Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2012, 04:07 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Very simply, because homosexuality and its stresses on sexual identity among the adults, let alone impressionable young children, is not present in a heterosexual family. The latter presents children with a mother and father, the traditional symbols of the union of opposites and exemplars of normal family life and love. It is crucial to discriminate in such cases in favor of what is healthiest and best for the child. Am I arguing that no gay people should ever be able to adopt? Certainly not. But to insist on increased vigilance, to set the bar higher for such unusual unions as potential homes where innocent children -- who may not share the pioneering spirit of their would-be same-sex parents -- are involved? Of course! It would be a dereliction of our duty as responsible adults, regardless of sexual orientation, to argue otherwise.
I disagree with much of your first few sentences, as there isn't really any evidence to support this belief... but I don't have the energy to argue every point, so I'll just say any "extra vigilance" should also be bestowed upon straight couples who adopt. For those (both gay and straight) who have their children naturally, they should be as free from scrutiny as any other parent.

Quote:
Your reference to gays "experiece(ing) problems like anyone else" is telling. When is the last tie you read about any problems with gay parenting anywhere in the media, aside from the rejection/discrimination/dirty looks they receive from straights?
It's not telling at all, when you also include a word I put in the original sentence - CAN. I never said whether they do or not, I only said it's as possible as with any parenting situation. Personally I haven't heard about issues with children raised by gay parents, at least none outside the scope of typical childhood experiences. I've closely known a few of these children over the years, and in my observations they were no less stable or happy than any other.

Btw, I also meant "problems" in a very general sense... wasn't necessarily referring to parenting, and was actually thinking more of the usual stuff like sadness, financial difficulties, stress, etc. I mean, who doesn't have the occasional problem at some point??

Quote:
My experience on this Forum on this topic has been unrelievedly unpleasant due to the unmitigated hatred I have received from nearly every pro-gay poster. They first mock my religion; learning that I am not a Christian, they move on to insult my intelligence; learning that I am as erudite as they are, they call me names or attack my references as "homophobic rubbish" from "hate groups" (which they assume means that they can make assumptions based on their own propaganda, and expect me to take it for truth. When I do not, they become even more furious. This is usually when I get added to "Ignore" lists. Their loss.).
I'm sorry you've had a bad time with these threads, but some topics just get more heated than others. I try to avoid calling anyone hateful names myself, as I know that serves no purpose whatsoever - not to mention it violates the TOS. As long as you show me a certain level of respect, I will show at least an equal amount in return.

This isn't the only subject that can become volatile, however, as you'll notice if you peruse certain other threads. How do you feel about people calling me a baby-killer, supporter of murder, not fit for parenting, etc, all because I support a woman's right to choose? I've also been called a n-lover for dating interracially, a fraud and "Israel firster" (among other things) for being Jewish, promiscuous for having used birth control, etc, etc. I'm not saying two wrongs make a right, since I honestly wish the name-calling on ALL sides would stop... unfortunately it probably will not, especially on a board where the whole premise is to discuss politics & controversies. Maybe it's best to stay off the gay threads, then? I usually stay out of certain topics, like those regarding illegal immigration, for that very reason. Just not worth the rise in blood pressure!

Quote:
I also find it very suspicious whenever I encounter a controversial sociopolitical movement which has effectively silenced virtually all reputable media criticism of its methodology, goals, and motivation. As a life-long skeptic, I cannot help but perceive any monolithic social movement composed largely of relatively wealthy individuals, which has achieved immunity from said media criticism, to be more like a vehicle of oppression than of the oppressed.
I'm not really the skeptical type myself, and think you might be bordering on paranoia here... but who really knows? I have no evidence to support otherwise, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Honestly, I feel it's a simple matter of changing attitudes, to the point where much fewer ARE vocal opponents now. When the supporters so greatly outweigh the opponents, it sometimes can seem like a conspiracy or "silencing" is afloat. I dunno.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-11-2012 at 04:16 AM..

Old 08-11-2012, 04:48 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

It's not telling at all, when you also include a word I put in the original sentence - CAN. I never said whether they do or not, I only said it's as possible as with any parenting situation. Personally I haven't heard about issues with children raised by gay parents...
Which is my point. I've never heard of any problems at all in the media. Ever. I find that very curious. You don't. Whatever.

Quote:
I've also been called a n-lover for dating interracially, a fraud and "Israel firster" (among other things) for being Jewish
I'm glad I haven't had to defend my interracial marriage. And I've been hit with the Israel thing, too. And I'm not even Jewish!

Quote:
Maybe it's best to stay off the gay threads, then?
I try to, until I come across bullying by people who really ought to know better...

Quote:
I usually stay out of certain topics, like those regarding illegal immigration, for that very reason. Just not worth the rise in blood pressure!
So true. I tried the illegal immigration topics, and ended up getting hammered from both sides. Which I guess is a compliment.

Quote:
When the supporters so greatly outweigh the opponents, it sometimes can seem like a conspiracy or "silencing" is afloat. I dunno.
I can't agree. Every time the voters are given a chance, they say the opposite from the talking heads and Hollywood. It's scary, but hey. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me, right?

Thanks for taking the time and for the advice. I appreciate it.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 08-11-2012 at 04:58 AM..

Old 08-11-2012, 04:53 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Quote:
That's for sure.....

In The Male Couple, authors David P. McWhirter and Andrew M. Mattison report that in a study of 156 males in homosexual relationships lasting from one to thirty-seven years: Only seven couples have a totally exclusive sexual relationship, and these men all have been together for less than five years. Stated another way, all couples with a relationship lasting more than five years have incorporated some provision for outside sexual activity in their relationships. Most understood sexual relations outside the relationship to be the norm, and viewed adopting monogamous standards as an act of oppression.

In Male and Female Homosexuality, M. Saghir and E. Robins found that the average male homosexual live-in relationship lasts between two and three years.

In their Journal of Sex Research study of the sexual practices of older homosexual men, Paul Van de Ven et al. found that only 2.7 percent of older homosexuals had only one sexual partner in their lifetime.

(Source: Orthodoxy Today / Timothy J. Dailey, Ph.D)

AGAIN ... That group would NOT be those wishing to Wed or adopt children.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:53 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
As for how will a "kid know whether he is supposed to fancy girls or boys'. It's how their brains
developed while they were a fetus in the womb which directs that.
how about those children that have latent bisexual tendencies?

these need to be ironed out by correct parenting, and a hetero situation is needed here, to encourage the child that girl and boy is the correct way.

Orientation choice, in cases such as these, can be rectified if caught early enough.

Last edited by Kenneth-Kaunda; 08-11-2012 at 05:06 AM..

Old 08-11-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
Oh yes children don't have sleepovers with their friends. They don't watch TV in their homes. They don't read books and/or magazines in their homes. Yes those poor little mites whose parents give them a hug and maybe a kiss good night, possibly read them a bed time story as they fall asleep
how unnatural.
they may have a sleepover now and again, but probably not that often on average.

and books, tv, facebook and the like , are not substitutes for the real thing - that is of hetero parenting, with the psychological and emotional rewards it provides, as determined by nature.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:00 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
AGAIN ... That group would NOT be those wishing to Wed or adopt children.
In your opinion. Which is fine.

But it's not worth sacrificing even one child's well-being to find out.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
In other words, how can somebody support heterosexual adoption even with evidence of occasional problems, but not support homosexual adoptions for that same reason?
Because s.s adoption goes against the order of nature.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:12 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Quote:
In your opinion. Which is fine.

But it's not worth sacrificing even one child's well-being to find out.

So the Heterosexual couples that have EVER had sex with anyone other than their current wife/husband should be prevented from adopting too?

How many Heterosexuals have had more than one partner in their life?

You guys seem to think these couples just go in and buy a child like they are buying furniture.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:25 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
(to Yeledaf) So the Heterosexual couples that have EVER had sex with anyone other than their current wife/husband should be prevented from adopting too?

How many Heterosexuals have had more than one partner in their life?
These people will never hold heterosexuals to the same standard they hold gays to. They'll never be as quick to judge a heterosexual's failures and faults, and make generalizations based on isolated stories. Such is the nature of prejudice. Heterosexuals wind up abusing/neglecting children because of drugs, stress, etc. Homosexuals abuse/neglect just because they're all evil

Old 08-11-2012, 06:51 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Because s.s adoption goes against the order of nature.
So do IVF, surrogacy, single parenting and adoption for heterosexuals, but for some reason those situations don't bother you.

Is it really possible for somebody to be so blind to their hypocrisies, or is it intentional? I wonder sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies