Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 05:14 PM

506 posts, read 1,160,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
Sunset + 2 luv
I think that it's RUDE when people ask what you do for a living and you don't answer.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:23 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,063,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
I think that it's RUDE when people ask what you do for a living and you don't answer.
I love you too toots!!!

See that is the problem. You proved my point very well. You feel that an individual is obligated to answer your question. As I have proven to you, I, nor is anyone else obligated to answer . You deemed it as rude because of your preconceived expectations that one should answer you--and in actuality that is a fallacy

But thank you kindly for keeping this thread going xoxoxox

Old 07-29-2012, 05:36 PM

506 posts, read 1,160,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
I love you too toots!!!

See that is the problem. You proved my point very well. You feel that an individual is obligated to answer your question. As I have proven to you, I, nor is anyone else obligated to answer . You deemed it as rude because of your preconceived expectations that one should answer you--and in actuality that is a fallacy

But thank you kindly for keeping this thread going xoxoxox
But, the thing is that you can't fire me! Poor man who lose a job and might struggle putting food on table for his family thanks to you and your weird way of thinking.

You're like Mitt who like to FIRE people!

Old 07-29-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
But, the thing is that you can't fire me! Poor man who lose a job and might struggle putting food on table for his family thanks to you and your weird way of thinking.

You're like Mitt who like to FIRE people!
Sunset--You truly amuse me Sincerly, you do.

Its quite obvious by your posts that your train of thought is clearly NOT as breath taking as your name..lol Have a great week luv

Old 07-29-2012, 06:02 PM

260 posts, read 657,053 times
As a conversation starter, no, I don't find that question rude.
If someone who is charging me/my DH services asks, yes, I find it a very rude question. They are sizing up what to charge you based on what they think you can afford. I've had it happen, my husband has experienced it as well.
And, when we have gone out of town, I've also experienced that we'll be charged differently based on how well we are dressed in some convenience stores, it's always the stores that don't have prices listed on the shelves. We'll walk into a convenience store dressed in nice business/formal attire and be charged a certain amount. Then we may go in the next morning in just plain John/Jane, casual clothes, and get charged less for the same item(s).

Old 07-29-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowHorse View Post
As a conversation starter, no, I don't find that question rude.
If someone who is charging me/my DH services asks, yes, I find it a very rude question. They are sizing up what to charge you based on what they think you can afford. I've had it happen, my husband has experienced it as well.
And, when we have gone out of town, I've also experienced that we'll be charged differently based on how well we are dressed in some convenience stores, it's always the stores that don't have prices listed on the shelves. We'll walk into a convenience store dressed in nice business/formal attire and be charged a certain amount. Then we may go in the next morning in just plain John/Jane, casual clothes, and get charged less for the same item(s).
EXACTLY!!! I figured he was sizing me to see how much he could get. I do not like that. I have never been to a store that doesn't have labels and charges based on appearance. What part of the country did you experience that? Thats awful.

Last edited by chica_bella813; 07-29-2012 at 06:25 PM..

Old 07-29-2012, 06:20 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
They ask because they are nosy and boring people, they have nothing else to talk about rather than politics, work, and kids.

Plus, they need to classify people and they do that according to the person's job. A garbage collector will be put in a lower class than a bank tell, despite the salaries being the same. It is part of some people's longing for some sort of aristocratic system that gives people some sort of self importance over others in society.

This goes along with the proliferation of BS acronyms next to a person's name.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:25 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Are you saying that one has to answer ( and elaborate??) every question someone asks??? I don't think so!!
I am going to tell people only what I think is suitable or necessary for them to know.
Frankly except few that by law need to know it, no one else is entitled to know anything about me.
It is entirely up to me who I choose to share information about me, my work, my family, my finances or my life.
Are they going to call me rude? Fine! Not that I care about that sort of people.
In a casual gatherings I was asked all kinds of questions, like how old I am , where I work, what I do, how much I make... and you know what was my reaction? I smiled and walked away or changed a subject. And when someone persisted ( which IS extremely rude), I just said that I really don't see a reason to share that information. Simple and politely.
What is the reason for people to ask those questions? To gossip?

Old 07-29-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Are you saying that one has to answer ( and elaborate??) every question someone asks??? I don't think so!!
I am going to tell people only what I think is suitable or necessary for them to know.
Frankly except few that by law need to know it, no one else is entitled to know anything about me.
It is entirely up to me who I choose to share information about me, my work, my family, my finances or my life.
Are they going to call me rude? Fine! Not that I care about that sort of people.
In a casual gatherings I was asked all kinds of questions, like how old I am , where I work, what I do, how much I make... and you know what was my reaction? I smiled and walked away or changed a subject. And when someone persisted ( which IS extremely rude), I just said that I really don't see a reason to share that information. Simple and politely.
What is the reason for people to ask those questions? To gossip?
I LOVE your train of thought sista!!! PREEEACH!! Love it. My sentiments EXACTLY
+1

Old 07-29-2012, 06:41 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
well you know what I used to do when someone asked me that ? I would say Oh Im a fraud claims investigator for a law firm needless to say I could not tell you the awful looks I got and how they just all of a sudden walked to the other side of the room and started talking to someone else LOL !!! I just did that to see how ppl would raact too funny . I would be peeved though if someoen asked me what I made or what I drove . My family I dont mind discussing but the job thing yeah who cares what someone does for a living . I was at a dinner party and one guy told everyone he was a paramedic and i was like yeah okay and went on talking . Now to boldy come out and say that is kind of rude to me but anyways i think it is hilarious the looks I get . Of course I dont really do that as a job im disabled now . but it was such a hoot in my younger days .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies