sure they completed every condition given.

The things they did were mild in comparison to what Ms.Ripple did., a few fist fights, rearranging a Halloween display and the ever classic burning bag of poop on the front porch.

Regardless, they had to cowboy up and deal with it. Now, I have 3 fine young men that any mother could be proud of!

No, I don't think she should go to jail over this. She also doesn't DESERVE to walk away with nothing more than a scar and a great story either.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
What word would you use then?
"need". Because saying someone "deserves" a particular punishment implies that you're just trying to get them back for something, rather than do what the situation truly calls for. To solve the problem.

Quote:
I'm speaking more as a parent here. I have 5 kids and my 3 boys went thru a phase where they got into trouble. Sometimes it involved the police.

I didn't bail them out, get them lawyers or coddle them. I went to court, stood next to them as the judge sentenced them to community service,classes and levied fines for what they had done. I made damn sure they completed every condition given.

The things they did were mild in comparison to what Ms.Ripple did., a few fist fights, rearranging a Halloween display and the ever classic burning bag of poop on the front porch.
Hmmm, I'm assuming they were sober when they did all this? Not that it makes a HUGE difference, either way. I'd hesitate to call any of that "mild in comparison" to what this girl did. In fact, it's more tempting to say they "deserved" a punishment (though I won't). Because it sounds much more like habitual troublemaking than a one-time mistake.

Quote:
Regardless, they had to cowboy up and deal with it. Now, I have 3 fine young men that any mother could be proud of!

No, I don't think she should go to jail over this. She also doesn't DESERVE to walk away with nothing more than a scar and a great story either.
That is a gross understatement of what it's like to get shot, I submit. Like I said, I think it wrong to use the language of what a person "deserves" regarding punishment, especially when there isn't any reason to believe they were actually trying to cause trouble. No, the important thing is correction and deterrence. She's already been put through enough punishment to match the offense. Any further punishment is for the psychological kicks of those punishing her.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
"need". Because saying someone "deserves" a particular punishment implies that you're just trying to get them back for something, rather than do what the situation truly calls for. To solve the problem.

Hmmm, I'm assuming they were sober when they did all this? Not that it makes a HUGE difference, either way. I'd hesitate to call any of that "mild in comparison" to what this girl did. In fact, it's more tempting to say they "deserved" a punishment (though I won't). Because it sounds much more like habitual troublemaking than a one-time mistake.

That is a gross understatement of what it's like to get shot, I submit. Like I said, I think it wrong to use the language of what a person "deserves" regarding punishment, especially when there isn't any reason to believe they were actually trying to cause trouble. No, the important thing is correction and deterrence. She's already been put through enough punishment to match the offense. Any further punishment is for the psychological kicks of those punishing her.
Yep, my boys not only DESERVED punishment, they got it, not only from the court but from me as well.

Apparently, it was exactly what they NEEDED because they straightened right up.

Maybe i'm a mean Mom but I see nothing wrong with a person, drunk or sober, having to deal with the consequences of their behavior.

To expect any less does them a great disservice, and it sends the wrong message.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Yep, my boys not only DESERVED punishment, they got it, not only from the court but from me as well.

Apparently, it was exactly what they NEEDED because they straightened right up.
Even if we are to assume every bit of their punishment was needed (i.e., necessary), it does not apply here. Like I said, we're talking about one drunken mistake vs a series of provocations while sober. Not comparable.

Quote:
Maybe i'm a mean Mom but I see nothing wrong with a person, drunk or sober, having to deal with the consequences of their behavior.
If you thought the consequences were too much, you would though, right? If someone was given the death penalty for stealing a candy bar, surely you wouldn't approve of that in the name of said person "having to deal with the consequences of their behavior"?

Also, on the word "deserve", you do realize this is entirely subjective. It's all based on your personal values and the emotional reaction you have to hearing of any given offense. If someone close to me was killed by a drunk driver, I might say anyone caught drunk behind the wheel deserves to be locked up for life. Who can argue that, without getting more logical than talking of what one "deserves"?

Quote:
To expect any less does them a great disservice, and it sends the wrong message.
The message has already been sent to this one: Wander into a house uninvited, and you're liable to get shot. I think the only way to really send this girl the wrong message at this point would be to allow the ones who shot her to be punished, which I'm certainly opposed to.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:38 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,690,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
She did not break into to the house.

"A girl who drunkenly wandered into a house and was shot by the owners might do time in state prison."

"she stumbled through an unlocked screen door and into the home of Doreen Orion and Timothy Justice."
Since when did an unlocked screen door become an invitation to drunkenly stagger into the home of strangers?

Last edited by 43north87west; 06-21-2012 at 11:59 AM..

Old 06-21-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Even if we are to assume every bit of their punishment was needed (i.e., necessary), it does not apply here. Like I said, we're talking about one drunken mistake vs a series of provocations while sober. Not comparable.

If you thought the consequences were too much, you would though, right? If someone was given the death penalty for stealing a candy bar, surely you wouldn't approve of that in the name of said person "having to deal with the consequences of their behavior"?

Also, on the word "deserve", you do realize this is entirely subjective. It's all based on your personal values and the emotional reaction you have to hearing of any given offense. If someone close to me was killed by a drunk driver, I might say anyone caught drunk behind the wheel deserves to be locked up for life. Who can argue that, without getting more logical than talking of what one "deserves"?

The message has already been sent to this one: Wander into a house uninvited, and you're liable to get shot. I think the only way to really send this girl the wrong message at this point would be to allow the ones who shot her to be punished, which I'm certainly opposed to.
I thought we were talking about irresponsible behavior and it's consequences.

I thought we were talking about people who engage in irresponsible behavior having to own what they did and face the consequences.

I didn't realize that we were making an exception for Ms.Ripple because her irresponsible behavior resulted in her being shot.

My bad

Old 06-21-2012, 11:30 AM

2,548 posts, read 2,164,689 times
Quote:
I thought we were talking about irresponsible behavior and it's consequences.

I thought we were talking about people who engage in irresponsible behavior having to own what they did and face the consequences.

I didn't realize that we were making an exception for Ms.Ripple because her irresponsible behavior resulted in her being shot.

My bad
If getting shot is not a consequence, what is? Do you want a public stoning? Would that make you happy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies