Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 07:10 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times

Advertisements

It is rude because here in America people for the most part judge others based upon their economic status and usually look down on others who arent financially on par with them. I have a friend who when asked what he does for a living tells them "I'm a stock boy at Stop n Shop". Meanwhile he holds a pretty prestigious position at Morgan Stanley and does very well for himself. It's a playful way of telling them......"none of your business".

Old 07-30-2012, 07:11 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
but what if your job is toilet cleaner at Macdonalds?

that may be something you may not be so keen to share.
But I wouldn't judge you for it either. If someone judges you for your profession, that's their problem, not yours.

Often not asking the question can be seen as a silent message. As a blind person, people often avoid asking me what I do for a living, because they think the answer is "getting benefits." But that actually isn't my answer, and by not asking, they're sending the message that they assume I need government help just cause I'm disabled. Honestly, in a culture where asking is the norm, not asking can be seen as rude.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:32 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,603 times
america is all about the money, people look down on the poor and then complain about finding a mate.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:35 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
america is all about the money, people look down on the poor and then complain about finding a mate.
But when a lot of people ask about someone's profession, they're not asking to gauge income. It's about finding out what the person spends most of their life doing. A lot of people spend a substantial amount of their waking hours at work, and so knowing what they do at work tells you a lot about them as people. Personally, I often don't even know how much a specific profession earns someone in salary, so asking about their job really doesn't give me any more or less information about how much they make. If I really was scouting out that kind of information, knowing where they live and visiting their home would give me a much better idea.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:52 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
Have you ever been out at a gathering with people you meet for the first time and everyone is getting along well and then someone asks "hey what do you do for a living??"

I find that to be rude. I read that in France you could go to a dinner party every other night with several couples for a year and NO ONE would dare ask what you do for a living. They would ask questions like what book did you read last, Or have you visited the Louve museum or some sort of museum or discuss the arts.

But why do we Americans have the tendency to do this?? I hired someone to do some work for me and that was one of the questions he asked me--I was immediately turned off. My reply was do you base your fee upon occupation??? He was silent. Very evident he didnt like that response. Its as if alot of Americans feel entitled to know what you do for a living as a way to size you up.

So then he says wow I never met someone so secretive about their occupation--Are you a top government official on an assignment. At that point I terminated his contract and taught him a very good lesson in professionalism. You are here to do a job, not attempt to pass judgement or size up your client.

What are your thoughts?? Anyone else find this question rude and annoying??
So you terminated someone just because they asked you a very commonplace question that 99.999% of American society deems to be perfectly ok, akin to asking "so how was your weekend?"

That's rude.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:59 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Have you ever been out at a gathering with people you meet for the first time and everyone is getting along well and then someone asks "hey what do you do for a living??"

I find that to be rude. I read that in France you could go to a dinner party every other night with several couples for a year and NO ONE would dare ask what you do for a living. They would ask questions like what book did you read last, Or have you visited the Louve museum or some sort of museum or discuss the arts.

But why do we Americans have the tendency to do this?? I hired someone to do some work for me and that was one of the questions he asked me--I was immediately turned off. My reply was do you base your fee upon occupation??? He was silent. Very evident he didnt like that response. Its as if alot of Americans feel entitled to know what you do for a living as a way to size you up.

So then he says wow I never met someone so secretive about their occupation--Are you a top government official on an assignment. At that point I terminated his contract and taught him a very good lesson in professionalism. You are here to do a job, not attempt to pass judgement or size up your client.

I think it's rude in a professional setting but, sadly , the norm in social settings.

I would find it rude if the guy I had out to give me an estimate on painting my house asked....it's none of his business....it's actually nobody's business.

But people like to gauge people they meet...it's a pecking order thing....and they mistakenly think your job defines you and let's them know(they think) how wealthy you are.

Neither of these assumptions are necessarily true......

On the other hand it's a lot more interesting than listening to endless stories of what their grandkids are doing..... thwe only other topic people seem to have..

Old 07-30-2012, 08:03 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,585,553 times
Lightbulb What do you do for a living--How Rude!!

What's a whole lot ruder is when someone mentions a new car/TV/dishwasher/whatever that they've recently gotten and one of the first things they'll hear is "How much did you pay for it?"

Old 07-30-2012, 08:03 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,503,523 times
I think it is rude and very boring.

As if we don't have anything else to talk about than work all the freaking time.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:07 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,503,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
But when a lot of people ask about someone's profession, they're not asking to gauge income. It's about finding out what the person spends most of their life doing. A lot of people spend a substantial amount of their waking hours at work, and so knowing what they do at work tells you a lot about them as people. Personally, I often don't even know how much a specific profession earns someone in salary, so asking about their job really doesn't give me any more or less information about how much they make. If I really was scouting out that kind of information, knowing where they live and visiting their home would give me a much better idea.
SAD AND BORING!!!

When I am out in a social setting the last thing I want to hear about is someone's work. I know there is so much more to people.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:12 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:

I actually think it is quite silly that you think a question like that is rude. Perhaps someone is asking to start or continue the conversation or maybe they would like to get into the same profession and you could possibly point them in the right direction or guide them.

If you like France so much because they don't ask this question go back there then you are not annoyed or being treated in such a rude way and Americans don't have to lose sleep over being so rude and annoying to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies